PDA

View Full Version : Practice interception?

Saintsman
17th Nov 2006, 07:11
I was flying from Paris to Madrid this week and I happened to look out of the window to see a small military aircraft (Alphajet? and coloured red / orange - we were flying over France at the time) fly across the aircraft about 50 metres above and just behind. I spoke to the captain about this and he wasn't aware of the aircraft and he checked with ATC who also saw nothing.

So, was the pilot practicing interceptions and if so what is the usual procedure for this. Do military pilots have free reign to practice this sort of thing or is it a little bit more regulated.

Or did we just have a near miss?

Widger
17th Nov 2006, 07:50
I think you need to direct your question to the French Civil ATC fraternity. I know the answer but I am not sure if this is the place to air it! And before the facists start...it has nothing to do with National Security.

Flarkey
17th Nov 2006, 07:53
I took this pic in 1992 of an F-15 intercepting an B737 from Germany to Stansted. It was a military charter flight from Wildenrath on the way back from an ATC camp. The pilot was expecting the f15 and even said over the tannoy that it was a practice interception.

http://uk.geocities.com/flarkeyuk/f15.JPG

helicopter-redeye
17th Nov 2006, 07:53
An interception would involve crossing the line of flight to initiate (usually Right to Left to take up station).

Here is the summary http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_GAD_WEBSSL11.PDF

Pilots of Royal Air Force aircraft carrying out practice interceptions of smaller helicopters in the UK may care to note that the 'Helicopter will Rock' when the intercepting aircraft crosses the path of the interception small helicopter, thus giving the understood and will comply response automatically. :hmm:

johnfairr
17th Nov 2006, 09:05
On the F4 OCU, 1974, doing one of my first PIs in the Convex phase of Air Defence, I managed to lock up a 747 on a 180 intercept, in airways. Staff pilot let me give a few steers before he, correctly, told me go back into scan mode and find the "real" target!! :uhoh: :uhoh:

jf

Gainesy
17th Nov 2006, 10:14
at FL470, M0.84,

Mike, not so much an offer, more of a taunt?:)

wrecker
17th Nov 2006, 16:03
That will teach you to put "Embelish" in the remarks section of the flight plan!

Tiger_mate
17th Nov 2006, 16:14
Three decades ago when I was a Flt Planning Clk at an RAFG stn, virtually every flt pln sent was embelished. Later on when based at the same stn as aircrew, it was a disappointment if the opportunity was not taken up by somebody when travelling international.

However in those days when you went flying, you saw jets: Lots of them; and nowadays you rarely see any. We could avoid one jet quite easily, two was more interesting, and when they set you up for the third, you were dead meat.

If such fun still existed, I would probably still enjoy the air force.

Pontius Navigator
17th Nov 2006, 16:30
In days of old when the only RAF 4-jets were Comets or V-bombers we never declared aircraft type except RAF 4-Jet.

One day, over France, 14 Aug 1964, we were asked by the French ATC for our airframe number. "We are a 4 jet we replied".. What sort of 4 jet? "A 4-jet 4-jet" was the quick reply.

Are you a Vulcan? Are you Vulcan Xray Mike 647?

Now that was a tough call. Yes would blow security and No would be a lie.

Just then the co called and reported 2 Mirage on our starboard side. That's nothing said the wg cdr. We have 2 F104 on the other.

Basically we were boxed by the RCAF on one side and the FAF on the other.

Fair cop.

Widger
18th Nov 2006, 17:34
As I mentioned in my post above it has nothing to do with national security...an Alpha Jet on Air Defence???????? Before the scopies get too excited, the answer is much more simple. As I said, the question needs to be directed towards the French Civil ATC fraternity. Why did they not see the military aircraft?

Very easy answer really....:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

London Mil
18th Nov 2006, 17:44
Moi?? :E

I'll ask our Gulfstream G550 guys to play - FL510, MMO = M0.885!!!

Is that the best you can do? Mr Typhoon will have you for breakfast. Before you have a chance to say "ooh golly gosh" it will be raining Eurofighter.:p

Lon More
18th Nov 2006, 17:48
Flarkey, both flights probably working Dutch Mil prior QSY to Amsterdam/Maastricht so no problem.

Colonal Mustard
18th Nov 2006, 18:02
An interception would involve crossing the line of flight to initiate (usually Right to Left to take up station).
Here is the summary http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_GAD_WEBSSL11.PDF
Pilots of Royal Air Force aircraft carrying out practice interceptions of smaller helicopters in the UK may care to note that the 'Helicopter will Rock' when the intercepting aircraft crosses the path of the interception small helicopter, thus giving the understood and will comply response automatically. :hmm:

Happened to me a number of times, trouble is that at 300` the bloody RAF think your military and play cat and mouse..........best one i ever had was a Tornado out of marham over the marham stub, all i saw was a white glove from the backseater in a two fingered salute... my pilot and i looked at each other as he said "FFF***K ME"... Not in a sexual term i hastened to add:}.before we both began hysterically laughing at how loud and close the jet got

Training Risky
18th Nov 2006, 19:22
Is that the best you can do? Mr Typhoon will have you for breakfast. Before you have a chance to say "ooh golly gosh" it will be raining Eurofighter.

Really?! Is that if we all happen to be at an airshow/PR stunt this side of 2010?:O :E

garp
26th Nov 2006, 15:28
As I mentioned in my post above it has nothing to do with national security...an Alpha Jet on Air Defence???????? Before the scopies get too excited, the answer is much more simple. As I said, the question needs to be directed towards the French Civil ATC fraternity. Why did they not see the military aircraft?

Very easy answer really....:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

French Civil ATC screens filter out air defense squawks. Pretty weird but true, they have to make a specific input into their system to view the codes. Basically their philosophy is that whatever they don't see is not happening.