PDA

View Full Version : Malware, Adware

Tosh McCaber
7th Nov 2006, 06:02
How is it, that, every few days, I monitor my computer with Adaware and Spybot, and I seem to bring up the regular list of "the usual suspects", which I duly exterminate. And yet, a few days later, on repeating the operation, they're back, and must be eliminated again.

In the meantime, have they just returned right after my spring clean? How have they returned, and from where? And how much harm are they doing, compared to a virus or trojan?

vapilot2004
7th Nov 2006, 06:39
If the usual suspects are actual exes or 'run' registry entries, be worried and consider a backup an OS reload - not recommended for the uninitiated. :eek:
but easy stuff for an experienced one. :8

Otherwise, if they are only tracking cookies and MRU items, no worries - it's par for the course in a session of web surfing. :ok:

Tosh McCaber
7th Nov 2006, 06:57
But, if identified and eliminated, why do the same ones keep coming back? And from where??

Mercenary Pilot
7th Nov 2006, 07:03
Are they "tracking cookies"? Or is it something else?

BOAC
7th Nov 2006, 07:32
Check the 'hijack this' sticky. Maybe you should run it and see what the registry is hiding?

robdesbois
7th Nov 2006, 08:09
Tosh, what are the 'usual suspects' identified - if you can give us more information we can determine whether they are just potential risks (in the same way that walking across a road is a 'potential' risk), or actual baddies.

hobie
7th Nov 2006, 09:33
I seem to bring up the regular list of "the usual suspects"

post the list to allow comments ......

Tosh McCaber
7th Nov 2006, 09:50
Unfortunately, having deleted the rogue items, I don't seem to have a record of them in Adaware nor Spybot? Also I have just noticed that Spybot refers to Internet Explorer in its bad download blocker- does this also apply to Firefox?

Mercenary Pilot
7th Nov 2006, 10:40
Got to be honest Tosh, Spybot S&D isn't that good at protecting or removing Spyware/Adware. The "game" has moved on and I would recommend a more professional programme.

frostbite
7th Nov 2006, 11:42
As others have suggested, you will always pick up some tracking cookies, which some programs will identify as 'malware' or similar.

A program such as Adaware will identify them as 'insignificant' or similar phrase and that's how you should regard them.

Only way to avoid them is to stay off the internet.

Mercenary Pilot
7th Nov 2006, 11:55
Only way to avoid them is to stay off the internet.

Or you could use a decent browser that can be set to "only allow session cookies" from non-verified sites. :ok:

Globaliser
8th Nov 2006, 13:38
Unfortunately, having deleted the rogue items, I don't seem to have a record of them in Adaware nor Spybot?In AdAware, when the scan's finished, click the tab that says "Scan Log" or something like that. Then there should be a button that allows you to save the logfile. That will preserve the identities of whatever it's found so that you can post them here.

If it's just tracking cookies (which I think AdAware regards as "critical problems"), you'll continue picking them up as soon as you start browsing the Internet again. You may reduce the number if you install and use a HOSTS file (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) - that's been very good for me at keeping my "infections" down to trivial numbers of tracking cookies only.