PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Mouse!

oncemorealoft
15th Nov 2006, 09:37
I've noticed on my home PC (A Dell running Windows XP) that the cursor has started 'creeping' up the page even though the mouse is stationary. It goes up in a diagonal, even, step motion a few pixels at a time.

No other obvious problems but I'm not sure this is healthy. Any ideas?

Many thanks

BombayDuck
15th Nov 2006, 11:14
its perfectly normal behavious for Optical mice - i think it happens if there is something directly under the sensor that "bends" the light away... causing the system to think the mouse was moved and so moves the pointer. Nothing to be alarmed about :)

oncemorealoft
15th Nov 2006, 12:39
Thanks Bombay Duck.

Thing is, it's not an optical mouse!

Plus, it's only just started doing it...

Ontariotech
15th Nov 2006, 13:41
Try reloading the drivers for the optical mouse. Or if it comes with an installation CD, try reinstalling it. Usually works the best.

If it's not an optical, as you stated, try removing the ball from the inside, and cleaning the gunk from inside of the mouse itself. Usually works.

tlf
15th Nov 2006, 19:25
I've also experienced this at two different job locations and strangely also both on dell computers. In one case it was caused by a cellphone, the interference could also be heard in the air/ground radio on the same desk. The closer you put the cellphone to the mouse cord the faster it would move the cursor. In both cases it was a ball mouse.

four_two
15th Nov 2006, 20:00
Just to add, I have a Dell and an optical mouse, and the pointer creeps around the screen at times.
I can see a trend developing here.

crew the screw
30th Nov 2006, 18:40
If it's a roller ball mouse, take the ball out and clean the metalic rollers inside the mouse of the black looking goo that builds up... Just a thought?

never thought I'd be telling someone to clean a Mouses, Mices, Meeces... Balls...:E