PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live One Care - good/bad?

Keygrip
11th Nov 2006, 22:49
The time is fast approaching (22 days according to the box that pops up every time I open my computer) for my Norton Antivirus and Internet Security software to expire.

As it has proven to be an absolute :mad: nightmare, I'm seriously considering searching out another, and hopefully more reliable, security, spyware and anti-virus program(me).

I know that the down side is that it's made by Microsoft - but does anybody have anything constructive to say either for or against the actual job it does, despite the brand name?

Before anybody growls - I've done a search, using the words "Windows Live One Care" - for some reason the search function drops the word "One" and all I get is a half dozen threads going back to 2002 (before the software was even written).

rotorcraig
11th Nov 2006, 23:01
I'd stick with free 3rd party tools personally.

AVG Free Edition (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1) for AntiVirus
Kerio Personal Firewall (http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio-Download.cfm) as a replacement for XP's inbound only firewall
Ad-Aware SE Personal (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php) and Spybot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html) for Spyware protection

I've used these for years on various PCs, not paid a penny and not had a problem.

RC

Telstar
12th Nov 2006, 10:38
Keygrip, Norton in my experience was one of the worst pieces of software I ever installed on me 'pooter, even more so then AOLs software, and that is saying something! It was a real resource hog, and gave endless false warnings, and it was extremely expensive for the yearly updates. It kept jamming my computer up so one day I got so sick of it I just binned it, and got AVG, and it was a revelation. It works away in the background, has an e-mail scanner, updates itself without being prompted and it is totally free to use. You are computer savvy enough that you can run individual programmes for spyware, ad-aware is excellent and free, Zone Alarm firewall is also free and very good. I have been running this combo for the last two years and have had no problems. I agree with Rotorcraig. Also changing to firefox for your web browser is an excellent way to stop picking up other crap on the Internet.

Kungaloosh!

frostbite
12th Nov 2006, 11:44
As stated on here many times before, I wouldn't use Norton or IE if you paid me! (well, it would have to be a LOT)

Used Firefox/ZoneAlarm/Avast for years. No expense and no problems.

Keygrip
30th Nov 2006, 02:50
Thank you, folks.

Norton c'est dans la dustbin.

Dumped Norton from my desktop, now run AVG ......AND it found a bug that Norton appears to have missed on its first full system scan (which it now does every 24 hours (as did Norton)). My machine runs a darned site faster, too.

Was already running AdAware SE Personal. Can that be set to run automatically?

I THINK I'm happy with the firewall(s) as they are all configured through my DSL modem and my router.

Oceanz
30th Nov 2006, 03:08
Keygrip, just remember that you get what you pay for - in the case of the free version AVG, the virus definition files are not updated daily, ditto free Adaware etc. Still AVG free is better than no AV at all.

I agree about Norton - a few years ago we had a virus take out every computer in the office (software developers) and mine was the only one spared - I was using - and still use - VET. The others were AVG free & paid Norton.

Oceanz

amanoffewwords
30th Nov 2006, 06:47
in the case of the free version AVG, the virus definition files are not updated daily

It is on my [free] version...:confused:

BOAC
30th Nov 2006, 07:41
Oceanz - open 'Scheduler'/'Scheduled Tasks'/'Edit Schedule' and set it there.

While we are on 'AVG' - what is the opinion on having to pay for it next year? Do the experts reckon it is a good value product or should I look at another? I have found it excellent so far and have stopped my other subscribed AV product.

Oceanz
30th Nov 2006, 08:13
BOAC - I'll do further checking - ran it pass my SysAdmin guys and they still think the same as me. It's not the scheduling of the Def file updates that is the question, but rather the updates that are actually coming down from the AVG site. I do stand to be corrected if they have changed this policy in the last year or two.

BTW - I do recommend AVG Free to all my clients who don't want to pay for a subscribed product.

BOAC
30th Nov 2006, 08:45
It changes to 'paid' next year!

Make sure you have 'Scheduler' enabled under 'View'/'Components'

amanoffewwords
30th Nov 2006, 09:20
It changes to 'paid' next year!

The way I understand it is that the free version 7.1 is being discontinued in January 2007, but version 7.5 takes over as the free offering.

This from their site (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/21/lng/us/tpl/v5):

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007.

BOAC
30th Nov 2006, 11:01
Yes - I obviously mis-read the bit they sent me. Thanks for that. Downloading right now:)

amanoffewwords
30th Nov 2006, 12:08
Yes - I obviously mis-read the bit they sent me.

Ditto at first, it was written by a beancounter trying to get us to pay up ;)

Though I'm thinking of getting their all-in-one security package since my kids are getting more and more addicted to the Net hence their PCs are getting more spyware and such.:{

But, to answer the original question in the thread, I wouldn't suggest going with anything security related made by Micro$oft - their track record in securing such things as IE is dubious so I prefer to leave it to people who know what they're talking about.

Mac the Knife
30th Nov 2006, 16:41
"Get always-on protection and maintenance for up to 3 PCs for just $49.95 a year!" :yuk:

The idea of paying MS more money to secure their darned insecure OS that you've just forked over $$$ to get (or paid the MS-tax on a new PC) makes my gorge rise.

And I thought their new super-soaraway Vista was so "secure" that you didn't need AV (according to Ballmer {hastily retracted})!!!

Windows runs my son's games PC in this house (and I use AVG) - all it's good for. All the rest run Linux (Mepis, SuSE and Kubuntu) so I can get some work done and forget about all that crap.

I can get all those fancy, transparent, wobbling effects on Linux right now for free
if I want - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE - and I don't have to upgrade to a soopa-doopa "Vista ready" machine or pay MS a dime either.

:ok:

[actually they make me giddy, so I switch 'em off - just more timewasting eyecandy]