PDA

View Full Version : B747-400 Mtom

cheekymonkey75
9th Nov 2006, 18:35
Hi Guys

I hope this is right area and apologise if this has been answered before but I am looking for CX B747-400 MTOM and A340-600/300 MTOM etc... can any one point me in right direction have looked on CX website no joy:ugh:

While I am exposing my lack of knowledge can anyone point me in right direction for latest A/c orders etc...

Thanks in advance

CM75

sizematters
9th Nov 2006, 21:54
well my guess is that if anyone new what the F@#k MTOM is they might be able to help...........................................

but then I've only been on the -400 for 10 years so what would I know !!!!

Night Watch
10th Nov 2006, 01:31
Been flying for 13 years...... and i have no idea what MTOM is? I guessing it stands for Maximum Take Off Mass??? If so this is not a term used... not on large jets anyway. Try doing a search on the wannabes forum for MTOW, because i wouldn't have a clue of the weights of the Boeing fleet.

Thunderbird4
10th Nov 2006, 04:35
Come on guys haven't you been studying!
MTOM is max turn off momentum. The chap is looking for the weight at which you can make the first high speed exit on landing. My guess on most aircraft is the square root of turn burst pressure.

Five Green
10th Nov 2006, 05:18
Would that be the tire burst pressure of a new tire or a re-treaded tire ?

Would that be the pressure on the outside or inside of the bogie ?

Why wasn't the tire burst pressure (or temperature ) included in my limitations section ?

That's it I am calling Mr. Boeing !!

sizematters
10th Nov 2006, 05:23
is that the first high speed turn off on the left or the right ???

are all High speed turn off's the same distance from the end of the runway ???

is MTOM measured in thrunge widgets per square thingamyjig

or Kilonewtons per square foot ???

I think if I get to grips with MTOM I will finally have a complete grasp of the totally irrelevant..................

yippeee !!!!!!

cheekymonkey75
10th Nov 2006, 07:59
well my guess is that if anyone new what the F@#k MTOM is they might be able to help...........................................
but then I've only been on the -400 for 10 years so what would I know !!!!

Sorry for the confusion MTOM is JAR term; MTOM = MAX TAKE OFF MASS
or MTOW = MAX TAKE OFF WEIGHT.

I know the B747-400 is in region of 395 tonnes but was looking for CX weights they use.......:}

Thanks for the help...????

CM75

Striker58
10th Nov 2006, 08:08
No need to apologise for the confusion, it's been a fun post :) !

A340-300 MTOM = 275T
A340-600 MTOM = 368T
A330 varies but the heaviest ones MTOM = 233T

donpizmeov
10th Nov 2006, 09:19
Striker,

I thought it was 135000lbs? No.10, the quite achievers.:}

Don

cpdude
10th Nov 2006, 15:06
Just go to the Boeing or Airbus site.

TheOddOne
10th Nov 2006, 17:04
Try 394.63 tonnes as an example of one particular 747-400 presently operating between Europe and HKG.

Gawd knows what it is in lbs - who uses those, these days?

Some have said that the -400 represents the MTOW of this variant of the Queen of the Skies, but I'd be surprised if Boeing would've thought of that, being wedded to good ole English units of measurement.

I don't think that MTOM is really going to catch on. Someone calculated the reduction in Concorde's weight in flight because it was operating further away from the Earth's mass than when it was at rest on the ground - I think it could be expressed better in grammes rather than in tonnes!

So, for all intents and purposes, Mass = Weight, so MTOW will be around for some time.

The Odd One

cpdude
10th Nov 2006, 17:30
Try 394.63 tonnes as an example of one particular 747-400 presently operating between Europe and HKG.
Gawd knows what it is in lbs - who uses those, these days?

Try Boeing! Why do you think our max weight is such an odd number?:)

Numero Crunchero
12th Nov 2006, 11:50
The odd one
Dont laugh...it has an effect!
If you are flying east over the equator, your relative speed, to a point in space, is your GS of say 480kts and earths rotational speed of 900kts giving a total speed of almost 1400kts...flying west it is around 400kts. Apparently it gives a total differential of almost 0.6% of fuel burn between the two directions, all else being equal!

404 Titan
12th Nov 2006, 13:42
Numero Crunchero

You’ll have to explain that to me the next time we fly together but for now I’m going to go to bed and probably won’t sleep because I’m going to have to figure it out. Hmmmm.:hmm:

Five Green
13th Nov 2006, 23:47
The odd one
Dont laugh...it has an effect!
If you are flying east over the equator, your relative speed, to a point in space, is your GS of say 480kts and earths rotational speed of 900kts giving a total speed of almost 1400kts...flying west it is around 400kts. Apparently it gives a total differential of almost 0.6% of fuel burn between the two directions, all else being equal!

Ah that iis why our steam driven FMC updates the performance figs everytime we turn around ! So it is not the lower BTUs from Jet A after all !!

Also thought that the equator ran East West....hmmmm