PDA

View Full Version : Text on some websites off centre

PPRuNe Pop
8th Nov 2006, 18:51
A little irritating, but the occasions when this happens means that it is, when the text is off the side of the space it should be in or squashed into a smaller space or even overlapping and difficult to read.

Also, sometimes a mass of blue colour precede the opening of OE.

Any ideas please?

Mac the Knife
8th Nov 2006, 19:36
It's difficult to write complex HTML pages that display well at all screen/text sizes. Most pages are optimised for 800x600 or 1024x768

When I got new monitors and changed to 1280 x 1024 (x2) I found I had to increase the size of the type on some websites in order to read 'em comfortably and that played havoc with the layout, as you describe.

Eventually after some tinkering with the OS font display sizes and Firefox settings I have managed to get to a reasonable compromise.

PPRuNe Pop
8th Nov 2006, 20:45
Thanks Mac, that makes sense.

Can you say, as I am exactly on that res, what your compromise was - if you don't mind.

PPP

BEagle
9th Nov 2006, 04:51
I found that was happening to some websites with IE7, but no problem with IE6. So I uninstalled IE7 - thank you for the waste of time, Mr Gates..:mad:

IO540
11th Nov 2006, 07:34
It's difficult to write complex HTML pages that display well at all screen/text sizes

I'd say it is just about impossible, without making the site browser specific. I've written a number of web based aviation articles and I stick to very plain HTML - always works.

The other trick, missed by most web designers, is that the widest graphic on the page determines the print width, which is why most websites don't print in IE6; the text gets cut off on the right hand side. Only Firefox (with its "scale" print option) works as one would expect. This has got to be the most stupid feature of IE.

Saab Dastard
11th Nov 2006, 11:57
IO,

Very true. Good point for all web "designers" to take on board.

SD