PDA

View Full Version : Re Junk Emails

tony draper
21st Nov 2006, 08:47
Hmmm,just deleted this morning crop of junk emails unopenas per usual, don't get that many now so I just regard them as a slight irritation like flies in summer,however one was tempted to open one that had the same sender name as someone who does occasionaly emails me,it was indeed junk, harmless enough, advice one buyin shares or summat but one noticed the email address was similar but not the same as mine,so how come it ended up in my in box?
:confused:

aidanf
21st Nov 2006, 08:55
them buggers are getting more and more feckin clever. They already get around me filters, and now either the 'from' or the 'subject' will have a lot more relevance (i.e. 'subject' will often contain my name). Bloody annoying, at least 30 a day coming in ... and no obvious way to prevent it.

The most terrifying time is returning from 2 week hols to check the email :bored:

tony draper
21st Nov 2006, 23:17
Once joined a astronomy website,now the usual option if you want to optain new posts by email is to tick a box,the usual website protocol is for that particular box to be unticked,not on this website,I was getting up to 250 emails a day and my webmail thingy then only allowed yer to delete em one at a time, one could simply not keep on top of em,had a hell of a job contacting the the authorites at that website,so for about ten days one was snowed under.
:uhoh: :(

Capt Snooze
22nd Nov 2006, 01:29
Hi Tony,

Re:'but one noticed the email address was similar but not the same as mine', was that a yahoo addy?

I'm noticing the same thing lately, but only on my yahoo account.

Snooze

:*

Capt Snooze
22nd Nov 2006, 01:38
Hi again Tony,

Your post sparked a little bit of interest...................

I checked the headers on the relevant emails. It appears the the actual address that the email was sent to, (concealed in the header stuff) was correct, but the visible 'To:' address was incorrect, albeit similar.

Now why would a spammer do that?

Snooze

:confused:

modtinbasher
22nd Nov 2006, 09:51
The most terrifying time is returning from 2 week hols to check the email :bored:

When I used to be away from the office for a while, I used to keep a tape measure in my desk and actually 'measure' the list of receipts. The most I ever had was 5' 6", this was despite putting an 'away message' on my mail box. So, I devised a cunning plan! Using the 'rules' feature in Outlook Express, I created one that had words in that usually came in unwanted mail, such as 'urgently', 'heads up', 'discuss', 'ball park' 'stretched target' and so on. I even put people's names in the rule as well!

So when an email arrived, the system interrogated it for any matches, and promptly deleted it, automatically! People used to say, didn't you receive my mail/comments etc? I'd say 'let's have a look, no, sorry, what was it again? Worked every time. Just why the hell should you have to work 2 additional weeks within your first week back after leave?

Mac the Knife
22nd Nov 2006, 11:13
My ISP dumps most of the spam before I even see it and MailWasher - - catches the rest and deletes it before I've downloaded it.

If your ISP doesn't do spam filtering then perhaps you need a new one.

A separate hardware firewall and Linux (Mepis and Kubuntu) means that it's a pretty low-level irritation.