PDA

View Full Version : Labouchere of Arabia

ORAC
15th Nov 2006, 06:35
Labouchere of Arabia (http://www.defensetech.org/archives/cat_axe_in_iraq.html) :ok: :ok:

........Nearly a century ago, British Lieutenant Colonel T.E. Lawrence -- a.k.a. Lawrence of Arabia -- raced across North Africa the Middle East on horseback, uniting warring tribes in the fight against the Ottoman Empire. Lawrence combined tactical brilliance with a deep respect and sophisticated understanding of Arabs and Islam. Labouchere does the same. Where elsewhere in Iraq, coalition commanders fret over every violent act perpetrated by one Iraqi on another, often intervening in a way that just escalates tensions, Labouchere accepts a certain amount of bloodshed in his province ... as long as it's in line with traditional ways of resolving conflicts. Observing one recent firefight between tribal fighters and Iraqi cops, Labouchere chose not to step in. By Iraqi standards, he says, it was simply a "conversation".....

.....Staying light means doing without many of the high-tech whizbangs other coalition commanders take for granted. Periodically, Labouchere's superiors send him some fancy new gizmo on a Merlin. More often than not, he sends it right back. A couple weeks ago they sent him a Raven drone and its operators. In a rare act of indulgence, Labouchere let them demonstrate the tiny drone. But when it crashed into his Merlin, putting a dent in the prized $30-million chopper, Labouchere sent the operators packing..........

....Accustomed as I am to heavy, bristling, techy American methods in Iraq, I was shocked and little bit unnerved by Labouchere's "keep it simple" philosophy. But when I saw it working ... when I saw the way locals had warmed to his presence ... when I saw how much ground he covered and how quickly ... I declared his methods "revolutionary"........

......Imagine a Stryker brigade adopting Labouchere's model. Imagine what we could accomplish combining American resources with Labouchere's no-nonsense methods. Now imagine that American commanders had half his guts and smarts.

ProfessionalStudent
15th Nov 2006, 09:11
Had dealings with him a couple of times. Seemed as mad as a bucket of smashed crabs, but thoroughly charming and really quite enigmatic. He appeared to work tirelessly in trying to speak to the locals on their level and respect their traditions and way of life, whilst at the same time trying to make the place safer during the transition to PIC (Provincial Iraqi Control).

Personally I applaud this kind of "free thinking" in the pursuit of some kind of progress in this utterly lawless part of what is a pretty lawless country full stop. At least he's not just another "yes man" as are so many other senior British Commanders.

GPMG
15th Nov 2006, 09:29
That man is exactly the type of officer that the British army was famous for. Reading that document gives one a bit of pride back in this modern rag tag underfunded British Military. It is the very improvise, adapt, overcome (exell).

Bet there is a film about him in about 20 years. The Horror......the horror.....

TheWizard
15th Nov 2006, 09:50
Recently met this gentleman again after we landed somewhere pretty remote when he wandered across to our cab and welcomed us to his world, wearing shemagh, t-shirt, shorts and sandals ("we tend to relax around the camp area") . Spent some time talking to us about what he and his men were up to and how they were enjoying "real soldiering" without the red tape and bureaucracy of being rear based. Simple life style equals no headaches was his outlook.

'Don't upset the RSM and do what he tells you and you are more than welcome here. Thank you for your help so we can get our job done with peace of mind'.

What a thoroughly nice bloke and respected immensely by all under his command.
The 'Raven' incident was almost comical. Fantastic demonstration by the US operators of how a small remote controlled aircraft can be placed through a small opening (too small in this case) when there is nothing but open space for miles around! Priceless! :uhoh:

airborne_artist
15th Nov 2006, 09:55
Go to the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/index.jhtml) and search out (today it's on the News main page, lower right) Thomas Harding's audio reports from Iraq. #4 is an interview with Labouchere.

Green Meat
15th Nov 2006, 16:02
Did he study the LRDG at Sandbags, do you think?

airborne_artist
15th Nov 2006, 16:07
Or perhaps Popski's Private Army, or L Det, perhaps?

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_man/desert2.jpg

GeeRam
15th Nov 2006, 19:55
Or perhaps Popski's Private Army, or L Det, perhaps?
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_man/desert2.jpg

Aah......Vickers K's............:D

StbdD
15th Nov 2006, 20:27
You may have Mr Ash's update to that post ORAC.

............David Axe here. Folks have responded pretty violently to this post, especially to that last sentence. Let me clarify. There are plenty of brave and smart U.S. commanders, especially at the battalion level and below. But it's telling that none have adopted Labouchere's model. Here's why I think that is: Labouchere's methods are risky. His constant worry is that he'll get caught in a firefight against a superior force and get massacred. But that's a risk he's willing to accept in order to operate the way he does, in order to win. Most coalition forces in Iraq are, by Labouchere's estimation, hampered by an obsession with static force protection, a fortress mentality. While it's great to take care of your troops, if taking care of your troops means you handicap your own ability to operate -- thus prolonging the war and, as a result, incurring further casualties on your force -- then something's got to give.

The man has a point.