PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player vs Real Player

allan907
18th Nov 2006, 05:13
With the burgeoning use of broadband I find I am getting a lot of .wmv files sent to me. Unfortunately every time I open them up it opens up RealPlayer which then searches for updates and tells me that there are none to support that file.

I'm sure that the file would open with WMP (it is installed on my system) but how the hell do I change from one to the other as a preference? And can I switch and change at will?

spannersatcx
18th Nov 2006, 05:49
Assuming it's Win XP (others are the same I think) go to help, type in "file association" and the answer is there.

Or Right-click the file you want to open in a different program, and then click Properties.
On the General tab, click Change.
Click the name of the program in which you want the file to open.

FormerFlake
18th Nov 2006, 05:57
I have Media Player Classic as a back up as it will play anything. It is a free download so do a google.

Tarq57
18th Nov 2006, 08:09
Heres a link to Media Player Classic. Down the page a bit, left side, under tools. http://www.free-codecs.com/Software/Media_Players.htm
With installation you can add codecs for "real" and "quicktime alternative", and get rid of those nasty buggy resource hogs that keep phoning home.

vapilot2004
18th Nov 2006, 09:25
With the burgeoning use of broadband I find I am getting a lot of .wmv files sent to me. Unfortunately every time I open them up it opens up RealPlayer which then searches for updates and tells me that there are none to support that file.
I'm sure that the file would open with WMP (it is installed on my system) but how the hell do I change from one to the other as a preference? And can I switch and change at will?

Real Player installs itself in a way almost bordering on Spyware in the older versions - they gave one no options to change the Real Networks changing many media file associations on your computer to the Real Player. The newer install of RealP can, if you are brave and do the Advanced Install and watch for it, allow one to keep the original file associations intact.

The suggestions Spanners gave will work in Explorer for that extension and is probably the best solution if that is the only issue.

Another way would be to un-install Real Player, re-install Windows Media Player from MS at www.microsoft.com/mediaplayer - you will be redirected and are given choices of MP 11, 10 and older versions here then get the latest Real Player and install using advanced options.

My suggestion above is not without risk, but should return your computer to normal XP file associations, where media player opens AVIs, MPEGs, WMVs, WMAs, WAVs and more.

Good Luck!

Farmer 1
18th Nov 2006, 10:54
I tried a different version of Vapilot2004's suggestion:

Uninstall Realplayer, then reinstall it. I was given a long list of files which Realplayer thought it should control. I unticked every box in sight, and everything ran the way I wanted, including Realplayer. This was a version or two ago, so the system might have changed now, but it was quick, simple and effective.

Saab Dastard
18th Nov 2006, 11:18
/Personal opinion:

Real player is a heap of sh1t!! :yuk:

I refuse to let it anywhere near any of my PCs.

/End of personal opinion!

SD

frostbite
18th Nov 2006, 11:49
Can but agree with SD.

I look after some PCs for non-tech people and have always removed Real Player if their PC comes with it installed.

WMP is almost unique in being a M$ 'approved' product here!

Farmer 1
18th Nov 2006, 13:24
It's not my favourite, either, but if you want to watch or listen to BBC clips, is there an alternative? (Serious question.)

Saab Dastard
18th Nov 2006, 15:01
Agree that there are still some BBC clips that are only Real, but more and more they are shifting to wmv (I think). I spoke to a friend who works in the Beeb, and he did tell me that the intention was to move towards a choice of formats.

I hate Real so much that I live without the clips!

Amazon.co.uk only has track samples in Real, BUT if you go to the .com site you get a choice of 2 other formats.

SD

sky9
18th Nov 2006, 16:24
I have been attempting to install WMP11. For some reason it fails to install and I get an error message.
Anyone else have the same problem?

Felix Saddler
18th Nov 2006, 16:57
I hate real player! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

BOAC
18th Nov 2006, 17:03
It appears that the BBC Radio site is offering WMP as an option.

Sky - it installed ok with me.

vapilot2004
18th Nov 2006, 17:59
I have been attempting to install WMP11. For some reason it fails to install and I get an error message.
Anyone else have the same problem?

Can you pass along any details on that message?

Farmer 1, that is good to know - RP can fix it's own damage.:ok:

Tarq57
18th Nov 2006, 21:59
At the risk of sounding repetetive, google for "real alternative" or use the link I posted above. Plays real files, on MPC.

sky9
19th Nov 2006, 13:26
vapilot2004
I'm getting code 80070005 at the end of the installation. The webhelp really doesn't give any help at all. I have tried downloading the file then installing and also directly installing through a temp file. The same code comes up.
I am reluctant to uninstall and try a clean install again as I get warnings about what might not then work in Windows if I do. I suspect that this might be a Microsoft catchall but don't want to risk it.

Any help appreciated.

cymruflier
19th Nov 2006, 13:38
I listen to BBC radio4 many hours a day and am given the option on the play live screen WMP or RP - the former seems to be the best. Not sure about listen again though.

BOAC
19th Nov 2006, 13:54
Yes - all over the site as far as I can see.