PDA

View Full Version : PDA Help

Maxflyer
13th Nov 2006, 20:23
I am thinking of buying a PDA. I am not in need of GPS although I may consider it as an add-on at a later date. I have looked at Dell and HP, but am not sure which is best. I am planning to use it to manage simple Excel spreadsheets and Word documents that can be uploaded to my PC.

Does anyone have any personal preferences, experiences or general recommendations?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

FormerFlake
13th Nov 2006, 20:46
I am thinking of buying a PDA. I am not in need of GPS although I may consider it as an add-on at a later date. I have looked at Dell and HP, but am not sure which is best. I am planning to use it to manage simple Excel spreadsheets and Word documents that can be uploaded to my PC.

Does anyone have any personal preferences, experiences or general recommendations?

I bought a Dell Axim last month and have so far been impressed. I can view and edit Excel and Word documents and view PDFs. Transfering to a PC can be done via USB, Bluetooth, IR or e-mail.

planecrazy.eu
13th Nov 2006, 20:49
Hey, I am not up with the current models, but i have Used Dell, HP, Compaq (HP Now), Palm and Acer PDA'S.

I found the IPAQ Rang and Palm Range to be the best all around in terms of performance, and reliability. I found IPAQ's more compatable though as they use the MS Mobile OS and it works great in my opinion, i managed to get plenty of add-ons or software apps for the IPAQ and most of them was free.

I would say the IPAQ 2210 or 2215 would be my all around choice, i have the older one, but the newer one is said to be even better. When i was looking around i looked at all the reviews on CNET.

I found the Acer very very temprimental, it kept freezing, it was slow, i just hated it, it felt cheap and handled cheap. I had the N30 and the N35 With GPS.

As for the Dell, i am not 100% sure. It was a good old PDA till it got robbed, and i had problems with my Dell Laptop inbetween, and when the insurance paid out i hated dell and went IPAQ. But i have to admit, i dont think there was much in Dell and Ipaq, both seemed on a par

I had to call the RAC out the other day =( but they gave me an insight into these PDA and Phones in one. He had one, it had an orange sticker on it, but not sure what it was, it felt well made, and i guess it has to be, it seemed to have windows and all the other normal PDA things, i am going to look into one of those...

NutLoose
13th Nov 2006, 23:52

have you considered combining this with your/a mobile phone? I have the O2 XDA it is a full PDA and has a phone built in it as well. touch screen and runs GPS etc........ Stunning piece of kit.

see https://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/O2/XDA_Exec

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=4166&head=0

spannersatcx
14th Nov 2006, 10:24
I used to have a Dell, until it was stolen:mad: worked well.

NutLoose
14th Nov 2006, 12:21
Hey, I am not up with the current models, but i have Used Dell, HP, Compaq (HP Now), Palm and Acer PDA'S.

I had to call the RAC out the other day =( but they gave me an insight into these PDA and Phones in one. He had one, it had an orange sticker on it, but not sure what it was, it felt well made, and i guess it has to be, it seemed to have windows and all the other normal PDA things, i am going to look into one of those...

That will probably be the same model as mine, the O2 XDA 11i
It is also used by Sky for contacting the office to connect you and for you to sign for the intstallation on, it is windows pocket PC and is a cracking item, it will do everything you want, the other post of mine for the EXEC was the updated version with the larger swivel screen, see above post... as said if the RAC and Sky amongst other comapnies are using them it shows how robust they are. the Orange items are the same but rebadge under a different number...

Not used this company but you can get details of the xda versions here

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/o2-xda.html

orange versions are

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2423

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2721

planecrazy.eu
14th Nov 2006, 13:38
Hey NL...

Thanks for the link to Orange, it was the Orange SPV M5000 - 3G Smartphone that the guy had, its the same as the 02 one you have i think, or very very similar...

I seen these things a while back in the USA, but $800, no way, looks like there £80 + depending on the package you take. PDAS are about £200 for a half decent one, so its a pretty good option...

mdc
14th Nov 2006, 17:57
How about this one (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?nmid=business_pp_pd_s&paymentPlanType=mixit&pmid=7323&menuid=ctl_phones_details)
The MDA Compact III comes with 128Mb of internal memory, a microSD card slot, 2 Megapixel digital camera with zoom, flash LED and video capture, an MP3 player, FM radio, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and USB cable connectivity.

NutLoose
15th Nov 2006, 11:53
Hey NL...

Thanks for the link to Orange, it was the Orange SPV M5000 - 3G Smartphone that the guy had, its the same as the 02 one you have i think, or very very similar...

I seen these things a while back in the USA, but $800, no way, looks like there £80 + depending on the package you take. PDAS are about £200 for a half decent one, so its a pretty good option...

Yes the o2 XDA exec and the SPV M5000 are one and the same phone, just a little variance on software and case colours,

U can pick the O2 version up on a £30 a month 18 mth contract for free..... see as an example
http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-phones/o2/contract-mobile-phones/xda-exec.php/PNEWO2EXEC0005

but a lot are showing it as being discontinued on Orange although you might still be able to get it from some shops, PC world I believe has it.

PPRuNeUser0211
18th Nov 2006, 12:16
Heya,

I've got an XDA mini S, which is alright as far as a smart phone esque thing goes, but is nowhere near as powerful as my previous which was an XDAIIi. Can recommend the IIi if you dont mind having a palmtop sized phone, but the mini S is a good phone sized compromise!

Background Noise
18th Nov 2006, 15:29
Have an HP Ipaq 2210. Its got a nice big screen, runs windows mobile so is fully compatible with PC windows for your sync needs. It will bluetooth with a gps aerial if you go that way later but as it has 2 memory card slots you can also use a gps that plugs into a card slot - and still have a card loaded for maps etc. There must be newer versions but its pretty good - I'm sure you could get one second hand as its not top of the range anymore.

PS: There are loads on fleabay - some have GPS too.

fmgc
20th Nov 2006, 10:59
I have the 02 XDA Exec and really rate it. Mostly becuase of the decent keyboard that really allows you to type properly.

Maxflyer
20th Nov 2006, 16:11
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the helpful replies. I don't need a phone facility so I think I am going to go for the Dell Axim X51v 624MHz PDA Pocket PC.

Cheers

MF