PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Fly a Malbu

S-Works
9th Nov 2006, 10:27
Any ideas where I can get access to a Piper Malibu for rental? Or some other high performance pressurised aircraft?

pistongone
9th Nov 2006, 10:35
Hi Bose,
I seem to remember the outfit at Fowlmere (Modern Air?) do Malibu's? Or if you really want to push the boat out, ask the Socata people at Biggin if you can check out on a TBM700/850!:ok: Also, i know its not pressurised(or is it?) Craig Seville at Barton was talking about getting a New(ish?) Caravan on line.
What about the Bonanza at Fairoaks? Not pressurised but a fast six seater?

Here's the web site for Fowlmere!

http://home.btconnect.com/modair/html/services.html

acuba 290
9th Nov 2006, 12:16
Hi Bose,
I seem to remember the outfit at Fowlmere (Modern Air?) do Malibu's? Or if you really want to push the boat out, ask the Socata people at Biggin if you can check out on a TBM700/850!:ok: Also, i know its not pressurised(or is it?) Craig Seville at Barton was talking about getting a New(ish?) Caravan on line.
What about the Bonanza at Fairoaks? Not pressurised but a fast six seater?

Here's the web site for Fowlmere!

http://home.btconnect.com/modair/html/services.html

sorry for offtop, but after looking this webpage ai am chocked: prices is just terrible at this company, don't understand at all, how british PPL-people can chart such planes:confused: It more expensive on Phounds as in Germany in Euros, ans even german prices is too high i think...

pistongone
9th Nov 2006, 12:27
Freundlsche Grusse acuba290.
Der flugzeuge meitung ist ser teuer in Gross Briatanien. Vie viel costet im Deutschland fur der gleische beispiel?
Auser welcher stadt kommes du?
Tsus

acuba 290
9th Nov 2006, 18:39
Freundlsche Grusse acuba290.
Der flugzeuge meitung ist ser teuer in Gross Briatanien. Vie viel costet im Deutschland fur der gleische beispiel?
Auser welcher stadt kommes du?
Tsus

I live in Munich or Sankt Petersburg (Russia) or sometimes in Tallinn, Estonia.
In Munich you can get 152 from 100-110 Euro and 172 from 142 Euro, without to be member in the club. If you are member, you pay less. P-34 can be very expensive, from 330 to 450 Euros

Stan Evil
9th Nov 2006, 19:33
Bose

Even the piston Malibu is a 'type' and so to fly it you need a type rating. To get a type rating you need to do a course at a TRTO. The same is true for the TBM700. The CAA publishes a list of UK TRTOs so you can find out where training is available.

The Caravan is a class rather than a type and so training can be done by a suitably qualified FI.

BRL
9th Nov 2006, 22:03
Any ideas where I can get access to a Piper Malibu for rental? Or some other high performance pressurised aircraft?

A Malibu! Nice. Where are you going and can I come with you as talking ballast! :)

S-Works
10th Nov 2006, 07:33
Bose
Even the piston Malibu is a 'type' and so to fly it you need a type rating. To get a type rating you need to do a course at a TRTO. The same is true for the TBM700. The CAA publishes a list of UK TRTOs so you can find out where training is available.
The Caravan is a class rather than a type and so training can be done by a suitably qualified FI.
Thanks, I am aware of the requirements for a type rating, this is the point of the excercise and I have a trip to Cyprus planned and thought it would be nice to in a Malibu.

IO540
10th Nov 2006, 07:38

That got a G-reg. What is it for an N-reg?

I recently read a report on the Malibu engine history. Only 2% (two percent) make it to TBO without cracked cylinders and similar major work. These planes are constantly in the workshop.

swervin'mervin
10th Nov 2006, 14:30
This is normally pilot induced I believe. They are easy to shock cool decending from altitude without monitoring CHT.

HS125
10th Nov 2006, 14:38
This is normally pilot induced I believe. They are easy to shock cool decending from altitude without monitoring CHT.

This is true, its often the case with engines like this, The Cessna 421 is a brilliant aircraft but very sensitive in this respect. The trouble from this point of view is that an aircraft offered for rental is probably going to suffer worse than most, therefore you'll end up paying more per hour weather its your mistake or someone elses.

IO540
10th Nov 2006, 15:32
The thing is that the Malibu owners must by now be the most "engine management aware" group of pilots in the known universe. They have had so many engine problems; they all know about John Deakin, as indeed should anybody who operates anything above an IO-360.

Yet, these engines still come apart before their time.

Could it be high CHTs (tight cowling)?

flyingfemme
10th Nov 2006, 15:47
That got a G-reg. What is it for an N-reg?

No type ratings for Malibus or Caravans with an N on the side. Of course the insurance company will want some training......