PDA

View Full Version : Would like to be a pilot one day - Information!

jonb_5
22nd Nov 2006, 09:41
Hello Everyone,

I have been looking into completing my PPL at Exeter flying club to get my foot in the door as a Pilot. I would be doing this part time and would be hoping to complete with 6-12 months, would this be possible?

After I have done this what would be the next step te start working as a pilot, would I have to do a CPL or an ATPL?

Thanks for your advice,

Jon

east_sider
22nd Nov 2006, 14:49
Try doing a search and reading some of the sticky threads first, there's loads of information to answer your question on this forum. If you want to know what a PPL involves a good start would be Lee's PPL diary, allow yourself a couple of days to get through it though!!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138022

A PPL in 6-12 months is very possible, if you have time 3-4 weeks achievable in the US, or not too much longer in the UK, weather depending.

If by get your foot in the door your long term aim is to be commercial you need to be reading the wannabes forum, start here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

good luck

Fuji Abound
22nd Nov 2006, 14:56
The timescale is more than adequate.

However you will still need to be committed.

You should expect to fly around 50 hours in total, and so with the briefings before and after, time getting to the airport and doubtless some hanging around waiting and many cancelled lessons due to poor weather the time commitment will prove significant.

In addition you have the theoretical studies to complete and the exams to pass.

The best advice is to get the exams out of the way as soon as possible and of course the medical. Shame to spend some money on the flying et al and find for some unexpected reason you cant pass the medical.

There loads on here form the budding pilot point of view and some very good accounts of pilots “blogs” as they have worked their way through a PPL so rather than duplicate to much have a good search first.

SFH
22nd Nov 2006, 20:39
Im not a pilot, in a similar position to yours, so just giving you the information I have found from other sources.

You didn't mention if you had been flying before? Take a trial lesson check its for you. Then as mentioned by fuji get that medical out of the way before you begin any serious training towards a PPL. I have also picked up that it would save money if you can have lessons quite frequently so anything being forgotten between lessons is kept to a minimum.

CPL invloves further training and exams to be passed and If you are aiming for your (f)ATPL in the future you will need to give a heck of a lot of commitment and money (40,000-80,000) when you think of all the flying costs and ground school. As said search the forums, packed full of loads of information. I've learnt alot from what I've read here.

mazzy1026
23rd Nov 2006, 07:42
Thanks east sider :ok:

One point regarding exams - you have 18 months to get the PPL from the date that you pass your first exam. This is not gospel in a sense that if you don't, you can't have the PPL but it just means that you have to retake any exams that fall outside the 18 month category. It is very easy to fall into this trap - all the cancellations and other commitments do mount up, and before you know it your snookered.

Personally, I would do a few hours training first, then look at taking your Air Law exam, which is usually a club requirement before first solo.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on...

Lee :ok: