PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Cards - Compatibility?

df1
20th Nov 2006, 07:58
Hi,

Could anyone let me know an easy way of finding out if a graphics card is compatible with my system or not?

This is where I am so far:

Currently installed is a Radeon X550 256mb PCI-E. I have a couple of contenders for replacement but I just need to know whether its as simple as just making sure they offer the same interface i.e. PCI-E x16. Or, as i suspect, are there a whole host of other factors to consider?

Any advice much appreciated.

Dan

Oxeagle
20th Nov 2006, 08:08
Dan,

As far as I know any graphics card with the same interface (PCI-E x16, AGP etc) as the slot on the motherboard should work, or at least that's been the case in my experience.

Ox :)

Mac the Knife
20th Nov 2006, 09:16
As oxeagle says, but if you've got your eye on a dual-slot graphics card (and a lot of the high end ones are), make sure your mobo will support it.

spannersatcx
20th Nov 2006, 09:36
AGP can be 2 different voltages 1.5 and 3.3 (I think) and the slot can be different. Not that this is a problem in this case.

Cason
21st Nov 2006, 09:24
In your case, just make sure that the graphics card that you are eyeing is made for the PCI-E interface. As well, alot of the newer cards, atleast ones that are worth gaming with, take up alot more power than most stock cards that come with pre-built pc's. If you are planning on upgrading to a gaming card, make sure your PSU is capable of handling the load. Mind posting us a nice list of your current specs, including your PSU? That is, if you know it :) I will be glad to help you if you have any more questions.

Those of you wondering where the hell I came from, Im new here, but I have custom built about 3 gaming systems, so I can definately help with your computer problems or questions :)