PDA

View Full Version : Woman alleges she was kicked off Burlington flight for breast-feeding

PAXboy
20th Nov 2006, 00:03
Burlington Free Press (http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061114/NEWS/61114002)
Published: Tuesday, November 14, 2006
By Sky Barsch
Free Press Staff Writer
Emily Gillette said she was seated in the second-to-last row, next to the window, when she began to breast-feed her daughter. Breast-feeding helps babies with the altitude changes through takeoff and landings, Gillette said. She said she was being discreet - her husband was seated between her and the aisle - and no part of her breast was showing.

The article continues to say how the FA took exception and they were removed from the flight, prior to departure. From reading the complete article it looks as if they are going to finish up with perceptions of what happened and "You said X" and "No, I didn't".

A2QFI
20th Nov 2006, 06:39
What a load of CARP! Does this mean that we get thrown off an aircraft if the FAs don't like our haircuts, beards, large backsides or whatever we are afflicted with? Unless a passenger complained it is nothing to do FAs, in my opinion. If a passenger did complain they could be give a different seat. Another reason, to add to an already long list, of why not to go to USA! Give somebody a uniform and 2 people to shout at and they think they run the World!

Juud
20th Nov 2006, 07:31
"There's nowt as queer as folk" my MIL used to say. ;)

As a follow up to PAXboy's story. I was in LA on wednesday and the following bit of nws was running continuously on all tv channels: link (http://ap.washingtontimes.com/dynamic/stories/B/BREAST_FEEDING_PASSENGER?SITE=DCTMS&SECTION=HOME)

I guess that Delta FA wishes she'd never opened her mouth. :ooh:

A2QFI, I wish!!! :)
Had a hugely obese guy on the return flight from LA, and no he wasn't American. Tourist class seat of course, full flight and nowhere to put him other than in his own seat. Where he greatly inconvenienced the person next to him, and was an obstruction for the FAs everytime they had to squeeze by him with their trollies. He even had the gall to complain about them bumping into him. What the heck where they supposed to do? Lift the trolley over his treestump like leg? :*

flybywire
20th Nov 2006, 10:54
Wait a minute guys, we do not know what really happened.

I have absolutely no problems with mums breastfeeding during take off and landing provided they strap their babies in the way that the law and company procedures require.
If a mother refuses to comply with the safety instructions, whether she is breastfeeding or not, I treat it like I would treat any other breach of safety instructions given by the crew by any other passenger.

I am not justifying the cabin crew IF the breastfeeding was the only issue here, but after years of experience I very much doubt it.

Besides, unfortuantely americans are renown worldwide for their "you breathe I sue you" attitude....:(

FunFlyin
20th Nov 2006, 11:34
Burlington Free Press (http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061114/NEWS/61114002)

she began to breast-feed her daughter. Breast-feeding helps babies with the altitude changes through takeoff and landings,

The article continues to say how the FA took exception and they were removed from the flight, prior to departure.

How long was she planning on breast-feeding the kid for if they were still able to offload her prior to departure? :ugh:

lexxity
20th Nov 2006, 18:30
FYI - I flew with United a couple of weeks back and I asked for an extension belt for my infant. Not needed apparantely according to the FA.

SXB
20th Nov 2006, 19:34
FBW
It does seem fairly clear what happened, the spokesman from the Airline even admits that the passenger was asked to put a blanket over her breast/baby and there are a lot of common points mentioned by both spokesperson and the woman in question and there is nothing mentioned about any other improper behaviour on the part of the passenger.

Obviously a massive own goal for the airline probably committed by an over zealous FA.

PAXboy
22nd Nov 2006, 12:02
This matter has now reached the US national TV news, due to women protesting in airports and having a feed-in (my description) of visiting airports to breast feed their children.

Delta are probably issuing some 'guidance' to FAs about what is and is not acceptable!!

Middle Seat
22nd Nov 2006, 13:04
Delta's getting the slam in the media, but the FA is employed by Freedom Airlines (ooh the irony there!), which operates as a Delta Connection carrier.

The last I read is that the offended flight attendant was reprimanded, and the breast-feed in was held near Delta counters across the nation. They held signs that said things like "Best Inflight Meal" and "Got Mother's Milk?" Most people were supportive, though one group was told they were disgusting....clearly a bottle-fed baby.