PDA

View Full Version : Hi - newbie here

mb2ai
14th Nov 2006, 12:26
Hi, Im new here; I stumbled across thus forum and thought it was really good.

The issue I have is that I crave to work for an airlines ground team in dispatch or operations. And I keep getting the 'unfortunatly we're not taking your application any further' letters. :-(

Ive just graduated with aerospace engineering, although not operations based it has touched on operations in small places. However I would have thought that this would count for somthing. Ive been looking for 6 months now, and I'm 100% sure I dont want to work anywhere else, unless it will give me operations/ground crew experience. So I'm at a dead end noe and it seem studying for 4 years has been in vain.

Please can some people share som advice or links to where i can gain experience.

Thanx in advance

MB:ok:

Man_User
16th Nov 2006, 12:15
My advice is start at the bottom and work your way up, if u have no exp in the airline industry it will be difficult to get straight into a dispatch job.
Unless you can wait until the end of winter i would apply for baggage or checkin, not much training and gets you xp in the industry.

Then maybe in the summer at the same company apply for dispatch...

Good luck with what ever you do :cool:

Ad!!!
16th Nov 2006, 14:27
Hi MB2AI. I'm afraid that working your way up from the bottom and that is exactly what I did. However I graduated last year and got a job as a baggage handler in january, the ramp trainer was really supportive and told me that I could apply to get into the dispatch department for the summer season.

I handed my CV in and after just 3 months on the ramp I past the interview and became a dispatcher and they're keeping me on through the winter. I think most of it was luck and being in the right place at the right time but it just shows there is hope. I did an aerospace degree and I think they took this as some sort of experience.

But they do look for 1 year of airport experience before taking you on but as I said I was pretty lucky.

princesssariah
17th Nov 2006, 07:02
mb2ai

Hi there, I would agree with the others, you generally have to start where you can, but also if you're prepared to make the effort something often will come up. Send cv's and letters to as many airlines / handling agents that you can think of. Also check out aviationjobsearch.co.uk and flightglobal.com, don't be afraid to apply for things that you're not sure about, all interviews are good experience and it's all about you finding out about a company and the position as well as them finding out about you!

I was lucky enough to get a job in operations with an airline who preferred people with no experience who they could train from scratch! A degree in a related subject was also desireable and my international tourism degree was really helpful.

You will probably get a lot of knockbacks as with all job hunts but perserverance is key and i'm sure you'll get something somewhere!

Good luck!

mb2ai
17th Nov 2006, 11:21
Hi all,
Thatks for your advice, working in baggage is somthing I have considered, does anyone know any places where theyre recruiting at the moment?

Bilal

movadinkampa747
17th Nov 2006, 22:28
Hi all,
Thatks for your advice, working in baggage is somthing I have considered, does anyone know any places where theyre recruiting at the moment?
Bilal

There is a job going in the Samsonite shop in our local Shopping centre.

thebeehive
18th Nov 2006, 10:48
Aviance at Gatwick are crying out for baggage/ramp staff as they have just taken over the GB Airways contract from BA (accounting for a third of BA's ramp work).

Worth contacting them :ok:

Ad!!!
20th Nov 2006, 18:14
I went through aviation resources. They advertise in aviationjobserach.com

older_wiser
21st Nov 2006, 07:56
Aviance at Gatwick are crying out for baggage/ramp staff as they have just taken over the GB Airways contract from BA (accounting for a third of BA's ramp work).
Worth contacting them :ok:

what's the situation with GB at LGW ?
Do Aviance cover all ground operations there and why is that when they are a franchise of BA.

I ask because i have some friends / ex colleagues who work as cabin crew for them ?

thebeehive
21st Nov 2006, 15:45
what's the situation with GB at LGW ?
Do Aviance cover all ground operations there and why is that when they are a franchise of BA.
I ask because i have some friends / ex colleagues who work as cabin crew for them ?

As far as I know Aviance just do the baggage/loading and everything else is still done by BA, check in etc; I guess the Aviance contract is just cheaper than BA for the baggage/loading and from what I can see Mr Walsh isn't too bothered with franchise agreements, auxillary services such as baggage/loading and anything that isn't Terminal 5 and Heathrow :}

VS now do GB's maint at LGW I think too now, another nail in the coffin of the franchise and I am sure it won't be long until GB become their own airline.

Aviance took on 50 (+/-) loaders in September so presume they were to cover the increase in flights from the GB contract, funnily enough BA also took on temp ramp agents for the winter season, and they must have known then about the loss of the contract, these BA temps have subsequently been laid off before they've even got online, only done their training. :ugh:

looptheloop
27th Nov 2006, 14:15
Signature Flight Support at Luton airport are looking for Flight Line- Aircraft Mashallers and also Opertions Assistant/Operations Controller. I found the advert on jobstoday.co.uk.