PDA

View Full Version : FAA Flight Instructor study notes

jab
15th Nov 2006, 16:47
Hi all
I am looking for material to study for the FAA CFI(H) examinations and there are a lot of products available out there. If anyone has recently done the CFI examinations, please let me know which is/are the most practical and informative based on your experience. To avoid advertising, please PM me with titles.
Is it really necessary to get the "Practical Test Oral Study Guide" or can I get most of that info from the school?
Thanks

IntheTin
15th Nov 2006, 17:44
Jab.

Are you talking about the written exams or the check ride exam?

jab
15th Nov 2006, 17:57
Sorry, should have been clearer. I intend studying, doing the examination and then immediately afterwards doing the flying and flight test. I already have an ICAO Instructors rating so hopefully dont need to do too much flying.
To answer your question, I need books for the written examination and the check ride.

IntheTin
15th Nov 2006, 18:13
Anything previously studied whilst doing your other certificates.
The oral guide is good but the written test, prepware, is great for studying.

ITT :ok:

Gray 14
16th Nov 2006, 21:16
There are two written test you have to take. One is derived from the FAA "Basic Helicopter Handbook" (I think that is the correct title) and the other is " Fundamentals of Instruction".

The first sort of speaks for itself and the second covers building blocks of learning, Learning curves and so on. Gets into the shrink side of teaching people. Boring, but worthwhile reading.

Otherwise, "memorizing" the answers from a study guide may be your best bet as you already have instructing experience.

You will be surprised to see that the Feds still teach running take offs, and approaches to the ground for operating in conditions where the reserve power is not enough to hover!!??

Have fun.

jab
17th Nov 2006, 07:26
Thanks for the answers so far, all help is appreciated. As requested by PA42, I will post a report on the differences in emphasis between ICAO and FAA flight instructor examinations once I have finished. Don't hold your breath.

Gray 14 - Personal opinion, I believe in teaching running take-offs and landings as it teaches co-ordination and can be of practical use. I have used the technique many times for dust landings, best with wheels of course. Approach technique can also be used when doing single engine training on multi-engine machines. Best of all, I just like doing them. I get a better feeling of accomplishment rolling on softly than doing a good hover landing. That's just me. From previous threads, rolling T/O and landings seem to be a controversial subject and I don't know why. It is just another tool in a pilot's inventory and I like knowing how to do them.:E

IntheTin
17th Nov 2006, 11:34
The running take off isn't part of the CFI practical test. I think it was called the rolling take off and you are only tested on it if you have wheels. :ok:

Gray 14
17th Nov 2006, 18:39
Guess it depends on the examiner. I did "running" takeoffs in the S-300. The nearest wheel was in the parking lot on the other side of the runway!

Later,