PDA

View Full Version : Any useful relief for backpain?

kuobin
19th Nov 2006, 13:15
Hi gentelman,do you have problem of backpain after long duty?do you like to share your experience?thanks?:rolleyes:

picollo
22nd Nov 2006, 12:46
have you tried yoga? there are numerous benefits of practising this ancient tradition including aches and pains.

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2006, 16:13
I'm a retired pilot that knows a little about back pain.

You need to describe in detail the nature of the pain. i.e. does it extend down the leg, does it take time to build up, is there any feeling of a mechanical (bone to bone ) contact. ?

Also, age is vitally important in making any assessment.

Sitting causes the highest pressures in the disc. (I'm assuming the lower back) This may seem counter-intuitive, but pressure studies are very detailed, and you can conclude that long hours of sitting are bad. Back supports and changes of seat position may be a first step.

One thing is for sure, you need to take action of one sort or another. It's true that some of the exercises in yoga cross over with ones given by back experts, but you may as well focus on the latter.

It is vital that the supporting muscles remain strong. Flying, then long periods of resting are just what you shouldn't do.

As an aside, there is encouraging news for those with a herniated disc, in the NYT today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/22/health/22spine.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Frankly I'm surprised at some of the findings.

TheFlyingPhysio
25th Nov 2006, 17:41
Prevention is better than cure.

Loose Rivetts is right about sitting posture creating a higher disc loading than standing or lying down. Alas the days of being able to stand up and walk down the cabin are long gone.

What is the solution ?

Keeping fit and not being overweight are good starters. However, what is also important is to reverse the posture regularly. Sitting, even on the best properly adjusted flight deck seat, increases the spinal load. Furthermore, the posture tends to be flexed. Stand up and have a stretch backwards to reduce the spinal load. This could be between sectors if short haul or regularly if on long haul. Do it before any backache sets in !

A good self help guide is "Treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie. He is a Kiwi physiotherapist with a worldwide reputation for treatment of spinal problems. His book (published by Spinal Publications ISBN: 0959804927) covering self treatment as well as prevention is inexpensive, practical and to the point. Furthermore, the treatment does work. It is probably the best £10.00 ever spent and I don't get any royalties for this !

Remember Move Well to Stay Well so reverse the posture regularly.