PDA

View Full Version : Best way to host large amount of text/forum

mazzy1026
17th Nov 2006, 12:20
Hi Guys

A while back, I finished making my PPL diary here on Prune. I have this saved as a Word doc (one having all posts, and one having just my own).

What I would like to do is build a website to hold all my diary posts. Now the thing is - I am wondering what the best way to do this is?

A static website or a database driven one? How are the posts here on Prune stored?

I am competent with SQL Server etc....

Thanks for any advice,

Maz :ok:

PS - I have considered a free Blog site, but would ideally like to have my own.

Saab Dastard
17th Nov 2006, 17:43
VBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/) is the Forum software. It has a MySQL database.

VB is not expensive - but I'm sure that there are other Opensource offerings that don't cost anything.

SD

planecrazy.eu
17th Nov 2006, 21:12
Hey, a free offering of VB Forum is PHPBB, more or less the same, think you can get plugins to make it identical, just its php and not asp...

I think a blog may be a good idea, you can add the articles by date, etc...

Wordpress is my choice of blog...

I think a blog would be the way...

I have sent you a PM too...

mazzy1026
18th Nov 2006, 16:16
Thanks chaps - I am getting there now with phpBB - just upgraded my hosting to support SQL and it only cost me £14 extra (thanks for the offers).

Cheers
Maz ;)

mazzy1026
20th Nov 2006, 12:24
Here's a little thought:

I'm not sure exactly how pprune is stored on the server (SQL database?) but would it be possible (mods?) for someone to download a thread directly from the back-end database I.E. (Ignore the [] they are for ease of reading)

SELECT [Date], [UserName], [PostText] FROM [Thread]
WHERE [Thread] = "Thread Name" AND [UserName] = "mazzy1026"

Or thereabouts ;)

Other than that I have tried every possible way under the sun to save my thread as a readable file (csv, excel, SQL database - even Access) other than go through them all manually and save them to a table individually :ouch: