PDA

View Full Version : FAA Validation of JAA PPL

Seagull61
13th Nov 2006, 10:17
Hi,
Does anyone know the procedure for getting my PPL validated by the FAA prior to going hour building next year.
I would use the search but it seems to return a lot of answers relating to converting between one and another, and I just want mine rubber stamped so I can use it in the US?
Any advice most welcome

the dean
13th Nov 2006, 10:51
hi seagull61,

i am sure others with have up to date info for you...but pre JAA i got that done.

all countries that are signatories to the ICAO convention must accept the basic ppl licence...(not the ratings on it though) of another state who is also a singatory..

i think you will find that if you take that into your nearest FAA office they will give you a basic PPL..(airmans certificate i think they call it ), which will be valid as long as and subject to any conditions applying to your JAA licence. as i said you can only use it PPL VFR even if it has an instrument rating on it you will not be entitled to use that in us airspace..

now how 9/11 may have changed the system i cannot say because i think unlike the old pice of paper they handed out you now probably have to go through security ( to train in the usa anyway) and i think the licence now has security details electronically printed on it...but as i say i am sure some guys with a more intimate knowledge of to-days requirements will help you..

good luck...:ok:

the dean.

Blueskyrich
13th Nov 2006, 10:52
Hi Seagull,

Check out the thread I started over in the Private Flying forum...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251665

I'm in the same boat as you, and the information I've managed to get from the thread has been incredibly helpful! :ok:

Regards,

Blueskyrich

Seagull61
13th Nov 2006, 12:45
Thanks
Looks fairly straightforward, thanks for the link