PDA

View Full Version : shoreham flying clubs - advice wanted

oct2pus
22nd Nov 2006, 15:03
hi

just wanted some advice on the various flying clubs/schools based at shoreham (now brighton city!) airport.

i've done a trial lesson but recognise i'm not going to have the necessary funds to continue all the way to a PPL. so what i'm really after is joining a club/school for the occasional lesson but also becoming involved with the club side of things - eg, being ballast on fly-outs, perhaps cost-sharing (providing the drinks and bacon butties) with other members etc and so getting some time in the air that way.

is this remotely possible or not "the done thing"? and if it is possible to do this can any of you give advice as to the best/friendliest clubs based at shoreham?

thanks in advance for any help.

J

LysanderV8
22nd Nov 2006, 16:20
Hi Oct2pus and welcome

First of all, don't assume from the outset that you won't have the funds to go all the way. Whilst there are advantages in completing your training in a short time so that you don't have to keep going back over stuff you have already done, it can still be fine over a period of time, as and when funds are available. It took me 5 years from trial lesson to passing my skills test earlier this year. You do have to ensure you take all the written exams and do the skills test within a 2 year period however. I ended up doing the Air Law exam twice.

To answer your question, all the "clubs" at Shoreham are training organisations rather than clubs in the usual sense of the word. That probably applies at most airfields. Having said that, fly outs are organised from time to time, using the club's aircraft, with all the seats occupied either by instructors or students. These are usually over a weekend to France. Only rarely do they stay in the UK I think.

I do think that if you go in with the idea that you want to bum rides rather than undertake training and all that this entails, then you will not get very far.

I learnt at the Sussex Flying Club, the oldest established at the airport. They have Cessna 150s and PA-28s. The Cessnas are all 2 seaters of course, and I am not aware that anyone sits in the back of the Warrior on a normal lesson, although a third person is often taken on a trial lesson.

Their rates are the lowest at Shoreham I believe. I was extremely satisfied with the quality of all their staff, although I had a number of instructors over the training period. I admit to having known the CFI there for some 30 years, so my choice of club was perhaps biased.

My wife and son are both learning there at rather faster pace than I did, and they have both gone solo in the last few weeks. Although I have now qualified, I remain a member of the club (£75 per year). I used to rent one of the PA-28s and I use their facilities to check last minute weather and so on before I fly in my own a/c. I also drink their tea and coffee !

So, be optimistic that you WILL be able to complete your flying training in due course. Work on a plan to earn the funds required. I have no idea about your age or circumstances, but I guess you are a lot younger than I am, so you will hopefully have the opportunity to work to achieve your dream. Believe me, the effort in terms of money and time is well worth it. The freedom of the air cannot be beaten.

Now go and visit all the clubs at Shoreham and see who you get on with best and book another lesson soon

Keep us posted

Cheers

Lysander

Gulf Julliet Papa
24th Nov 2006, 20:37
Airbase are on par with Sussex in regards to price on training in a Cessna...although the membership is cheaper (£65). Airbase has plenty of fly outs...and encourage cost sharing quite a lot.

Have a look around all the clubs at Shoreham though as it seems you are looking for a club to be a club rather than training...so see where you feal comfy! :) Your spoilt for choice at Shoreham!