PDA

View Full Version : Officer's Greatcoats

Melchett01
18th Nov 2006, 23:16
Anybody know where I can get my hands on one of these?

Always thought they were rather smart and fancied ever since I joined up, but got issued that awful 'flasher mac' instead.

Have tried the usual places - e-bay etc without any luck. Any suggestions?

movadinkampa747
18th Nov 2006, 23:39
Anybody know where I can get my hands on one of these?
Always thought they were rather smart and fancied ever since I joined up, but got issued that awful 'flasher mac' instead.

You could try ebay:cool:

Melchett01
18th Nov 2006, 23:55
You could try ebay

Already have, no luck apart from some motheared old Cpls coat which looked like it had been used to line a dog basket.

Pontius Navigator
19th Nov 2006, 06:56
Smart yes, but when would you wear it?

They stopped issuing them about 1974. They were fine for walking to work at Waddo but if you drive or cycle they are an encumbrance.

Never tried to wear one with a pully.

Like a No 1 they are fitted as well.

So save your money they are just too impracticable.

You could try for a British Warm in Air Force blue. They are far more practicable. Shorter length and you can remove rank tabs when travelling.

VP8
19th Nov 2006, 07:31
Or is he trying to be the next Captain Jack in Torchwood!!:E

VEEPS

Pontius Navigator
19th Nov 2006, 08:31
Or is he trying to be the next Captain Jack in Torchwood!!:E
VEEPS

Of course, I forgot you could ponce around with the thing open but the SWO would have a fit with the green trousers or growbag :D

228 OCU
19th Nov 2006, 10:12
I've still got mine and have been known to wear it at times; that was until Capt Jack showed up.
Have you tried the military surplus stores, of which there are many?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
19th Nov 2006, 12:26
Do they still have the Exchange and Mart? (that was a serious suggestion btw)

My first business as a kid was to stand outside the local Army and Navy store in Blackpool and write down all their prices, and then type them all up with at least a 25% uptick. I then put an advert in the E&M advertising army jackets and saying send 25p for a catalogue.

I got enough 25ps to cover the cost of the advert :ok: and then ... I even got an order for a jacket :ooh: :D

So off I trotted to the store and found ... they were out of stock. :ugh:

The business sort of floundered after that :(

228 OCU
19th Nov 2006, 13:12
Yes E&M is still going, but you are better off looking on-line.
Having said that, I've just spent 45mins looking for you and they seem to be as rare nowadays as a girl without a tattoo:yuk: .
Try putting your size requirements in a post; you never know, one of the jolly good chaps in this forum might have one in the loft they don't want.

cooheed
19th Nov 2006, 13:26
http://leisure.uk.freeads.net/RAF_Officer%27s_greatcoat%2C_40s_50%27s%2C_Wing-93251.htm

Time Flies
19th Nov 2006, 13:38
I have one that I would consider selling.

It is made by Crombie and tailored by R. E. City of London.

It is ranked for a Flt Lt.

I am 6' tall with 42" chest and it fits me perfectly.

Perfect condition.

Pontius Navigator
19th Nov 2006, 14:01
You say made by Crombie and tailored by City.

You may be right but I understood Crombie refered to the material.

Time Flies
19th Nov 2006, 14:05
You're absolutely correct.

I've just checked and it's the material that is Crombie.

Good spot that man! :ok:

Climebear
19th Nov 2006, 14:08
You say made by Crombie and tailored by City.
You may be right but I understood Crombie refered to the material.

Crombie (http://www.crombie.co.uk/crombie/crostart.htm) are definately tailors; I do not think that they still make military uniforms though. My Greatcoat is the same - made by R E City with cloth supplied by Crombie.

Have you tried calling the uniform procurement chaps in DLO (Defence Clothing IPT) (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/MicroSite/DLO/OurTeams/DefenceClothingIntegratedProjectTeamdcIpt.htm)or the uniform policy staff (in PTC?) they may have the contact of the company that supplies the current issue of greatcoats.

Training Risky
19th Nov 2006, 20:43
Just the ticket if you want to look like General von Paulus, goosestepping around the Russian Front circa 1942.:O

Kidderminster Kid
20th Nov 2006, 01:36
I managed to get one from stores at Cranwell last year. They had a whole host of ex-parade coats that had been made obsolete by a new model. £40 and a trip to the dry cleaners had me sorted. Worth a look to see if they have any left.

SaddamsLoveChild
20th Nov 2006, 08:49
Got mine from Cranwell and I must say that it has drawn comments from many fellow officers and even a compliment from the SWO. Very warm though but impractical on a bike. Wife also looks good in it but thats another story.............

Try Cranwell or ask your stn tailors, you will pay up to £70 - £80.

Is there a female version as I would like to get the wife her own?

toddbabe
20th Nov 2006, 09:23
If it's no longer issued then you shouldn't be wearing it!
You get issued kit to wear, wear it!

Wader2
20th Nov 2006, 09:27
Is there a female version as I would like to get the wife her own?

You need a very long, ankle length on for the memsahib, very Dr Zhigavo. No need to wear anything under it.:}

4fitter
20th Nov 2006, 09:30
Just checked mine. Coat, Great, RAF Officer, No 8. Manufactured by Sartor in 1945. Great for walking around the estate but no good in the car.

SaddamsLoveChild
20th Nov 2006, 09:32
Wader2 - Thanks, just been on the dress regs pages and found the one, she looks better in mine............ , we have our own home imposed dress regs regarding undergarments, I will let you know if they need amending.;)

Wader2
20th Nov 2006, 09:34

Toddbabe,

Wrong on two counts.

Officers do not get issues of kit except for a new item like the wooly pulley.

You are allowed to wear out old kit before replacement. It is only when a particular uniform is ordered that you need the latest kit. Why else are RAF officers noted for their sartorial variance?

There used to be a barathea cloth battle dress. The powers that be decreed the battledress to be obsolete but allowed it to be worn. The military tailors were quite happy to continue making them for a couple of years after the stop date. The alternative, at that time, was a second number 1. Mind you lots of people did have a working No 1.

Later, as an economy measure I guess, they issued a zut suit battle dress, similar to the V-force suit but possibly better quality. In this case they issued a definite stop wearing date but then issued a wooly pulley to everyone.

Now why have we had at least 3 styles of wooly pulley? Round neck, V-neck (much admired by dark blue) and back to round? Nothing to do with the fact that each style was a free-issue?

So, wear your greatcoat with pride, just don't wear it with a green grow bag on a bike.

airborne_artist
20th Nov 2006, 10:41
Now why have we had at least 3 styles of wooly pulley? Round neck, V-neck (much admired by dark blue) and back to round? Nothing to do with the fact that each style was a free-issue?

I do love the mucking-about of the Services, in order to waste/expend time and /or cash.

We used to call it "Greatcoats on, Greatcoats off" :E

The Helpful Stacker
20th Nov 2006, 10:59

Wrong!

Stable belts are not issued.

'Chip hats' are not issued.

Those natty leather flying jackets all the FJ types seem to like are not issued.

There are many items of 'optional dress' that can be worn that are not issued but as the name suggests can be worn as an option, paid for out of private funds rather than the public purse.

Although I don't have a copy of AP1358 to hand (unusual I know) I do believe that 'greatcoats' can still be worn with either No.1 or No.2 dress by officers and only with No.1 dress by OR's. I still have a greatcoat poked away somewhere, issued for a parade long since fallen out, but of course its an OR pattern one.

Pontius Navigator
20th Nov 2006, 21:16
Stable belts are not issued. .

Which for some reason does not stop them being specified in particular uniform rig - KD for instance (before every one wore DPM) or No 2A (?).

Melchett01
20th Nov 2006, 22:15
Thanks for the help guys. I should have probably realised before I hit send that this would probably open me up to a bit of p1ss taking, but what the hell, I still want one - a great coat that is!

I do realise that they are rather impractical, but I have always wanted one so figured why not. If nothing else, as has been aluded to already, I would rather like to be met on the station platform by Mrs M wearing it!:p

So to all of those quoting dress regs and telling me I can't wear old kit, thank you, advice duly noted. However ......!

Time Flies - thanks for the offer, however, I am what is colloquially known in these parts as a 'short arse' and could probably us yours as a bivvi bag!

I may well try Cranditz and see if they have any in old stock that they are looking at getting rid of.

By the way, whilst I have heard of Torchwood, who the hell is this Capt Jack character?

airborne_artist
21st Nov 2006, 06:09
Being worn at a rehearsal for Churchill's funeral:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Noelpjones1/Churchill.jpg

The Helpful Stacker
21st Nov 2006, 06:16
I didn't realise the SHQ at Halton was that old.

doubledolphins
21st Nov 2006, 09:20
Question from the Dark Blue. Our Coats do not have belts, just a back strap. ("Mine" is in the ceremonial stores at Excellent, drawn when needed.) Captain (or should that be Grp Capt) Jack's has a belt. The Chaps in the photo do not have belts. Were there two styles or is Torchwood uniform different from the RAF.

Wader2
21st Nov 2006, 09:42
I believe ORs had belts and would remove and wear white for ceremonial. Officers have the back belt as you describe. Officers also had turned back cuffs too, very smart indeed.

The Helpful Stacker
21st Nov 2006, 12:20
I believe ORs had belts and would remove and wear white for ceremonial. Officers have the back belt as you describe. Officers also had turned back cuffs too, very smart indeed.

My OR issue greatcoat is sáns belt and always has been, as far as I can tell.

buoy15
21st Nov 2006, 12:51
Melchett
Check your PM's
Regards B15

Wader2
21st Nov 2006, 13:04
My OR issue greatcoat is sáns belt and always has been, as far as I can tell.

Mmm, I wonder if WOs had a GC with belt then?

Phil_R
23rd Nov 2006, 14:56
I must admit I was pretty dismayed, when researching costume for a film production recently, to find that the greatcoat was no longer current. This is probably all down to having been brought up on world war 2 movies and gaining the unassailable impression that all military people wear big impressive coats, but also because it helps avoid the whole leather jacket/Top Gun style impression I was trying so hard not to give.

So, it's rather nice to discover that my character could probably wear a greatcoat if she could get her hands on one.

Marvellous. I'll now go back to scouring the vintage clothing stores for a WW2 era German dispatch rider's coat, which has got to be one of the all time great pieces of outerwear. Unfortunately, very few WW2 era German dispatch riders were as tall as me...

- Phil

moggiee
23rd Nov 2006, 16:31
I've got and RAF Officers greatcoat that I no longer need now that I'm a civvie- I'll check the size etc. when I get a chance. It's big-ish as I'm 6ft tall and it was designed for someone of average/larger build (42-44 chest I seem to recall).

Make me an offer.

moggiee
31st Dec 2006, 21:58
Finally retrieved it.

No sizes on it but I am six feet tall and take a 44" chest in jackets etc.

It's in good nick, has Flt Lt insignia and Queens buttons.

The coat was made by "R. E. City, of London (8 branches)" using cloth by "Crombie of Aberdeen, to Air Ministry standard".

What's it worth then chaps?

stevef
31st Dec 2006, 22:15
Those greatcoats were excellent in cold weather (but as for those 'pregnant women' airman's raincoats when I was a hairy No 2 BD-wearer...) The only bit of kit I had to hand back in again when I left except for my webbing.

buoy15
1st Jan 2007, 00:19
Melchett
Check my post 21 Nov
Regards B15

newt
1st Jan 2007, 13:40
You could try an old girlfriend of mine. She stole the one I was issued to me!!

hobie
1st Jan 2007, 15:10
here's a couple posted on ebay .....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raf-Officer-Greatcoat_W0QQitemZ220067118567QQihZ012QQcategoryZ70988QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220067118567

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-Officers-Ceremonial-Greatcoat_W0QQitemZ120069849917QQihZ002QQcategoryZ70988QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120069849917

I wonder if joan1833 is newt's old girlfriend? ..... :)

Samuel
1st Jan 2007, 17:41
Ahhhh...sweet nostalgia...the ORs Greatcoat. I wore mine once, as far as I can recall, and it was for a military funeral for a poor chap killed in a Vampire in Wales, and we, that is my flight from Wilmslow, provide the guard of honour,which was cocked-up by a Pilot Officer none of us had ever seen before when, lined up facing each other at the cemetery gate, he gave an ambiguous order which resulted in most of us turning one way or another when one way only was what was required. Subsequent instructions were issued by out beloved Sgt DI from Wilmslow. It was, a very cold day in Wolverhampton, and the greatcoats proved their worth. No belts by the way, though they might have had a semblance of a loop on the back, the purpose of which escaped me. I was once told off by a Redcap on Grantham station for having the collar up, which was what I thought the collar and associated buttons were for, but apparently not. That Redcap subsequently reported this horrendous breech of military discipline to Cottemore, but my ex-GD[P], Flt Cmdr rolled his eyes and binned it.

The only other times I can recall wearing it was when hitching up the A1 from the Ram Jam Inn [near Cottesmore], having avoided any scrutiny at the gate by taking the style near the Officers Mess and through the village churchyard out to the A1.

My RNZAF Officers greatcoat [identical to that of the RAF except for the buttons]was never worn, and I can't for the life of me recall what I did with it! I've just checked and it's not in that trunk in the garage! It would have shrunk by now I imagine!

I was amused to learn that the RNZAF contingent at the dediction of the NZ Memorial at Hyde Park on November the 11th, were issued with thermal underwear before they left NZ; no greatcoats these days.:D

newt
1st Jan 2007, 22:44
Can't recall her name Hobie but Im sure it wasnt joan. Then again she could have been born in 1833!! If it is mine then it will still have my name on the inside pocket!!

Speedpig
2nd Jan 2007, 00:02
Can't recall her name Hobie but Im sure it wasnt joan. Then again she could have been born in 1833!! If it is mine then it will still have my name on the inside pocket!!
Hmmmm.... was it Mandy? If so, she has two... mine was left behind at her house following a rushed exit when the real bf returned unexpectedly in 1981(was that you?) please can I have my original Bob Dylan albums back as well?
Luckily mine did not have my name in or I may not be here to tell this tale.

newt
2nd Jan 2007, 00:11
Speedpig

Could that have been Randy Mandy? Your right, having your name in your coat could rather give the game away!! Not sure about Bob Dylan. Would have to look in my record collection.

The girl I remember married a Gp Capt engineer so maybe he is wandering around in it now!!

Top West 50
2nd Jan 2007, 19:44
The original owner of Joan1833's coat also had an interesting career but the coat was never involved - to his knowledge!

newt
2nd Jan 2007, 21:39
What a shame!! I would have liked it back. Just to hang in the wardrobe like it did for all those years!

Mind you, it would get a bit soggy up here in Scotland! Never was much good in the rain!

Green Flash
2nd Jan 2007, 21:48
Whilst a poor freezing student I aquired a Dutch Air Force greatcoat, very similer in pattern to the RAF one, although the buttons were different (plain). It was about 84 sizes too big but was very cheap, comfortable and warm, although given to smelling like a rancid donkey when it got wet. I swear the thing was bullet proof. It certainly repulsed many a Yorkshire winter. Flogged it to a mate for beer and first go at his girlfriends sister:} Wish I'd kept it. And the coat.

NavyTorque
2nd Jan 2007, 22:46
You can get them now WWW.rac.uniforms.co.uk (http://www.rac.uniforms.co.uk)

cynicalint
2nd Jan 2007, 22:59
I still wear my father's Officers greatcoat which he bought in 1942 from Davis Bros in Cardiff. He had it two weeks before he was posted to Burma to fly Daks at Meikteila and Imphal, where it was too warm for such a coat; it spent the next 50 years in a wardrobe and is subsequently in perfect nick. It has a belt, with buckle, which tucks in through slots in the back leaving the impression of the small belt at the back. No turn ups at the cuff, just four small buttons; I had to change the rank boards to eppauletts. Changed the buttons from brass old crowns to anodised new crowns as I am too lazy to regularly polish them! The coat looks just like the ones in post No 28, Lovely and warm and very smart - and his memory lives on each time I put it on - and with pride!! It's probably the oldest greatcoat in service - unless anyone knows different!

XL319
2nd Jan 2007, 23:01
I have one if needed ...never worn and still ranked with Plt Off.

alfred_the_great
4th Jan 2007, 08:59
Sorry to be a black cat but...

My Grandfathers coat was made in 1937 (in Gib) by Gieves and Hawkes and I wore it last week in Pompey dockyard....

hobie
6th Jan 2007, 18:51
[quote=hobie;3046151]here's a couple posted on ebay .....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raf-Officer-Greatcoat_W0QQitemZ220067118567QQihZ012QQcategoryZ70988QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220067118567

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-Officers-Ceremonial-Greatcoat_W0QQitemZ120069849917QQihZ002QQcategoryZ70988QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120069849917

The second Coat finished at 67.00 pounds ......