PDA

View Full Version : Work history...does it help??

Londonboy29
16th Nov 2006, 14:53
Dear All,

I am about to begin down the modular route, but am am a 'mature' wannabe, and if all goes well plan to have a type rating by the time I'm 35.

My questions is if my education/work history will help at all in getting a job (for example I've heard that some airlines would view individuals with management history favouroubly as they see them as potential managers after their flying is over)??

My profile is that I have a Masters degree from a top global university, and have also almost 8 years of work experience with 2 of the top 4 global accountacy firms.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards.

LB

MIKECR
16th Nov 2006, 17:06
LB

Im sure it will look good on your CV but at the end of the day your either going to need flying experience, ie hours in your logbook or someone on the inside to pull a string for you to get that 1st job. There's hundred's of low hours guys and gals out there, all with different backgrounds, all looking for that 1st break. Also, without sparking the usual debate, think very carefuly about buying yourself a type ratng, it may not be as helpful as you might think. You might want to hold onto your hard hat if you start mentioning buying TR's in these forums!! Best of luck though with whatever you do.

Zest
16th Nov 2006, 18:34
LB,

I was in the same situation : I use to be an engineer, and quit my job to do my CPL flight training, thinking my previous epxerience would help.
I am currently looking for that first job, as many of us. I am not sure, but so far I would say it does not help me to get a job. Most applications are online, and ask only for your logbook, your flying hours, your type rating(s), and your age... they do not ask about your maturity and previous experience.
I hope I am wrong...
Good luck anyway.

Pilot Pete
16th Nov 2006, 22:50
I would suggest it has minimal effect at application stage, but will come into it's own at interview. This is where you can explain your previous experience and draw the parallels with the job you are applying for.

PP

AcroChik
17th Nov 2006, 01:14
Getting started in an aviation career is very different in the States when contrasted to the UK and continental Europe. It's possible some of my thoughts aren't directly applicable.

Though our ages and histories are different, like yourself I have a relatively strong academic background from a top school (you've heard of it). My BS is in math and physics, subjects that make people imagine I'm bright but which have no real traction when it comes to actual stick and rudder work. I also had a relatively strong log book for someone my age, and got an overnight freightdogging job in PA-31s shortly after graduation.

When I had enough hours, I applied to regionals, and got interviews. Initial contact with human resource people, who are trying to fit various size objects (people) into uniformly round holes (positions), all flagged the least important aspect of my application as important, my academic background, simply because it singled me out from other applicants.

When I got to actual interview boards, there was very little interest in this at all. I had been counseled by a wise old aviator not to mention it unless they did first. One interviewer did point out that having taken on the challenge and seen it through bode well for the rigors of flying the line. It met with outright hostility on the part of one interviewer. I found myself explaining to the gentleman that once they'd invested in my type rating, I wasn't going to immediately skip town for grad school.

What did they care about most? Log book, log book, log book, showing accurate actual IFR/IMC times. PIC time. No pencil-whipping. Piloting ability. And all the while they were calculating if I'd make a decent junior FO. "Can she develop good CRM skills?" You, with your background in management, will have an easier time than some newly minted uni graduate still wet behind the ears... meaning me :p

Zest
17th Nov 2006, 12:29
I agree with you Pilot Pete, the more difficult being to get that job interview...

smith
1st Dec 2006, 10:09
As Scroggs once posted, turn the question around, would being a pilot make you more suitable for an accountancy career?

sagaris
1st Dec 2006, 12:50
I believe it can only look good, ie. it can't harm your application having a good previous profession on your CV, assuming you have made the most of it, and can ably demonstrate parallels between that and aviation, which invariably, if it was a reasonable job, you can explain your experience of management/leadership etc. As has been mentioned already though, its what you make of it in the interview that counts. It could maybe hinder you should you have come from a highly regarded profession, and yet be inept at explaining what you have gained from previous experiences, as the inerviewers are bound to think that you haven't made the effort to get the most out of your previous post.

As for the airlines wanting to go for the candidate with the smallest CV so that they have less people to call for a reference - complete rubbish. Experiences develop a person, and its a good indication of how rounded a person is (given they've nothing else to go on), and its up to them who they call, if you havent been asked to provide a couple of referees.

It certainly helped me, and some might say, ate up valuable time in the interview pleasantly discussing a topic I knew well - rather than being quizzed on the ins and outs of *list one of the fourteen ATPL subjects here*!

Hope this helps.