PDA

View Full Version : Which transceiver?(looking for old thread or new info).

Tango Oscar
13th Nov 2006, 15:01
After having a partial radio failure yesterday, I've decided to buy a hand held transceiver as a backup. I know there was a thread a while ago, debating different makes and models, with or withour VOR etc, but I can't find it(I've tried many different searches).

Anyone know where I might find it (I was sure it was this forum). Or, does anyone have any thoughts on makes other than ICOM (which seem very expensive to me)

Thanks in advance:ok:

tacpot
14th Nov 2006, 11:49
The ICOMs are very well built. I've a very old A4 I bought second-hand, that is still totally reliable. Have you thought about second hand?

If I were buyign again I would pick the model with the VOR feature as some ATISs are broadcast on VOR frequencies rather than COM frequencies (and you can use it for navigation! :) )

tp.

Rod1
14th Nov 2006, 12:00
There is normally a good selection of second-hand ones on ebay if you do not mind a slightly larger unit. The new A6 is small and not too expensive if you want a new one, and works fine with rechargeable pen cells to save the cost of the rechargeable battery pack.

Rod1

Tango Oscar
14th Nov 2006, 12:28
Thanks for the replys:ok:

The transceivers on Ebay always seem a bit overpriced I think. I have been looking for a while, and it's only since some problems with the radio in my a/c that I've decided it's something that really should be in my flight bag.

The ICOM A6 is the one I've been considering, but I'm sure there was a thread on this not too long ago, and some people were recommending another make which was significently less expensive.

T.O.

Zulu Alpha
14th Nov 2006, 14:06
Be careful before you buy the latest ICOM A6 or A24. They supply a headset adapter with the transceiver. However with many headsets (I have tried DC and Bose) all you get is feedback when you try and transmit.

This is a known problem by ICOM (according to one of their dealers) but they do not reply to any communication about it. I am therefore stuck with an A6 which cannot be used as a backup. I believe many others have found the same thing.

The models before the A6/A24 sometimes come up on ebay and seem to work well.

So check carefully before you buy if you do decide on ICOM as they are useless as a backup in case of radio failure.

Rod1
14th Nov 2006, 16:04
The Headset adapter only comes with the more expensive pack, the basic version, which is the one I chose, works fine and saves a lot of cash. It also works fine with third party portable headset boxes.

Rod1

I hate the adverts!!!!!

rotorspin
14th Nov 2006, 16:18
I have the ICOM A6 Pro Pack and have use it with my Bose X headsets without an issue?

Sounds like you may have a ropey unit?

Zulu Alpha
14th Nov 2006, 21:15
I think it depends on which headset you have. See
http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=375353&highlight=#375353
and
http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23798&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

for some further discussion.
I have also had pms from dealers saying they are trying to get the problem resolved by ICOM UK who are waiting for Japan.
If you want to buy one then I suggest you take your headset along and try it in the shop. Make sure you press the PTT on the headphone adapter as pressing the one on the side of the radio activates the mic in the transceiver rather than the one in the headset.
Just a warning, as I bought mine by mail order and by the time I found this problem I was into the repair rather than refund timescales and ICOM do not have a repair available yet.
More annoyingly they do not answer emails or letters.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Nov 2006, 21:25
I have the ICOM A6 Pro Pack and have use it with my Bose X headsets without an issue?

Sounds like you may have a ropey unit?

No, it's real. About a year ago I bought an A6 and it wouldn't work with my DC headsets. Took it back to the dealer, where we tried lots of new headsets - some were better than others, but none worked correctly. We unpacked and tried an A24 - same results. The dealer refunded my money. Look at the Flyer thread and you will see that Icom do not answer correspondance about this.

The 'old model' Icoms are fine, but the new ones don't work reliably (in my experience, they don't work at all) with a headset. Buy a different make, or get a second hand old model.

IO540
14th Nov 2006, 21:27
I have the Icom A22, since having a radio failure in the circuit during one of my first PPL solos.

The headset adaptor for it works fine with every headset I have tried it with.

I also worked out a headset adaptor circuit for it, for use with the aircraft-powered bose-x headsets.

There are various other radios advertised in the American flying mags; about half the size of the UK-sold dinosaurs and waterproof! Unfortunately they apparently can't be openly sold in the UK because they are not "CAA approved". I don't know if this has any regulatory force, although I believe the Govt agency responsible for regulating transmitting equipment (whatever its current name is) has delegated the responsibility for aviation gear to the CAA. I am pretty sure personal imports are not a problem, and once in, nobody will care... Do UK Customs really care? The way to get around any problem would be to buy it via a friend out there, who removes the packaging and describes it as something else on the documentation.

There are also stories going around, originating at certain UK aviation GPS manufacturers, that the CAA approves of NICD batteries but doesn't approve of NIMH ones (how kind of them; what century is this?).

Tango Oscar
15th Nov 2006, 08:22
Looks like I won't be buying a new ICOM then(which I was very closie to doing :eek: )

Anyone have any experience of other makes. CAA approved or not ?

T.O.

oscarmike
15th Nov 2006, 11:04
Hi TO

Take a look at the Vertex VXA-300 Pilot 3:

http://www.hamradio.co.uk/acatalog/Air-Band_Transceivers.html

I bought one of these - not CAA approved but comes with the headset adaptor and works fine with my headset.

Also has VOR capability and many other features.

Good piece of kit - spec and performance at least equals the Icom range.

I used mine during the summer when our on-board radio went down, and got a good 20 miles range even using the built in rubber duck.

Hope this helps.

regards

OM

Tango Oscar
15th Nov 2006, 14:10
oscarmike - Thanks, Good spec indeed and less than £200 !!