PDA

View Full Version : Flying pay cut off date for ex UAS bursors

party boy
10th Nov 2006, 16:29
Maybe some other person out there is in the same boat as me? would appreciate some advice:

Certainly, I do not know where to start with JPA on this one...

I attended OASC in 2001 and obtained a bursary leading to entry into the RAF following the completion of my degree. The paperwork I recieved at the time said that I would start getting my flying pay 72 weeks after commencing my flying training less 24 weeks in leu of the fact that I completed EFT whilst at uni. Great. A year and a half ago I reached this point, only to find that a new rule -flying pay at the end of OCU- had been applied to me as I completed my EFT FHT after 01 Apr 03. In fact I did it about 2 weeks after that date -blissfully unaware as the date had not been set at that time. Had I known at the time I could have completed it months before.:ugh:
I have been trying to just let it go, but my course mates all the way through training and now as I begin the OCU, have always had flying pay, seems a bit unfair. Anyone out there in my postion had any success?

feel free to abuse me for my moaning
I love it!

JNo
12th Nov 2006, 16:01
A few guys on my Shawbury course were in exactly the same position as you. Can't remember exactyl how they managed it, but the got the 60 Sqn Boss/OC PSF/Stn Cdr on side about this apparent 'failing' and they all ended up getting flying pay 72 weeks in.

Have you tried speaking to PMA or PSF about it?

Pontius Navigator
12th Nov 2006, 17:15
flying pay at the end of OCU

They are penny pinching all the way.

I got flying instructional pay from first flight and full flying pay from wings. Then in about 1988 they decided that as people wanted to fly there was no need to pay them during training.

My course was lucky. Everyone had started flying at UAS and therefore already qualified even though their flying training started after the cut-off.

I don't know the ins and outs of the new rules but it is certainly worth fighting, not least as you might be able to hint at breach of contract.

Could be the last?
12th Nov 2006, 17:27
Having had cash for going to uni, then having the chance to do yor FHT early and not bothering...... UNLUCKY:{

vecvechookattack
12th Nov 2006, 17:40
seems a bit unfair Unfair.....???? Unfair...? You need to log onto your JPA terminal soonest and give it all back you freeloading TVscreen CPD. I can't believe that you are in receipt of SSP....bad juju's

Uncle Ginsters
13th Nov 2006, 12:09
Party Boy,
Whatever course you decide to take, i know of several succesful redresses on this matter from exactly your position. They quite rightly stated that because the decision was poorly disseminated, UAS studes were deprived of the chance to finish before the cut-off date. Thus, through no fault of their own are being deprived of a part of the terms to which they signed up under....i reckon it's worth a letter anyway!

Good Luck

Uncle G :ok:

ProfessionalStudent
13th Nov 2006, 12:49
I think you might be in luck, only being 2 weeks after the cut-off. Colleagues of mine in the same boat got theirs by writing a letter to OC PSF (don't start!) outlining the case, backed up with a letter from their old UAS OC stating that they would have been able to complete their FHT before the cut-off had the information been better disemminated. No letter of support, no wonga. They also sent photocopies of their log books (the relevant pages anyway), showing when they completed their FHTs.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
13th Nov 2006, 15:10
If you got your bursary in 2001 (ie before 1st April 03) then I believe it is irrelevant when you finished your EFT and will be quids in.

party boy
13th Nov 2006, 15:30
Thanks for all the responses chaps,

Sounds like having a chat with OC PSF is the way forward; got a DI night soon, I will make a mental note to give him a good chest-poking.

I cant really think of a good comeback for Could be the last -He's quite right. I did get payed for going to uni, I did spend it all on beer and yes I should have done FHT sooner. But I'll be damned if I didn't have the best 3 years of my life in the process!!

Party Boy

Pontius Navigator
14th Nov 2006, 06:44
OC PSF is the way forward; got a DI night soon, I will make a mental note to give him a good chest-poking.

Give the guy a break. He might be from handbrake house but he is not going to bring the JSPs along with him.

Do the metaphorical and see him before the dining-in night and buy him a beer if he has solved the problem and may be a chest poke if he hasn't.

party boy
14th Nov 2006, 14:34
Sound advice Mr pontius navigator! I do agree that it would be unfair to use chest poking as my first means of contact with the admin world. And another thing.....

Minstral
19th Nov 2006, 15:36
PartyBoy

Not sure if you are aware, but they changed the cut-off dates for flying pay applications to 1 Aug 03. As long as you finished EFT before then you are automatically eligible for flying pay on your 73rd week of flying related training.

This includes 24 weeks for EFT
9 weeks holding
1 Week Moortrek
1 Week Henlow
and for every day you flew during your hold that counts as another day towards flying pay.

If you finished after 1 Aug 03 then get typing. I finished 19 Sep 03 as I was unaware that I need to rush to finish so I am trying to make my case!

Good luck

Minstral