PDA

View Full Version : Proud but scared !!

LOOPYGIRL
16th Nov 2006, 11:52
Hi could any of you guys and girls give me any idea how to deal with my boy joining the army ?
My son is 21/22 in jan always thought what a tall strapping lad he is,
Then he told me yesterday he has applied to join the army , he is just waiting for a date. Suddenley this big lad was my little boy again.
I am very proud of him , but i feel sick inside .
When he talks about it i just wellup and the tears just roll.
i try not to show it but he gives me a hug and thats it, im finished.

R 21
16th Nov 2006, 11:55
Loopy

its difficult, Mrs R 21 is in bits every time I go away but you have to cope for his sake and yours. Tell him to keep his head down.

PompeySailor
16th Nov 2006, 13:05
Have a look over on www.arrse.co.uk (but don't look at the nasty bits!). They are quite welcoming and have some good links for the Rear Party/Families out there.

cymruflier
19th Nov 2006, 17:59
Be a proud mum. I'm proud all our servicemen and the job they do for us - not to mention their role ss ambassadors.

LOOPYGIRL
19th Nov 2006, 18:49
Be a proud mum. I'm proud all our servicemen and the job they do for us - not to mention their role ss ambassadors.
Thank you, i am very proud.

Colonal Mustard
19th Nov 2006, 19:36
what trade is he intending to join?, Cook medic, signaller, infantry?

Two's in
19th Nov 2006, 21:55
Make sure you get an address off him at every stage of his training and write to him every few days. Regardless of the content, there's nothing more uplifting than getting mail when you are in a strange place learning new stuff. (But don't write fluffy stuff on the envelope or he'll be ridiculed - not that he won't anyway in basic training, it's part of building them up!).

Send him the odd red cross parcel from time to time - CD's, chocolate, whatever he likes, again, always good for morale. Remember that he'll be putting in some busy little bear hours at first, so don't expect him to write or call as often as you would like, just be there when he needs you to be. It can seem lonely at first, but he will soon make new friends, and his age and maturity is on his side. It's going to be a big lifestyle change so be prepared for him to change - after his basic training he will be a a different person, but in a good way, more mature, confident and focussed.

What's he going to do? - it does make a difference to the training he will receive.

Brian Dixon
19th Nov 2006, 22:10
Hi Loopygirl.

Two points, if I may.

1. Congratulations to you for raising a fine young man.

2. Please pass this message to your son - Thank you. :D

I wish him well in his training and hope that he enjoys himself as much as I did when I was in.

With much respect.
Brian

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
19th Nov 2006, 22:34
From what little I know of the American military, parcels received get shared, so put some extra stuff in for his mates :ok:

The Rocket
19th Nov 2006, 23:46
Two's in is absolutely right Loopy Girl.

From my own memories, mail was power as a young apprentice. There was absolutely nothing better in the entire world, than being handed an envelope (or two) at mail time. Even though in these days, it will probably be far easier to ring him, believe me, he will appreciate a letter far more than a phonecall.

Also, try to encourage members of the family to write also. Personally speaking, I remember that during a particularly difficult time at Halton, I recieved a letter from one of my uncles who although very close to me, was not one for sharing his feelings. The letter he wrote me, explaining how proud he was of me, really did spur me on to greater things. Far greater than any phonecall would have done. The fact that I still own and read that letter to this day, is testament to the might of the pen!! :p

In all seriousness though, you should be very proud indeed, and proud for raising such a fine young chap. May I wish him happy times indeed during his basic!!!

breakscrew
20th Nov 2006, 07:41
Loopygirl,
You may get a better response by posting on http://www.rearparty.co.uk
Rear party is the website of family and friends of soldiers, and most sympathetic to your concerns and anxieties.
Good luck to you and your lad.
BS

LOOPYGIRL
20th Nov 2006, 08:17
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to me, my boy will be joining the infantry .

At first i was a little upset that he had decided to do this and didnt tell anybody untill the deed was done, he hasnt lived at home since he was 19 so my boy is a young man and i know i must let go.

He is my 3rd child out if 4 ( 2 girls 2 boys ) he is my eldest son .

I will write to him send him prezzies for him and his new pals , and i will be there for him backing him all the way.
Im cabin crew so i will be sending many duty free's

The tears still roll !!! :\

mutleyfour
20th Nov 2006, 08:37
He's a lucky chap Loopygirl to have you support him. Both of my parents are/were pacifist and havent had any real interest in what I did or do.

Let him walk tall and keep him intouch with reality as recommended above, be proud and above all smile, don't cry!

airborne_artist
20th Nov 2006, 09:51
Sounds like a good age to join - old enough to be that much more confident than some of the youngsters.

If he works hard, gets on courses etc. he'll be a really useful guy with a great career in front of him. A lad I knew joined the Guards, completed his engagement, and is now an armed response officer with Thames Valley Police, nice house, and a lovely wife :ok:

deltahotel
20th Nov 2006, 10:39
Agree with all the above - esp the mail thing. Good luck to him and to you. Make sure you come back and tell us how you felt at his passing out parade!

GPMG
20th Nov 2006, 13:15
Tell him to join the Royal Marines, then you'll both understand what real pride is. Why have a tatty black beret or half a bear on your head when you can earn the coveted Green Beret and Commando flash's.

If your going to do something at least give it 100%. If he doesn't fancy the hard effort then he can always try the Para's. :) .

Seriously though tell him to join the Royal Marines or the Para's. Or if he want's to learn a trade that will see him good in civvy life to join the RAF or Navy as a tech.

LOOPYGIRL
20th Nov 2006, 15:58
He's a lucky chap Loopygirl to have you support him. Both of my parents are/were pacifist and havent had any real interest in what I did or do.

Let him walk tall and keep him intouch with reality as recommended above, be proud and above all smile, don't cry!

mutleyfour im sure your parent are very proud of you ,
giving our support as a parent is so hard . If we could wrap you up in cotton wool and keep you safe we would.

Thank you for your kind words be safe .x

Cason
21st Nov 2006, 06:52
I wish your son all the luck in the world. Its great to know that yet another dedicated individual is fighting for a just cause, our freedom.

angels
21st Nov 2006, 09:11
My brother-in-law did quite a time in the army and was a hard man. He got invalided out (duff knees, not enemy action) and still misses the life and the comradeship that the army offers.

I realise you're going to miss your son and worry about him. Most mums would. Just accept that he's doing what he wants to do and be proud you seem to have raised a fine young man.

As others more knowledgable than me have said, send those letters and send those prezzies!

The best of luck to you and your family.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
2nd Dec 2006, 01:03
Loopygirl,

Just to add my congratulations/thanks for bringing up someone with the qualities that we strive for - I'm certain that your son will (continue to) do you proud.

Regardless of where he finds himself (you haven't said what he is going to do yet) he won't forget his Mum. I doubt you will let him!

:D

Duncs