PDA

View Full Version : Night Low Level Herc in LFA 9

Shackman
18th Nov 2006, 12:23
How nice to see/hear something different about 1900ish last night, but quite surprised to see what looked and sounded like C-130 disappearing tail on at low level. Surprised because:

a. It's a Friday night!
b. Well inside LFA 9 (just south of Ternhill).

However, have one question. Have spent some time in behind Hercs in daylight, but never seen it from the same aspect at night, so is it usual to see not just the tail light but what look like lights from each engine? On the Shack (as on other piston engines) we had the usual exhaust glow on either side of each engine, but I thought turboprops by their very nature were relatively dark.

PS WTF was it doing - or will I have to be shot if you tell me?

boyassassin
18th Nov 2006, 13:08
[QUOTE=Shackman;2973436]How nice to see/hear something different about 1900ish last night, but quite surprised to see what looked and sounded like C-130 disappearing tail on at low level. Surprised because:
a. It's a Friday night!
b. Well inside LFA 9 (just south of Ternhill).

What's surprising about a Herc at low level, nothing, it's quite normal. Friday night because they can get the choice of the night low flying system as it has not been booked by the really important FJ 'mates' who only work monday to friday (1700 So they can get to happy hour).;)

PS It was a super secret mission obviously!

Tourist
18th Nov 2006, 13:16
airborne at 1700 on a friday.
How very like the RAF to be so uncouth.:rolleyes:

airborne_artist
18th Nov 2006, 16:00
ISTR plenty of Friday night trips in Albert, with a rip-stop nylon solo landing to finish. Salisbury Plain, Sennybridge, Thetford, Holland, Germany, amongst others. I loved standing in the door with 100lbs of kit strapped on waiting for the old red on, green on :}

movadinkampa747
18th Nov 2006, 16:33
ISTR plenty of Friday night trips in Albert, with a rip-stop nylon solo landing to finish. Salisbury Plain, Sennybridge, Thetford, Holland, Germany, amongst others. I loved standing in the door with 100lbs of kit strapped on waiting for the old red on, green on :}

OMG Get me a bucket I think I am going to be sick.:ooh:

airborne_artist
18th Nov 2006, 18:11
OMG Get me a bucket I think I am going to be sick.:ooh:

You must be a big girl's blouse then :E Real men jump in :ok:

Tombstone
18th Nov 2006, 19:12
You must be a big girl's blouse then :E Real men jump in :ok:

No mate, real men book in! :ok: