PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly in Manchester UK

paul01942
17th Nov 2006, 10:44
Can anyone tell me what my options are on learning to fly? i would like to try and obtain my private pilots license but have a very limited budget, can anyone direct me to what might be a more cash sensitive company or training school i might be able to get some information? i've been in aviation for 11 years and would desperatly like to learn to fly!
I have'nt flown a real A/C have had a go in a simulator and i regularly try flying scenario's on microsofts current flight sim program, i know its not the same as real flying, but have learned alot about flightdecks proceadures etc !www.can anyone help me?:ugh:

Frogga
17th Nov 2006, 10:55
Hi there,

I suggest you visit Manchester Barton Aerodrome. There are a number of flying clubs on site, the airfield is very friendly. They would be more than happy to have a chat with you and discuss your options.

Regards

Andrew

JUST-local
18th Nov 2006, 23:12
Don't limit your choice to one airfield! Take a look at all the airports you could/would commute for a lesson.

I know from personal experience that Barton can be unfit to fly from after a rainy spell and know a couple of people who had to finish off elsewhere as they where getting very frustraighted with it...
That said I also know more who have completed the PPL at Barton with no problems...

I personally prefer a nice long stretch of concrete with no power lines anywhere near the place, full ATC with radar, night lights etc.....

Blackpool and Liverpool are easy to get to and have several good flying schools at each, both are coastal airfields as most people are aware of so generally (IMHO) get better weather than those inland. Price wise a quick look at a few flying school web sites says they are all in the same ball park!

Take a look and get a feel for a few places....:ok:

Rod1
19th Nov 2006, 08:07
If your budget is limited and given your location I would look at doing a three axis microlight NPPL. The cost of the licence and the cost of flying after will be much less than the traditional route; the training aircraft are more modern and have similar performance. Get on the BMAA website and find out what options are available within travelling distance of you.

You can upgrade your NPPL at a later date when funds are less tight.

If you decide on Barton make sure you have looked at the recent forum chat so you know what you are getting into.

Rod1