PDA

View Full Version : Scary Ride on World Air Flight

CVTDog
10th Nov 2006, 08:55
This is a bit second hand as I got it from my brother who has just returned from Jamaica.

No mention of it on the "professional rumor" bit so I though I would post it here

His flight was due to be on a A340 with Air Jamaica from LHR to Montego Bay. (Sunday 29th) After checking in he was informed that the A340 was out of action and a "World Air" aircraft was being substituded and would be taking them across.

He was a dissapointed to see that it was an old DC10-30 which was looking quite shabby, no IFE and just looking generally tired inside and out. The plane was pretty full and a normal takeoff ensued.

Approx 41/2 hours into the flight the plane "shook" for a couple of seconds quite violently and then returned to normal. about 5 minutes later the vibartion / shaking came back - again for about 5 to 10 seconds then quiet again for approx 3 minutes.

When it happended again for a third time the cabin crew started to move very quickly down the cabin and started to peer out of the window on the port side of the aircraft looking very nervous as the vibration continued persistantly.

The captain then came onto the tannoy and she said that she was experiencing some technical problems with the port engine and as a precaution she was shutting it down.

The plane was vibarting very badly at this time and the PAX were all very nervous. The vibration subsided then but the noise from the other two engines increased (I imagine to compensate for the extra thrust required)

She then came onto the tannoy again to say they had completed fuel calculations and wold be continuing on to Jamaica but would be landing at Kingston instead on the remaining two engines.

Thankfully all went well from that point.

There are some pictures of the aircraft below - coincidentally someone took a photo of it the day it went out of LHR.

And even more coincidentally the other pic show the aircraft a couple of years ago either taxing or landing with the port engine off - how strange (but no doubt a coinidence)

The plane has been around a bit - Ex Iberia (1981) then Continental then World Air.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=113294 (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=113294)

Globaliser
13th Nov 2006, 19:59
Approx 41/2 hours into the flight the plane "shook" for a couple of seconds quite violently and then returned to normal. about 5 minutes later the vibartion / shaking came back - again for about 5 to 10 seconds then quiet again for approx 3 minutes.

When it happended again for a third time the cabin crew started to move very quickly down the cabin and started to peer out of the window on the port side of the aircraft looking very nervous as the vibration continued persistantly.

The captain then came onto the tannoy and she said that she was experiencing some technical problems with the port engine and as a precaution she was shutting it down.It sounds like there were some compressor stalls or something like that. It happens. I had it once on a flight back from Australia on Qantas. So it can even happen to the airline that's never had a crash.* No big deal. It only half woke me up, and then I went back to sleep again.

* Yes, I know it's not true, but it sounded good for effect. :p

TotalBeginner
13th Nov 2006, 22:51
And even more coincidentally the other pic show the aircraft a couple of years ago either taxing or landing with the port engine off

I would debate that the second picture depicts the aircraft taxiing or landing. The condensation seen in the engine intakes is concurrent with high power and I would guess that the aircraft is taking off. the lack of condensation in the port engine, does not necessarily mean that it is "turned off". I think that it is very unlikely that the crew would attempt a two engine take-off.