PDA

View Full Version : Am i to old for CHC

r22-male
12th Nov 2006, 21:23
have cplh im thinking of doing 6 exams for the ir,am i to old to think about getting a job offshore where can you do the single ir training

jinglejim
12th Nov 2006, 22:39
tc. check location !!!!! that might explain things.

r22-male
12th Nov 2006, 23:09
sorry 39 yrs of age would like to go off-shore

HeliJedi
13th Nov 2006, 08:45
No you are not too old to join CHC. I work for CHC and we have just recently employed a co-pilot of 38yrs of age. It all goes about experience more than age. Ideally you want 1000 hours TT, IR, some off shore time around 200hrs, be prepared to travel all over the world. Dont bother sending your CV in if you dont have an IR. Otherwise, my guess is you will get employed fairly quickly as a co-pilot. Industry is serious need of Helicopter Pilots.

HJ

r22-male
13th Nov 2006, 09:30
thanks for that,great to hear that im not to old.

Lunar
13th Nov 2006, 12:25
Jinglejim,

For a person with such few posts it is interesting to see that your style of comment seems to be based on race and not the subject in hand.

Lunar.

Wizzard
13th Nov 2006, 12:41
Having a bad day Lunar?

ps I'm Irish

Lunar
13th Nov 2006, 14:37
Not really, just annoys me when people make comments like that.

Glad to hear you're Irish, I suppose your reply means that the comment doesn't offend the people it was aimed at.

Lunar

CVR
13th Nov 2006, 19:10
Just the response I'd expect from jinglejim...
r22-male, as heliJedi has just said "No" your not too old to join CHC, BRISTOWS or the like, not knowing your experience level, the problem you may have will be hours and offshore time. Its a double edged sword my friend, if you have no offshore time chances are they wont take you, but you cant get offshore time till someone takes you on, they also wont take you unless you have an IR.
If you can afford to do the IR then go ahead and do it, this will only increase your chances of getting on the first step of the ladder, i wish you luck in what ever direction you take............:ok:
My only advise is don't listen to the likes of jingleJim....:ugh:

jinglejim
13th Nov 2006, 22:23
Lunar/ Cvr
Take a big chill pill guys, your far too sensitive... I have good mates who happen to be irish
R22 ..... Obtain your IR and start applying its all about supply and demand, and helo jocks are in demand. Your age won't be a factor....
good luck...

Lunar
13th Nov 2006, 23:01
Jinglejim,

I may be sensitive to people who post without thinking.

Maybe you should read your mail to your Irish friends and see what they think?

Lunar

Ps. I'm not racist either, I have loads of black/Asian/Irish (insert group just laughed at here)

Letsby Avenue
13th Nov 2006, 23:04
For crying out loud, I can't stand this any more... Spelling and punctuation please...:ugh: If your CV is like your posts then forget it old chap...:rolleyes:

sorath5
13th Nov 2006, 23:15
How do I get in direct contact with the maintenance hiring people? I filled out the on-line applications and sent my resume to HR, but have not heard a peep. I'm sure if I could get my resume to maint. they would call me. Thanks for your replies.

Lunar
13th Nov 2006, 23:28
For crying out loud, I can't stand this any more... Spelling and punctuation please...:ugh: If your CV is like your posts then forget it old chap...:rolleyes:

You like to use '...' these are known as ellipsis (...) they are used to show that something has been omitted. So what are you omitting?

It is a Rumour Network and not English class. My point to Jinglejim was to answer the question asked in good faith, not take the post apart based on the English used, the country the poster is from or anything else.

If you have something to teach someone new, some tips on language or anything else there are better ways to do it. Maybe post a link to a punctuation site?

Lunar

SmokinHole
13th Nov 2006, 23:39
I know this may be a bit of thread-creep, but HeliJedi/CVR are the likes of Bristows and CHC that strict about having an IR before they will even consider you? I know a guy (previous instructor of mine) who went to work offshore (last year) without an IR. Okay, to be honest I'm not sure if he got one himself or if it was paid for, but I know he couldn't afford it when I was training and I doubt that had changed. Is it really no IR, no dance?!

If so, what about if you have a heli SE IR? Or Fixed Wing ME IR? I am doing my CPL(H) next feb and was planning to get a FW ME IR maybe this time next year (after some commercial heli work), then try for the North Sea. Why Fixed Wing? Well, its a cheaper route than Heli SE/ME IR and at least if I can't get a job flying Helicopters I can either try for a fixed wing job in the meantime or pay the extra to get the Heli ME IR. Not only is it difficult to get the Heli SE IR training, but its expensive and there are painfully few jobs flying SE IR.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Lunar
13th Nov 2006, 23:44
If you get your ATPL written exams out of the way, and then carry your CV to Bristow/Bond/CHC you may be in with a chance to get them to sponsor your IR (ME) as most of them are short of pilots.

I can't stress enough, go to Aberdeen and deliver them personally.

Best of luck.

Lunar.

Ps. For the sponsorship they will bond you for between three and five years.

SmokinHole
13th Nov 2006, 23:58
Thanks for the tip Lunar.

Currently doing ATPL (A & H) theory at the mo.
Hey.. I started flying fixed wing just to stay in the air! (long story)..
But in for a penny, in for a pound - why do 13 exams for the ATPL(H) when you can do 15 and get both?! Keep all those doors open..

The bond is not a problem, as long as they're not screwing you with your pants on..

Cheers,

CVR
14th Nov 2006, 10:17
SmokeinHole, i have to agree with Lunar on that one, you will have to carry it straight to head office and present it to them in person, its far too easy for them to Fob you off over the phone or by E-mail. Keep the head down and get the ATPL exams, I can only wish you the best of luck,:ok:

Regards

CVR:cool:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
14th Nov 2006, 10:49
SmokinHole,

I'm pretty sure you'd get a job offer with a SE IR. Don't know about CHC, but Bristow do SE to ME upgrades at Norwich.

Supply and demand. There is a shortage everywhere.

Good Luck !!:ok:

NEO

fluffy5
14th Nov 2006, 16:29
Dear r22,you are not too old for offshore yet i would seriously consider getting an I.R .I myself got a bristoew se ir two years ago with low hours and hoping that some offshore company will take me on and unfortunately I am still waiting.......
This does not mean say getting an i.r will guarantee employment it would probably increase the chances.Be prepared to dole 30 grand with no result.:sad:

madman1145
14th Nov 2006, 20:44
Having to show up in person with the CV might be a bit overkill if everyone did that - imagine CHC House like Central Station - poor HR's ..

This is how I got in contact:
Attended a CHC Open House by invitation near where I live. Everyone gave their CV to them. Updated it when CPL was in house with the note that I started IR soon. After a couple of weeks of quetness I followed it up by email what status was. They wrote back asking have I started IR yet. Answered yes. Next week I was invited for shrinktest/interview(s). Passed. Now waiting for simtest :ooh: ..

CHC also upgrade a SEIR to MEIR. I know of 6 people who recently have been hired at CHC with the around 200 hours and SEIR and another 2 people with approx. 1000 hours and SEIR, so it for sure happens with lowhours and SEIR's ..
I know of one who only had CPL(H) and FW instrument who got hired by CHC. I have heard of that one or some offshore operators has previously sponsored around 10-15 IR's ..

SEIR's are done in UK (Bristow), Denmark (Billund Air Center) and I believe the Swedish still have their Longranger running. Be prepared for a longer line of people waiting to get trained ..

fluffy5, are you paying 30.000 pounds for a SEIR or did I mistake your reply ??

- madman

r22-male
15th Nov 2006, 19:47
:eek: Could any give me a rough idea how much a single IR would cost, I heard it takes about 4-6 weeks

madman1145
15th Nov 2006, 19:57
Single IR in Denmark:
- If you got FAA IR, it's about 163.000 Danish Kroner ..
- Full course is about 227.000 Danish Kroner ..

Fee's for the Danish CAA is not included, neither is extra training if needed, but 1 hour Longranger flight for the CAA examination is incl. ..
Currently there goes about 11DKr for 1£ ..

The course is VAT free in Denmark if you got CPL. Both prices incl. 3 hours TypeRating training as required by JAA. If you want the TypeRating in your book, approx. ½ flighthour extra during examination is needed ..

For explanation about the course, see this current thread: www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252302

- madman

Lunar
15th Nov 2006, 20:31
My ME IR was paid for by my company but the cost was around £37,000. Friends who did the SE IR paid around £23,000 to £25,000.

Best of luck,

Lunar

If you intend to go to the North Sea, talk to the companies before you spend the money on the SE IR.

Lplates
15th Nov 2006, 20:52
Lunar i'm glad you said that!
Very nearly a proud owner of a squeeky clean CPL license and serious about a career flying offshore. Would be crazy to get IR without first speaking to the big 3 employers in that field. Trouble is I don't have any contacts or know anybody in that particular area of the industry.
Have applied via email to all three and would like to follow up with a phone call but fear with only 200hrs and a CPL they will not take me seriously. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I have many questions I need answered.
Thanks Lplates:confused: :{

Lunar
16th Nov 2006, 07:24
Don't worry about contacts, look up the numbers and give them a call. If you just send your CV a lot of the companies will not give it the time it deserves.

Call the companies and keep the pressure on. I know one company has definately taken a few low time P2's recently, so don't be discouraged.

Lunar

kissmysquirrel
16th Nov 2006, 09:02
Lplates, I was going to email you some contacts to talk to but it appears you won't accept email from this site. Oh well. Good luck! Happy Job hunting.

ps, why is it that every question on Rotorheads ends up being about IR's and flying offshore? Doesn't anybody do a search through the threads anymore before posting?

16th Nov 2006, 13:45
Lunar, most of PPrune manages to exist and coexist without unneccessary political correctness and humour police intervention. In a world obsessed with not offending, forums like this are the last bastions of crewroom banter where normal people can crack jokes (horror of horror, even at the mild expense of an ethnic group) without being castigated as racist by petty minded individuals with nothing better to do.

SmokinHole
16th Nov 2006, 14:44
Eh??!

Did I just switch threads?

Crab, me ol' mucker, wot you on 'bout?

Lunar
16th Nov 2006, 16:12
Wow, chastised. Took someone to task for an offensive remark and get slated. I'll jump back in my box then,shall I? Wouldn't want to offend the protector of free speech.

If you want some good crew room banter then fine, if you offend someone in that crewroom you should be smart enough to apologise.

As for petty minded individuals as you put it, I think you'll mostly find them in the type of crewroom YOU like to hang out in.

All the best,

Lunar

DeltaNg
16th Nov 2006, 17:26
I thought Bond Air Services could give you an IR on their EC135 Simulator...that may be cheaper ;)

Lplates
16th Nov 2006, 17:29
Kissmysquirrel

Should be able to recieve pm's. No obvious reason why it shouldn't work. Can you please try again.

Am I missing something here!

Regards Lplates.

kissmysquirrel
16th Nov 2006, 19:41
The IR with Bond will work out at about £40k+, if you add in the 135 type rating before hand. Not the cheapest way to go by any stretch of the imagination.

DeltaNg
16th Nov 2006, 21:47
Well there you go..... I know absoloutley nothing. Just thought a
sim might be cheeper than a multi engine heliocopter.

Obviosuly not. sic.

17th Nov 2006, 07:53
Lunar - the problem I have with you taking jinglejim to task is that you (who I am guessing are not Irish because you didn't mention it) have decided that his comment would be offensive to all Irish people. If an Irish person had posted and said they were offended then jjim would have apologised - that is the way it should happen. Instead you choose to take offence by proxy despite the probability that 99% of Irish people would not have found the remark offensive.

T4 Risen
17th Nov 2006, 07:53
LP,
I have sent a PM with a possible contact if it is any use if you didnt recieve pm me and i will pass you an email address where i can pass on info
T4

Lunar
17th Nov 2006, 08:58
Crab,

Your powers of deduction are as strong as your reasoning. You have been posting here for a long time, and I have read a lot of our comments in the past and agreed with them, but now I am seeing you in another light.

It shouldn't matter whether or not I am Irish, how are you so sure Jinglejim would have apologised if he thought I was Irish, maybe he would have just have had another dig. In my experience most helicopter pilots hate when people quote meaningless statistics, your 99% is about as creative as they get.

I am Irish, I took offence, and so I took him to task. You seem to think that I should have posted a copy of my passport to prove my heritage in order to get an this guy to apologise.

It is nice to know that you are out there fighting the corner for small minded people, keep it up, you are doing a fine job!

Now let the matter rest, unless you or jinglejim want to apologise to the 1% that find you both reprehensible.

Lunar

fflyboy101
17th Nov 2006, 12:53
Hi all
I am one of the low timers taken on by one of the big 3 with around 300 hours. I am bonded for the type ratings and IR course for 5 years but I really don't mind.
Myself and a friend of mine visited all 3 companies in Aberdeen and gave our cv's personally. I also went a second time just to drill in that I was interested!
Had to wait a year between Psychometric (jeez, hope i spelt that correct!) tests and going for sim test, but it was well worth it!

Lplates
17th Nov 2006, 15:03
fflyboy101

Congrats!

Its encouraging to here it can be done. I bet you feel pretty bloody pleased with yourself!

I'll get there one day

Regards Lplates.

P.S Given the title of the thread are you refering to CHC. Plus I would be very interested to here the duty hours/off duty hours arrangement. Reason being I don't intend to reside in Aberdeen.

18th Nov 2006, 06:21
Lunar, if you are Irish then I apologise and I am sure that jinglejim would have done so as well. My 99% may well have been creative but it was based on the many Irish people I have known and worked with who (like most helicopter pilots) don't take themselves too seriously and certainly wouldn't have taken offence to the lighthearted remark that jinglejim made.

If your superior deductive reasoning concludes that I am small-minded because I dislike political correctness and all it stands for then so be it - I can live with that without taking umbrage.

fflyboy101
18th Nov 2006, 08:19
Lplates

Not going to Aberdeen and as yet I don't know my work rota. Have to get the IR out of the way first so I guess their not making plans for me till such time. I was supposed to fly the IR yesterday but the winds were too strong!! You get yourself all hyped up and now I'm gonna have to wait another week lol.

Whirlygig
18th Nov 2006, 08:29
Well I'm Irish and I didn't take offence! :}

Cheers

Whirls