PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up a WIFI router

Future Flyer
21st Nov 2006, 16:55
For the past 2 years I have been very happy with my desktop upstairs in the house using Orange (Wanadoo) 2 meg ADSL Broadband. At the moment there is a microfilter on each of the 3 phone lines used by a phone. The filter next to my desktop also has a phone cable running to a Thompson speed touch broadband modem supplied by Wanadoo. This modem then connects to the computer via USB.

Now then, my mum has bought a wireless laptop and would like wireless internet. I have bought a Netgear super wireless ADSL modem router. Is it the case that to set up a wireless network I need to replace my old modem and have this router connected to the phone line and then have the router connected to the desktop via an Ethernet cable and then configure this to my computer and then once set up the laptop will pick up the wireless signal? Or am I able (which is what I would prefer to do) to leave my desktop as it is and just connect the router to a microfilter downstairs and then have that sending out the wireless signal to the laptop while leaving my desktop working as normal with the wired modem?

Thanks

Lost_luggage34
21st Nov 2006, 17:01
The first scenario you describe is the correct method.

Let us know if you have any problems. I have found Netgear equipment simple to set up, just ensure you use security on the wireless side.

VH-MTT
21st Nov 2006, 18:04
You can only have one adsl modem connected to a phone line at a time, what you could have bought was a wireless access point, which could be attached to your network. or you could get a wireless usb network adaptor or such and then attach it to your current pc and then you would need to share the connection through windows.

This would mean that your machine upstairs would need to be switched on for the wireless connection to work.

but the easiest way is to just connect the router/modem where your current modem is. there may be a usb connection on the router/modem too, as quite a lot of them come with these.

M.

rotorcraig
21st Nov 2006, 18:52
Is it the case that to set up a wireless network I need to replace my old modem and have this router connected to the phone line and then have the router connected to the desktop via an Ethernet cable and then configure this to my computer and then once set up the laptop will pick up the wireless signal?Yes, that's the way forward.

You should find that your Netgear router comes with a "quick setup" guide which is easy to follow ... connect the router to the phone line and to the desktop via the Ethernet cable and get that part working first.

Once you can access the internet from your desktop then go through the steps of setting up the wireless link to the laptop. Remember to encrypt the wireless link using WPA-PSK (rather than WEP which is less secure).

RC