PDA

View Full Version : Adding hours abroad - FAA PPL question

cpi2003
22nd Nov 2006, 08:59
Hey,

I am training for the FAA ppl here in Ireland. I have about 20hrs done so far and have yet to sit the theory exams. Apart from any course theory issues can I build on my flying hours over in the US when Im there on holidays? I am not looking to finish the PPL there just to add a couple of hours to my log book.

Does the instructor just sign my log book or do I need any additional paperwork off them?

I know its cheaper to do the whole lot over there but Im only interested in getting my PPL & it doesnt suit to go for 2months at a time.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Gordy
23rd Nov 2006, 06:36
Hey,

I am training for the FAA ppl here in Ireland. I have about 20hrs done so far and have yet to sit the theory exams. Apart from any course theory issues can I build on my flying hours over in the US when Im there on holidays? I am not looking to finish the PPL there just to add a couple of hours to my log book.

Does the instructor just sign my log book or do I need any additional paperwork off them?

I know its cheaper to do the whole lot over there but Im only interested in getting my PPL & it doesnt suit to go for 2months at a time.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hey back
Firstly, "theory exams", under the FAA system there is only one exam and that is a multiple choice written test.
Secondly, the answer is yes---you will fly "dual" here in the US, and the instructor will sign your logbook, other than that--no further documentation required. You do need to understand though that any "training" received in the US, falls under the jurisdiction of the TSA, and you need to abide by their rules also. Any "reputable" flight school will be able to meet these requirements.

nouseforaname
23rd Nov 2006, 07:12
people on here will also probably tell you about visa requirements. You do need a visa aparently to do flying training in the US. However, I got my FAA rotorcraft private this summer without one. Just depends were you go really. Some instructors/examiners will be up on it. Watch out, they probably won't catch you but if they do you'll be sorry.

Darren999
23rd Nov 2006, 23:42
CPI,

I would suggest that if you do go come to the US I would strongly advise you to obtain the required visa. As stated above, you could train at certain flying establishments, However, if you were ever caught, not such a good posistion to be in. It's not a huge deal to go through. You will enjoying the flying in the US the freedom is amazing. :ok:

chester2005
23rd Nov 2006, 23:56
When i enquired of the need for a Visa to do flight training in the USA i was told from the London consulate
" you only need an M1 visa if you are undertaking a formal course of study"

a "formal course of study " is defined as " a full time course of study in excess of 18 hours per week"

I believe that some ad-hoc flight training which will not lead to a licence or certificate being granted whilst in the US does NOT come into these definitions.

The TSA however does require them to be informed of any aliens undertaking flight training.

Chester

Also if you require a visa it cuts down drastically on the number of schools you can attend because not many schools (2 i believe) are SEVIS registered, a requirement to issue visas.

Gordy
24th Nov 2006, 18:12
You might want to check this out:
AOPA Explains the rules (http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/)
1. The only persons allowed to train in the United States to obtain a pilots license is a U.S. Citizen.
2. ALL NON-US Citizens must have an M-1 or J-1 Visa to conduct ANY TYPE of flight training in the U.S.
There are NO EXCEPTIONS for the general public. There are exceptions for certain persons in the US on a specific visa BUT it takes an Act of Congress (Not really but it seems this way) to get approval to flight train on any other visa but an M-1 or J-1.
UNDER NO CONDITIONS can anyone train under a Visa Waiver Program or Tourist Visa…with or without registering with the TSA. Remember, the TSA is only concerned if you have registered. ICE, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, are the ones who regulate which Visa you have to have to train with. A tourist visa is just that…for being a tourist!!

anti-talk
24th Nov 2006, 21:55
I have just PM'd you with some information that I gleaned from a recent TSA / INS meeting.
Geoff

anti-talk
24th Nov 2006, 23:13
Interperting the AOPA guidlines - it reads that you must have an appropriate visa to train, however a paragraph later it also says that the AFSP system will reject an applicant without the appropriate visa.

"Visa notice: Taking flight training without an appropriate visa could be a violation of your immigration status and could result in your arrest and removal from the United States; therefore, it is important that you have a visa that permits you to take flight training in the United States. If you do not possess the correct visa, or if you have questions pertaining to your visa status or the appropriate visas for flight training, please contact your local Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services at 800/375-5283 or www.uscis.gov or the State Department Consular Affairs Office for assistance. The AFSP will deny flight training requests from candidates who are present in the United States illegally or who do not have an appropriate visa for flight training. Fees paid for denied applications are not refundable."

I have recently seen an approval via AFSP ( AKA TSA) for an Initial Instrument Rating that was approved on a B1/B2 tourist visa - - hmmmmmm that begs the opinion that in the eyes of the AFSP an unexpired tourist visa is sufficient (not visa waiver though I guess) to commence training.

In my humble opinion and from my research it appears that there is huge confusion (possibly deliberately contrived) out there relating to this. As I understand the situation presently there are guidelines pending that will require either an M1 / J1 or a long term visitor visa such as L1,E2, H1/2/3 , etc to train in the US but as of yet this interim rule has not been fully confirmed (this was mooted back in late 2004) and until then any unexpired visa will be sufficient to gain approval for an Initial rating such as Private and Instrument. As it stands currently you do not even require a TSA (AFSP) clearance for Commercial or Add On Ratings to existing FAA licences.

chester2005
25th Nov 2006, 02:30
For what its worth, last time i was in the US i met a guy from Ireland who was doing his PPL, hour building and his CPL at a particular school.
This particular school can not issue any form of visa but no-one is trained there without TSA approval.

I was not aware of the TSA checking on your immigrant status ie.Tourist Visa , Visa Waiver etc.

I was told that the TSA, the FAA and ICE are completely separate and do not talk to each other.

Chester:ok:

anti-talk
25th Nov 2006, 02:45
Chester - you declare your visa status on your initial TSA application, if they cross check with INS - search me!

Bravo73
25th Nov 2006, 15:48
also bear in mind that there is a persistent belief in the UK that hours gained in the USA are "not worthy". plenty of people who work for UK schools think that everyone goes around in circles on brilliant sunny calm days in the USA, then ronald mcdonald comes along and gives them an FAA licence.

Er, plenty of people like YOU, maybe? :confused: :confused:

the FAA system? unfortunately, that's TOO easy. it results in any monkey getting a licence and flight instructors getting paid as little as $12 an hour