PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player Library

A V 8
12th Nov 2006, 21:04
Ladies and Gents, your help here would be most appreciated.

I need to delete my Windows Media Player Library but dont know how. Searched google which says delete C\Docs and settings\all users\application file\etc......wmplibrary, however, after docs and settings, no such directories or files exist.

I can't delete the tracks one by one as I have approximately 35000 tunes in the library! I'd be there all year! I've also tried un-installing and re-installing, but the library remains.

A bit of background info: I had to wipe my HD yesterday and reinstall windows (XP) which is defaulted to WMP 9. I much prefer WMP 10 but MS now forces me to download WMP 11 - which I dont get on with. Before I added my 35k tunes to the library, I changed the name of my external HD from F: to E:. I didn't restart before adding the tunes to the library and have a duplicate of every tune (35k on E: and 35k on F, however F, no longer exists and my library contains 35000 duff links to music!:ugh:

As a last resort, I'll have to wipe the C drive again!:eek:

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

AV8

CapCon
12th Nov 2006, 22:29
First, go into the library and click on 'All Music' to display all tracks. Then press Control and A at the same time to highlight all tracks. Then press Delete. That will then clear your library.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

CapCon

A V 8
12th Nov 2006, 23:11
Cheers for your reply CapCon,

I failed to mention I'd tried that. Ctrl + A didn't work but I highlighted all the tracks anyway and pressed delete. This caused WMP to freeze - I'm guessing due to the sheer number of music files.

A work colleague has just informed me that I need to unhide hidden files, so I'll give that a go when I get home.

Regards,

AV8

Tarq57
13th Nov 2006, 03:00
Not really 100% sure about this, but try Ccleaner. In "applications" make sure windows media player is ticked. Deletes my playlist every time, if I so want.

jetcollie
13th Nov 2006, 07:20
Hi AV8,

Have you tried a search of My Computer for the file 'wmplibrary'. It may be in a different folder. Make sure that under 'Search Options' you have ticked 'advanced options' and that search system folders/hidden folders and subfloders are all ticked. If you find it then right click and delete. Good luck.

Tom Riddell

maxell
13th Nov 2006, 08:08
application data is a hidden folder, when you open docs and settings go to tools on the top bar then folder options look for the view tag and make sure show hidden files and folders has a tick in it. From there my media player playlist is under my name in aplication data microsoft/media player

A V 8
13th Nov 2006, 08:31
I really appreciate the time you've all taken to come up with solutions to my problem.

And an extra big thanks to Maxell - spot on my friend:ok:

Thanks to you all again,

AV8

Jhieminga
13th Nov 2006, 10:50
Just an addition, but you can still find WMP10 on the Microsoft site, it just takes a bit of searching.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=

Scroll down to the version you want to use.

A V 8
13th Nov 2006, 20:41
Jhieminga,

You are a star - thanks :ok:

AV8