PDA

View Full Version : Eric H Day - Aviation Artist

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 17:19
I've seen a few of Mr Day's piccies hanging up in various messes around the RAF and being a bit of a fan of his style, was wondering if anyone has ever had anything commissioned by him?
If so, what does he charge?
I've searched the internet for weeks now but haven't found any mention of him anywhere other than a) A vulcan print on ebay a few weeks back, and b) A mention at ehangar.com. (Trouble was that it was only a mention, not a jot of detail anywhere!)
Although he's no Ronald Wong, his pieces have a charm to them and I assume he'd be reasonable enough as he's not so well known.
Can anyone help?

A2QFI
22nd Nov 2006, 17:36
I am not disparaging the gentleman when I say that I saw him in Oman at least 20 years ago and he was in the early stage of some debilitating disease like Parkinson's and had a noticeable tremor in his hands. This obviously gave him some diffiulty with sketching and painting. I would have thought that by now he will certainly have given up art and may well, regretfully, have passed away. I shall be happy to be corrected if anybody knows differently.

Wensleydale
22nd Nov 2006, 17:41
I think that he is now the late Eric Day... I am open to ridicule (normal day to day for me) if I am wrong but I think that he passed away a couple of years ago. One of my ex-sqns has a watercolour by him, but sadly we were too late to ask permission from him to make copies.I agree that his paintings captured that certain character of the aircraft. I would have liked a copy myself.

MG
22nd Nov 2006, 17:50
From what I remember, he died something like 10 years ago. I was in a similar position, thinking 'how much does he charge?' and then found out I was rather too late.

rudekid
22nd Nov 2006, 17:53
There is always the Guild of Aviation Artists who, in my experience, are very helpful in getting you in touch with one of their members.

You get what you pay for though...

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 18:10
Thanks rudekid, I tried the guild of aviation artists a few weeks back. No dice I'm afraid. Although he was a member, it seems that the site admin bod had had no correspondance with Eric in many years.

It seems like sadly, the first couple of replies might prove to be bang on the money. There goes that commission I think, looks like I was too late.

One of life's regrets then maybe.....

Thanks for the replies gents.

N Joe
22nd Nov 2006, 18:21
I got one of his paintings as a present in 94 from my parents and heard from them shortly after that he had passed on. I think 3 independent rumours of death constitues proof.

hobie
22nd Nov 2006, 18:31
here's one .... a must for the Herc guys surely .... :confused:

5 days to go .....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-C-130-HERCULES-AVIATION-PAINTING-by-Eric-H-Day_W0QQitemZ300051599675QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20132QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300051599675

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/79/49/8dd5_3.JPG

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 18:38
That's gorgeous. It's a shame I'm not a Herc man! (Although I am tempted!) Wonder if there is still a GR1 painting out there somewhere....

Thanks hobie. And thanks to all who answered, I'm sure you'll understand me saying that I wasn't pleased to hear many of the replies, but you have my heartfelt gratitude all the same.

Toddington Ted
22nd Nov 2006, 19:09
Yes, I was informed that Eric died several years ago. He occasionally visited RAF Finningley (where many of his water colours hung in the Officers' Mess and in other locations on the Stn) and, when he was there on one occasion I asked him for a commission for, yes, you've guessed it, some water colours of a couple of GWR steam locomotives. I thought he might be dismissive (most of my colleagues are!) but he welcomed a change from aircraft and produced some lovely images, quite cheaply iirc. What did I do? I sold them at a car boot (to an RAF Officer I might add!) because I didn't have room any more in the house for them (its called marriage I think!) and I regret selling them.:(

handysnaks
22nd Nov 2006, 19:50
Bograt (M** R**v*s) is not a bad hand with the old sable and oil. He's with the AEF at Church Fenton or Leeming, not sure which one..

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 20:41
You're not Charles McHugh then are you? Shameless hijacking of someone else's thread sir!
This is about Eric H Day!

I wonder if any of the Herc crews have seen that post by Hobie earlier? I see it's being bid on by a sapper. Be a shame to see it go to the Army!!

Aynayda Pizaqvick
22nd Nov 2006, 20:55
I think Mel R is still on 11 AEF at Leeming. I have seen some of his stuff and although it is a different style (oil) from the late Mr Day, i thought it was VERY good. A guy I know got him to knock up a painting from a photo he had so he is very flexible. Ex Chinook pilot and an absolutely top bloke!

hobie
22nd Nov 2006, 21:00
did you spot the location of the Herc painting on ebay ...... :confused:

Item location:Ruislip, Middlesex

I hope it's not AWOL from a 'Mess' in Northolt ..... :p

A2QFI
22nd Nov 2006, 21:12
At slight tangent to hobies question, where does all the disbanded squadrons' and closed stations' silver and paintings get sent for storage? Used to be Quedgeley I think. Sometime ago an inventory of Governement and MOD paintings showed hundreds to be 'unaccounted for'.

flipster
22nd Nov 2006, 21:12
There used to be a lot of Eric's fine work on the walls of North Luffenham Offs Mess. Wonder where they all went? Somewhere suitable I hope, as I believe Quedegley shut some years ago!
It would be an absolute scandal if these (and other works of art) were languishing in a damp, cold shed. ... or worse, on some underhand sh!t's lounge wall!

QFIhawkman
22nd Nov 2006, 21:16
At slight tangent to hobies question, where does all the disbanded squadrons' and closed stations' silver and paintings get sent for storage? Used to be Quedgeley I think. Sometime ago an inventory of Governemtn and MOD painting showed hundreds to be 'unaccounted for'.
Last time I had to send a piece away it went to Innsworth. It was a rather nice solid silver Gloster Meteor posed in the vertical climb. I wanted to keep it, but I remeber a rather gruff Officer at Inns insisting it went to him!
As for paintings, I couldn't tell you, probably the same place!

BEagle
22nd Nov 2006, 21:42
Back in around 1978 I went with a couple of chums to Eric's studio near Market Rasen. An unbelievable place, untidy as hell with some weird wallpaper, but clearly the lair of a mildly eccentric genius. Chum wanted a couple of Vulcan water colours commissioned and after a chat, Eric agreed....

And fabulous they were too!

Fatjoff
23rd Nov 2006, 12:27
I wonder if any of the Herc crews have seen that post by Hobie earlier? I see it's being bid on by a sapper. Be a shame to see it go to the Army!!

But at 36 quid, it hasn't met its reserve price. I would imagine that to be at least triple figures.

You'd think the Sqn would be interested in bidding for it.

Combine Harvester
23rd Nov 2006, 12:39
I wouldn't mind bidding for it myself but I can't seem to get E-bay to load on this confounded DII shambles.........

QFIhawkman
23rd Nov 2006, 13:22
See: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253319

It explains why you'll never get on ebay at work again! Muuaahhahaha!

I suppose if you needed to bid, there's always the 'puter at home. I think the Herc pic has about 4 days left so there's no great rush. (Erm, unless you're in the sandpit of course).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Nov 2006, 13:48
I did a google search for Eric Day painter and got:

ericthepainter.com
Eric the Painter. Professional Interior / Exterior Painting. Specializing in ... "Eric showed up for work with a positive attitude each and every day. ...
www.ericthepainter.com - More from this site (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuthCs2VF8VoAyEpXNyoA/SIG=145u7jqfq/EXP=1164379330/**http%3a//search.yahoo.com/search%3fp=eric%2bday%2bpainter%26ei=UTF-8%26fr=slv1-%26vst=0%26vs=www.ericthepainter.com)
which I think might be a different person :p

Oh the joys of technology :ugh:

Myra Leese
23rd Nov 2006, 18:57
Several years ago now I was given a book which contained many of Eric Day's paintings and I used the information in the aircraft descriptions to help study for OASC. Sadly, I lent the book to my cousin for the same purpose and he never gave it back, much to my regret as the paintings were all excellent.

hobie
23rd Nov 2006, 20:07
I lent the book to my cousin for the same purpose and he never gave it back, much to my regret as the paintings were all excellent

Give him a call and tell him PPRuNe says he has to give it back to you ......... :)

A2QFI
24th Nov 2006, 07:04
There was also a nice unsigned unframed print of a Vulcan over Lincoln cathedral which went for £6 earlier this month.

Gainesy
24th Nov 2006, 09:25
QFIHawkmate, if you want the aforementioned Bograt's details PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward it to him. (He rarely comes on here).

Dan Winterland
24th Nov 2006, 09:44
I was the house member at Swinderby when it closed. Not the secondary duty to have as it's your job to dispose of all the mess property. Anything that isn't requested buy other messes goes to a place called Quedgely where it's stored in boxes never to see the light of day again. The place has huge amount of nice stuff, but as it's controlled by Stores Branch (sorry Supply or Logisitcs or whatever the'ye called these days), they store it and you can't get it hung on the wall in your mess without the Monarchs signature - or something.

When Swinderby closed, I was amazed at how much the stuff we had was worth. The most valueable piece was a painting which the valuer told me was an old Dutch master and was worth over six figures, maybe seven! So I removed it from it's place over the toaster in the dining room, where it had collected a certain patina from all the dining in night food fights and locked it in the silver room. Allegedly, it's now hanging in the MOD main building. I wonder if it really is!

Anyway, we all had Eric Day originals commissioned as leaving presents. Chipmunks flying over Lincoln Cathedral. I called his house two years later (in 1995) to comission a painting for a Sqn at Cranwell. The phone was answered by his sister who informed me he had died the week before.

A talented Artist. Rest in peace.

flipster
24th Nov 2006, 16:41
I think that Quedegly is now closed, so to where has all the proverbial (or otherwise) family silver gone?:uhoh: :uhoh:

QFIhawkman
24th Nov 2006, 17:59
I think that Quedegly is now closed, so to where has all the proverbial (or otherwise) family silver gone?:uhoh: :uhoh:

Innsworth.

hobie
24th Nov 2006, 18:17
QFI ..... the Herc is now at 60.00 and above reserve .... :)

QFIhawkman
24th Nov 2006, 18:45
QFI ..... the Herc is now at 60.00 and above reserve .... :)

So I see... I'm keeping an eye on it! :E

So I'm not a Herc man, but it's nice all the same! I believe that one other PPRuNer is also taking an interest.

BEagle
24th Nov 2006, 18:49
And where will all the treasures go when Binnsworth closes......??

flipster
24th Nov 2006, 20:30
It seems strange to think that what once filled many hangars/warehouses at Quedgley has been dispersed around the little spare space at Binnsworth?

I might be a bit over-suspicious but I have seen some blanket-stackers in action! For example, where do all those near brand new CS95, flying suits and aircrew watches etc at airshow stalls come from?

Any journos care to have a sniff around (under FOI) to check if everything is still accounted for?

QFIhawkman
24th Nov 2006, 23:32
It seems strange to think that what once filled many hangars/warehouses at Quedgley has been dispersed around the little spare space at Binnsworth?

I might be a bit over-suspicious but I have seen some blanket-stackers in action! For example, where do all those near brand new CS95, flying suits and aircrew watches etc at airshow stalls come from?

Usually the manufacturers. If you did a search on this matter you'd see that it's been discussed. "The Helpful Stacker" has defended his corner rather well, and I know for a fact that the MOD Police and the RAF Police conduct checks on the supply system and generally convict no more than one or two dodgy suppliers every few years, usually civilians. The cops do a pretty good job of monitoring the market.

As for Quedgely Vs Innsworth. Well I wouldn't know, as I've said before I've only had to send off a few items on the closure of my last Unit. They were small and valuable, so I assume space would not be an issue at Innsworth. We wouldn't be talking hangars.

And just to get back to the subject.....
At least Eric has caused debate in his absence! I will definately keep an eye on that painting on ebay. It would be a shame to see it go outside the RAF... It's only £60 at the moment but let's face it, it's worth every penny of £300- £1000 with the artist being ten years deceased. Wish me luck guys.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
26th Nov 2006, 19:19
Don't worry, at this stage in the bidding it is NOT going outside the RAF;)

flipster
27th Nov 2006, 09:11
Thanks QFI

You may be right about the military clothing stuff but I am still suspicious!!!!

Have you ever thought of all the RAF bases that have closed and sqns disbanded since the end of the cold war? That is an enormous amount of silverware, books and paintings etc to go somewhere and I believe it was 'hangar-sized' at Quedgley.

I just hope that our heritage is being well looked after, that's all. With all the cost-savings going on at present (even at the front line, where we hardly look after the serving and living very well), it would not suprise me to find that some bits of long-past memorabilia are being less well looked after than they should be.....and human nature being what it is????!

hobie
27th Nov 2006, 10:07
todays the day ..... :hmm:

End time:10 hours 17 mins (27-Nov-06 21:21:11 GMT)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-C-130-HERCULES-AVIATION-PAINTING-by-Eric-H-Day_W0QQitemZ300051599675QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20132QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300051599675

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/79/49/8dd5_12.JPG

flipster
27th Nov 2006, 18:48
I'll watch with interest but either its actually a print or its got grubby finger prints all over it...shame!

QFIhawkman
27th Nov 2006, 18:53
You've got better eyesight than I have! Where's the finger marks?
It can't be a print anyway, I've asked. :} If it turned out to be something other than what the seller was claiming, you'd get your money back through paypal even if he disputed it. But having said that he's extremely clear when he states what it is. I.e. Original watercolour by the artist.
That reminds me anyway, time to bid!

hobie
27th Nov 2006, 19:10
I'll watch with interest but either its actually a print or its got grubby finger prints all over it...shame!

Well I've studied a large size version of the ebay photo and I have to say I can't see the "grubby finger prints" either ....

I wonder if flipster is really bikini96 ? ...... :p

FJJP
27th Nov 2006, 19:18
£77 and ONE hour to go...

QFIhawkman
27th Nov 2006, 19:19
Well I've studied a large size version of the ebay photo and I have to say I can't see the "grubby finger prints" either ....

I wonder if flipster is really bikini96 ? ...... :p

Hmm, there's a thought!
As I say, all I could see was the dirt down the edges from the previous mounting. And after all, I did contact the vendor and he's happy to refund without question if not delighted.
I'll have to see if I can outdo flipster (AKA bikini96!) with a brave "sniper" attack at the end!

hobie
27th Nov 2006, 20:24
Winning bid:£123.51

Winning bidder:pjc0987 (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/pjc0987/)http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif( 4 (http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=pjc0987&iid=300051599675) ) http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/79/49/8dd5_12.JPG

flipster
27th Nov 2006, 21:07
While I might fit a size 96 bikini, t'was not me bidding - however, I'm flattered you think of me that way!!

Unfortunately, the bidding got way out of my league, I'm afraid!

Well done to the highest bidder, I hope he's ex UK Hercs.

Flipster

QFIhawkman
27th Nov 2006, 21:42
I got lost in a (quick!) phone call with the wife and look what happens... (Cheers Mrs!).

I was aiming at going in with a sniper bid of £200 as well, last few minutes. It was worth £300 easy.

Ah well, someone got a bargain. Good luck to him.

hobie
27th Nov 2006, 21:50
I watched the last couple of minutes (refreshing screen) ...
In the last minute about 6 bids suddenly arrived (automatic bids?) .... :confused:

QFIhawkman
27th Nov 2006, 22:58
I watched the last couple of minutes (refreshing screen) ...
In the last minute about 6 bids suddenly arrived (automatic bids?) .... :confused:

Not a big ebay user then hobie?

Here's how it works: You bid your maximum amount. But it won't necessarily bid that high for you if it's not needed.
Yes, a form of auto bidding if you like. It just keeps topping someone else's bid by 2 pounds as long as you've bid way above.

That last minute frenzy you witnessed is known as ebay "sniping". Trying to pick off the prize for a well judged bid in the last 30 secs. That very thing which I failed to achieve thanks to the Mrs's well timed (or otherwise) phone call.

Hope that explains it.

Always a Sapper
27th Nov 2006, 23:15
Flat laptop battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................ aaaaaaaaaagh!!! ahh well no picture for my wall :* and it was going so well.... :{

hobie
28th Nov 2006, 09:29
Not a big ebay user then hobie?

Indeed not but if I ever need a painting of a Herc it's the first place I will look in the future .... :)

Aynayda Pizaqvick
28th Nov 2006, 11:13
Sorry guys, I'm the quilty party. I'm not on Hercs but at least it will be staying in the RAF, even if only on my wall;) Who knows, if they see fit to give me a multis cross-over I might even have a moment of generosity and donate it to LXX:ok:
p.s. no delibrate sniping on my behalf, just a last minute change of heart as to how far I would stretch my budget!

hobie
28th Nov 2006, 11:50
well done Aynayda Pizaqvick .....

as long as it's gone to a good home .... :ok:

ps. why not print out the above posts ...... store them in an envelope at the back of the painting and in a 100 years someone will open it and say "wow!!!! ..... look at this"

bazzer
14th Jan 2008, 17:37
I was that RAF officer that purchased your 2 Eric Day paintings of GWR steam locomotives. The reason I found the entry was that I Googled Eric Day because I was thinking of disposing of the paintings which have been stored away in the attic for many years. Would you really be interested in getting them back?

Chairborne 09.00hrs
14th Jan 2008, 18:19
Looks like another of his works is available on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eric-Day-Contemporary-Jet-Aviation-Watercolour-Painting_W0QQitemZ120208336795QQihZ002QQcategoryZ66528QQrdZ1 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Toddington Ted
15th Jan 2008, 05:17
Bazzer

I'm on temporary "holiday" in H Province at the moment but please pm me if you want.

Rakshasa
15th Jan 2008, 06:19
Back in around 1978 I went with a couple of chums to Eric's studio near Market Rasen. An unbelievable place, untidy as hell with some weird wallpaper, but clearly the lair of a mildly eccentric genius. Chum wanted a couple of Vulcan water colours commissioned and after a chat, Eric agreed....

And fabulous they were too!

Funny this should come up. I wonder, Beags.. I attended an auction in Newark several years ago and two of Erics pictures were up; a Gladiator and another of Vulcan banking over Lincoln Catherdral. Didn't bid on the Vulcan but it went for around £400. I got outbid on Gladiator too. :(

Al R
15th Jan 2008, 06:46
I did a quick search for him on Ebay and all that came up was this Vulcan (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aviation-Print-VULCAN-over-Lincoln-by-Eric-Day-Ltd-Ed_W0QQitemZ200190794962QQihZ010QQcategoryZ20143QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) print. I smiled when I saw the ground detail. I never knew the man, but he sounds as if he was the sort of person who would finish the cathedral, plop his brush down and simply say 'Right, that really is it. I've had 50 years of banking over bloody Lincoln in this and banking over bloody Lincoln in that. I'm off for a pint, sod it'.

If so, top bloke. :E

I love 'old' aviation artwork, but never having flown or worked on those aeroplanes that make me wistful, I've always thought it a conceit to hang any. Perhaps its the military mindset of hanging around our walls, memories of what we did, and not what we like? I have zilch in the way of military memorabilia at home, but perhaps I might just look a little more deeply into getting one or two really nice pieces that I had nothing to do with.

I've enjoyed ambling through this thread.

Rakshasa
15th Jan 2008, 06:52
Heh! That's the one.

marguerita
15th Jan 2008, 21:00
I was a big fan of his style, having seen then hanging in messes various. Ended up buying 4 over a few years. The last of which was, I believe, his last but one completed painting in 1994. Even then they were still amazing value, I paid GBP45 and got a framed, original watercolour with glass. You couldn't buy a decent print in Athena for that.

Great shame he's gone. Lovely man and fascinating to see his work-shop.

mstjbrown
17th Jan 2008, 09:40
Marguerita

He was a splendid courteous gentleman and an ex- RAF Air Traffic Controller. He mainly did aviation subjects but was also pretty keen on wildlife and sporting subjects. I used to visit him thee or four times a year and bought a lot of his stuff. I also persuaded him to paint a very good portrait of my kids but the most spectacular picture I've got is of a Gloster Gladiator flying over the Grand Harbour at Valetta. Mind you the Victor landing and streaming and the Vulcan scramble are pretty good too. And the Shackleton off Aden plus the Lockheed Neptune on patrol. A great loss to us all.

MB

Vittorio
30th Jan 2008, 19:48
Sad news of Eric.

I was bequeathed an original by the gentleman of a Shackleton Mk 2 overflying a Leander class frigate somewhere in the North Atlantic. When I had in reframed I found an unfinished hunting scene (horses and red coats) on the back.
I spent a few hours flogging around in these "1000 rivets in loose formation" back in the late 60s. In fact, after a 12 hour sortie we landed at about midnight and I was informed my wife had been taken into hospital due to the impending arrival of our daughter. I phoned the hospital to be told she was comfortable and to get some sleep and phone back in the morning. Inevitably, I overslept, awoke at 9 am, rushed down to the call box (1969 remember) to be told my daughter had arrives at 8.30. (easiest birth I ever went through).
Enuf of this, the letter on the nose of the Shack is "D" and my research so far gives it a frame of WR 958. Would anyone out there have a different view? Just interested as to whether I spent any time in it.

VW

richexnavy
17th Sep 2009, 14:23
I found a watercolour by Eric Day in a skip at outside the Wardroom at HMS Sultan in 2001, I beleive it had been presented to the Captain of the Admiraty Interviewing Board, it is signed by SQN Ldr C.R Patterson and is of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight over the Oratory School and has a spitfire and a Lancaster flying over the school. Needless to say I reappropriated it and it lives in my attic, not really sure what to do with it as its just wasted sitting there.
Any suggestions?

vecvechookattack
17th Sep 2009, 14:33
E-Bay doesn't work on Dii during working hours. Wait until after 6pm and then it will be OK.

Wensleydale
17th Sep 2009, 14:48
I believe that BBMF are helping to raise funds for the Bomber Command Memorial (if the Cricket Commentry on 5 Live a couple of weeks ago is to be believed - even if the Lanc did distract Straus into loosing his wicket): you could always donate the picture to them for use as a raffle prize or similar. Monies raised would go to a very good cause.:ok:

W

airborne_artist
17th Sep 2009, 14:54
Rich - ring the AIB and ask if they'd like to re-consider? Sounds as though it was skipped when AIB moved?

Aynayda Pizaqvick
4th Feb 2019, 19:05
This is a while ago now, but the Herc picture mentioned earlier in the thread is back on eBay again. A bit tacky to provide a direct link, but I'm sure googling "RAF Hercules Eric Day" will probably do the trick for anyone that might be interested! Would be nice for it to go to a Herc guy out there somewhere...

NutLoose
5th Feb 2019, 11:02
More than one Herc one....

SearchERIC H DAY MILITARY ARTIST original WATERCOLOR PAINTING titled THE NETTLES c1989

Pontius Navigator
5th Feb 2019, 12:57
I despair of some sellers on eBay.

Bristol F26 very oil on bored Great picture again know nothing about

weemonkey
5th Feb 2019, 14:12
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1200/eric_h_day_military_artist_original_watercolor_painting_57_7 0bfc613ea9fbb4f7cce291f7059bc7009449889.jpg

In fact the whole watercolour would be great for the caption thread....so much going on all at once, what a talent indeed.

Always a Sapper
5th Feb 2019, 20:03
Mmm 5 mins research on flea bay leads one to question if something may or may not be quite kosher....

Key thing would be just how Eric Day signed his work off. Was the signature consistent across his works ie 'Eric Day' or 'Eric H. Day' and did he always put the year the painting was done after his signature either as two characters such as '89 or four characters such as '1989'

Auctions 302822681352 & 312452351480 are rare(?) prints that show a Vulcan over Lincoln Cathedral and have a Eric H. Day signature with a 1984 date after and just below the sig block.
Auction 302822738589 is for a print titled 'Killer Cat' and has a 'Eric Day' signature, but date after. The seller describes it as 1986.
Auction 233121602177 is for a print of a C130 supposedly in the Middle East with a 'Eric H Day' signature but unlike the Vulcan print signature there isn't a full stop after the H and before the Day. Also doesn't appear to have a date either.
Auction 233119076425 is for an original water colour, titled 'The Nettles' with a 'Eric Day' signature dated '89. also, when looking at it, while there's no question it's a reasonable painting it is somewhat lacking in sharp detail when compared to the other examples of his work being offered.
flea bay is sadly known for offerings of dubious provenance, not that I'm suggesting that these are. Just putting my thoughts out there, it's for the buyer to do the research and make their own mind up before buying. However, I will say that I have found (as a buyer) that they are very quick in refunding should the buyer have doubts and the seller is reluctant in taking it back.

And finally, yes I did miss the original painting that started this thread off. Laptop died at the wrong time otherwise I'd have been in with a max 2 seconds to go before the end and it would have gone to a SAPPER! :ok: Always snipe on ebay, tis the only way....

handleturning
5th Feb 2019, 20:05
Given that Eric charged £50 (framed), that Herc isn't cheap.

Always a Sapper
5th Feb 2019, 20:15
Aye, but then I guess the sellers are banking on the rarity and that he isn't doing any more... In which case not so bad and could if an original be considered cheap, and then there's the frame...

I note that the one we were bidding on at the beginning back in 2006 went for £123.51 so if it's the same painting the asking price hasn't gone up that much and is slightly high to other offerings by the same artist currently listed on e.bay

handleturning
5th Feb 2019, 20:36
There's a lot of Eric prints on there. Didn't realise he ran many to print. He once did a batch of 10 for me to go in CHOM, and I've got another floating around somewhere.

NutLoose
5th Feb 2019, 20:55
As he is no longer with us you may find the family or whoever now holds the rights are running prints off.

I myself own several pictures from various artists purchased off ebay, amongst them I own three Carless, and the original of a Chinook Christmas card used once by the benevolent fund. The card one was purchased from the artist and the Carless were sold by someone who didn't know who he was or what they were all for a very very good price.

so I wouldn't write evil bay off as a source of art.

handleturning
5th Feb 2019, 21:06
I wouldn't worry too much about signature and style differences where Eric is concerned. The reason he was so popular with Sqn's was that he could rattle them off at almost one a day. As mentioned, he painted 10 for me to go in CHOM, they were depictions of VC actions, I gave him the citation and told him to use his imagination. I was pleased with the end result, but there was little consistency between the paintings.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
7th Feb 2019, 09:54
You are right to be wary or eBay, but as the seller I can assure you I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. As stated earlier I picked it up for about £120 and spent at least that much again on a high quality frame, so think the starting price is fair.

I didn't commission the work, so can't provide a 100% guarantee of it's provenance but it is true to his style and his signature varied depending on what year he produced his work. I think it would also be fair to say that a gifted reproduction artist would probably turn their efforts to faking very expensive artworks rather than an Eric Day painting of a Herc!

I'm a serving Officer who despite my hopes never made it to Hercs, so just trying to rehome a nice bit of artwork, hopefully to some who spent time with the mighty Herc in the RAF!