PDA

View Full Version : Lost bags BA

seasoned traveller
9th Nov 2006, 10:34
Can someone pls help me, I have recently just arrived in Australia having flown from the UK with BA via Hong Kong. I arrived at Hong Kong to be informed by a rep that my bag had been lost in London and not made the flight.

I was given a BA call centre number in the UK to make contact with them to establish where my bag is and what they are doing about it.

I have tried for the last week to phone this number however there is a recorded message stating that i should try later due to a high demand in calls then it cuts you off. I have also send emails, at least 10! to thier customer service dept and via thier bagage tracking system and have not even had an acknowledgement from BA I am lost in what I can do.

I have also tried Qantas who states that its a BA problem !

I don't know what to do next I am just wondering if anyone has a telephone number will get me to speak to a BA rep or had similar problems and can advise what they did.:*

CHIVILCOY
9th Nov 2006, 11:34
Seems to me someone in Australia is passing the buck.
I would have thought that it would be the BA agent in Australia to find your luggage and keep you informed and not wholly up to you to be phoning the UK.
The number they gave you is probably the same number I used earlier this year.I found that it was very hard to get through during daytime in the UK and had best reults in UK evening time.

I would go back to the airport and badger someone there to get on your case.(no pun intended).I found BA good to deal with when mine went walkies.

Hope it turns up, better informed Ppruners shall give you better information I'm sure.

seasoned traveller
10th Nov 2006, 05:38
Chivilcoy, thanks for your response, the problem is that there are no BA agents in Australia, qantas is the agent however since our bags got lost on the London - Hong Kong flight which was operated by BA then qantas states that its a BA problem and they cannot help us.

I think the main issue as well is that BA have not answered any of our emails just an acknowledgement would have would have been appropriate under the circumstances!:ugh:

CHIVILCOY
10th Nov 2006, 06:47
Were your bags checked right through from the UK to Oz?

If so it is the responsibility of your last connecting airline to sort out the mess even more so if it was a BA/Qantas codeshare.

My bags were lost in Madrid on a flight from EZE with Iberia,they had been checked right through to GLA with a BA flight from Madrid.
BA did the tracing for us even though it wasn't strictly their fault.

I had hoped an expert would have replied to your post by now.

PAXboy
10th Nov 2006, 08:51
seasoned It sounds as if you are not a member of BA Exec Club? If you are - log into the web site and use the Contacts there, otherwise, this is the information listed. Also, I presume that you have a copy of the form you filled in? Or was it an online claim form and you have a print-off?

Baggage Claims
They only list a UK number on 0870 but try this:
+44 191 490 7901
Fax: +44 20 8759 4314

Monday-Friday
08:00 to 18:30 GMT

British Airways
Baggage Claims
Unit (S506)
PO Box 5619
Sudbury
Suffolk
CO10 2PG

Sorry if that is all the information that you currently have but faxing letters may be best, particularly given the time zone problem. The advantage of fax is that you get a time stamp and a positive confirmation of delivery that you do not get with e-mail.

computer jockey
10th Nov 2006, 10:04
Yep, I've lost count of the number of times my bag has taken a different route than me! Worse since the security clamp down esp. LHR.

seasoned, did you check your bags right through? If you did, then Quantas should be the ones to trace it. They are trying to duck responsibility if that's the case. Did you file a PIR on arrival? (Passenger Irregularity Report). If so, you should have got a file number. Then try here:

http://mylostbag.com/www.mylostbag.com/ (http://mylostbag.com/www.mylostbag.com/action.lasso?-response=index2.html&-token.lang=en)

If you didn't file a PIR, go right back to the airport with your baggage tags and badger someone at Qantas until you do and you get a file number. The problem is that your bags will turn up at your destination, but no-one has your name on file so won't know what to do with them. (In any case, have a peek around the arrivals if you can, they might have already arrived and are sitting forlornly in a corner).

If they were checked as far as HK and you intended to check them in again for the next flight, then you should have got a file reference from BA. In that case check the above website. BA will take responsibility to forward your bags to your destination and advise you when they arrive.

I must say that that is bad of Quantas to shrug you off. It is their responsibility, even though the bag was not on the BA flight. Sounds like someone doesn't know their job (or care).

Good luck & let us know how you get on.
cj

apaddyinuk
13th Nov 2006, 20:22
Here we go...

If you were ticketed (and your bags tagged) LHR-HKG-SYD (or wherever it was in oz that you landed) then it is the responsibility of the last carrier travelled to take the report and find the bag for you. If however you only flew LHR-HKG with BA and not gone any further on that day then you should have made a report with their ground staff in HKG. HOWEVER....As a member of the Oneworld Alliance Qantas should be able to help you either way. They may not be able to play around with your report on Worldtracer but they should at least give you some info on the status of your luggage.

Best of luck with it. I am a former baggage tracer and Im sure they will turn up soon.