PDA

View Full Version : Which format, WAV or...

Hew Jaz
15th Nov 2006, 10:34
Perhaps obvious to some, but ....

I have some internet streaming audio saved on my pc in the .wav format.

Although I can save files as different formats, I understood WAV was the one to use if I wish to save the audio to a standard cd which can then be played on a standard cd player.

Having tried that, one player refused to do anything; whilst the second one did at least make an effort. The quality was terrible however, and then it skipped a bit before finally giving up. (I used Nero Smart to create an audio cd).

The cd plays fine on the pc though (using Windoze player)

Is there a better / preferred format?

Thanks in advance as usual.

Cheers

HJ

spannersatcx
15th Nov 2006, 11:22
When you create an audio cd for playing on a hi-fi or in a car the file is actually a .cda (cd audio) it doesn't really matter what format the original file was in as the software (in this case nero) will convert it to the correct format. Although the better quality file will produce a better quality recording.

Does your cd player actually accept cdr's for playing, not all do?

What disks are you using? cheap crappy ones may not work that well. Try a decent brand of disk.

Is your writer clean?

What speed did you record at? anything more than 8x is not recommended.

Hew Jaz
15th Nov 2006, 14:16
Ok, I didn't realise the software would convert it to .cda - but now you've raised another question for me - what happens if I want to write MP3's to a cd?

I don't know if the cd player will accept cdr/cdrw - it's not the latest so perhaps not.

I used a cd-rw as I wanted to try it out first. It's Philips so should be ok. Should I be using CDr's only?

I'm assuming the writer is clean enough as the disk will play ok on the pc.

Not sure of the writing speed - Nero selected it automatically.

Thanks

HJ

frostbite
15th Nov 2006, 14:23
Since it's a CDRW - did you close it after writing?

airborne_artist
15th Nov 2006, 14:24
CD players are a law unto themselves - it'll be trial and error.

Writing MP3 to CD can be done in two ways: copy the MP3s to the CD, to play as MP3s, which most new car CD players now do, or use the MP3 as the source to write a cda onto the CD, whcih should work in another CD player.

Hew Jaz
15th Nov 2006, 14:35
I'm not sure if I did close it..! Nero did all the work.. but apparently the disk is full although the file was only a couple of mb. Does that mean it's closed?

Re: mp3's - I tried writing mp3's to a cd but it refused to play in the car. After many futile attempts, car went back to garage to have mp3 player checked. Spotty faced kid appeared with a home produced cd which did play. Despite my attempts since, I have been unsuccessful, but haven't shown the ol' face at the garage since...:uhoh:

It all seems like sticky finger trouble to me, but I can't see where the problem is....:ugh:

Cheers

HJ