PDA

View Full Version : Any help?

Rick Storm
6th Nov 2006, 20:42
Pal of mine runs a website, about 5-8 regulars posting each day, the other week at 2.25pm he had 35 hits!!! Freaked him out!!! Any ideas why this should happen?

RS

planecrazy.eu
6th Nov 2006, 21:16
Not sure of the reason, could be a million and one, but the internet can see a website getting thousands of hits per second down to a couple per month. I get on av 50 per day, but its shot to 400 or so on some days. I also get some times of the month when search engines visit and it gives me a few hits that way. Would love to explain it for you, but it could well be a mystry. If he has a form of stats running on the server, he can see where the hits came from and possibly see where they are from and all that info. I can get the last 300 visitors up on my stats, with all there info.

PPRuNe Towers
6th Nov 2006, 21:21
Ten years ago it took us 3 months to get our first 700 hits:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

40,000 + visitors per day now. Don't say you haven't been warned about the numbers creeping up:ooh: :E :ok:

Rob

robdesbois
6th Nov 2006, 23:12
It sounds like a search engine spidering or word of mouth. Search engines have software tools called 'robots' which 'spider' - or index - the Web every so often. The basic idea is they start off with a set of pages, and keep following links to find more pages, further and further.
Depending on how your friend's website's hit counter works, these 35 hits could have been made by a single hit to each page on his site.

If he wants additional statistics in the future he can write some scripts, or there are free ones available, to log extra details such as the 'User-Agent' which for a person browsing would be their Web browser, e.g. 'Internet Explorer' or similar. Search engine spiders will have their own, e.g. 'Googlebot' I think is Google's spider name.

That's a lot of potentially uninteresting useless information...if it is so, apologies. Time for bed :zzz:

Rick Storm
7th Nov 2006, 13:45
Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.

RS