PDA

View Full Version : Does Mogas have a furure in aviation?

A_Pommie
16th Nov 2006, 08:09
Having looked at the RV9 thread it got me wondering.
After 2010 the government state that all petrol must have at least 5% bioethanol content to save the planet. If this happens then Mogas will no longer be suitable for use in aircraft as alcohol in avfuel is not allowed.
Ths will surely hit microlight schools and other farm strip users who up to now could fill up on the way to the field now. Will every body now need a 100LL tanker on site?

Rod1
16th Nov 2006, 10:20
I pointed this one out to the PFA some time ago. Most Rotax engines will work with 5% alcohol but it is not recommended. All the internals etc are ok but there is endless debate on water problems etc. The PFA are expecting to get approval to use Mogas with 5% alcohol, but we will have to see. Remember Avgas is being phased out and the only other fuel which will work in most GA engines is Mogas. Add to this that over 100,000 Rotax 912’s are now flying all of which were designed for Mogas and will only use avgas on sufferance and it could be a big problem.

Rod1

MikeSamuel
16th Nov 2006, 10:42
What are the alternatives to 100LL and Mogas - is vegetable oil a long term possibility? Jet A1 is probably the most likely I guess...is anyone developing a sub 100hp diesel?

A_Pommie
16th Nov 2006, 11:55
Rod thanks for the info. Is not most mogas on mainland europe already blended with bioethanol? If so do European microlights keep falling out of the sky due water in the fuel?
Mike I think biodiesel/veggie oil also suffers from water absorbtion problems.
Not sure about sub 100hp diesels but I think weight may be a big issue for microlights.

Rod1
16th Nov 2006, 14:31
Is not most mogas on mainland europe already blended with bioethanol? If so do European microlights keep falling out of the sky due water in the fuel?

I am not a technical expert on this but according to my research the standard Rotax 912 installation should be ok on the new fuel. The only issue may be the airframe fuel system which may contain bits which will fail if the fuel contains Alcohol. My research into the MCR is that it is all ok, but of course I have not tested it…..

Rod1

Mariner9
19th Nov 2006, 18:54
The drive towards biofuels is ostensibly towards saving the planet, and it would be ironic if the mandated biogasoline forced Unleaded Mogas burning aircraft onto 100LL :ugh:

Incidentally, it is a little publicised fact that the combustion of biogasoline actually produces more CO2 (~1%) than unleaded gasoline :hmm: (although the net carbon "footprint" is reduced)

Deaf
19th Nov 2006, 22:50
although the net carbon "footprint" is reduced)

Does this include the coal in making the fertilizer and distilling along with the diesel in planting, harvesting and transporting the whatever used to make the ethanol.

ChrisVJ
20th Nov 2006, 00:14
According to one of the 'Anti alcohol in gas' sites I was reading recently a recent study of the full cost of alcohol that is added to US gas reckoned that it took te equivalent of two gallons of gas energy to produce onegallon of additive.

Maybe true, or maybe just another shell in the war.

terryJones
20th Nov 2006, 11:24
Link here to a SAIB related to this question:-

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/alerts/saib/media/CE-07-06.pdf

Interesting test YOU can do on your own fuel to see what is in it alcohol wise.