PDA

View Full Version : Burj Al Arab Operations/Procedures(UAE)

dxbpilot
6th Nov 2006, 13:07
Hi guys ,

I was taking some photos of some choppers landing on the Burj Al Arab in dubai today. Was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any special procedure to this landing and is it inside controlled airspace. If so do you deal with Dubai approach for clearances ?

If there is a thread on this already can you please point me in the right direction.

thanks

paco
6th Nov 2006, 13:39
There is an exclusion zone of around 1.5 miles and 1500 ft around the burj anyway, and you do talk to dubai on the approach frequency. As far as I am aware, as long as you have the hotel's permission that's all you need. I've only landed there in the sim, but whoever built the hotel sure didn't ask a pilot about the helipad!

Phil

spencer17
6th Nov 2006, 15:23
Hey Paco,
did anybody ever ask a pilot or technician when designing a helicopter.
Why should they when planning a helipad.:}
All we have to do is land on it safely. That's not their problem:yuk:

Just kidding. You're right. They should sometimes ask someone.

Always happy landings (also in the sim)
Spencer17

spencer17
6th Nov 2006, 15:26
Hey Paco,
just a question.
Do they have jobs for VFR oldies down there in the Emirates.
15,800+ hours.

Always happy landings
Spencer17

flyinghorse
6th Nov 2006, 15:38
There is an exclusion zone of around 1.5 miles and 1500 ft around the burj anyway, and you do talk to dubai on the approach frequency. As far as I am aware, as long as you have the hotel's permission that's all you need. I've only landed there in the sim, but whoever built the hotel sure didn't ask a pilot about the helipad!
Phil

I recently flew from the Burj pad to the airport and as far as I understood only helidubai with their Agusta Power are allowed to land on it.

Brilliant Stuff
6th Nov 2006, 21:43
Spencer17 I believe they could be interested in you, though if my memory does not fail me you have to be younger than 50 and older than 35ish, since they look for people who have experience but also don't need to prove anything anymore plus they can be trusted to operate in safety alone. The Reason why they are not keen on people over 50 is that they want to keep them for a good number of years.It takes them a while to get used to new folk. Well that is my take anyway.

Why not write to Heli Dubai.

As for landing on the Burj can be a tad sporting with the wind being 180 degrees to the beach and the structure adding to the turbulence. So I am reliably informed.

paco
7th Nov 2006, 00:34
Spencer17 -

Aerogulf have some longlining work on at the moment, so it's worth checking them. Abu Dhabi have a hiring freeze. Dunno about HeliDubai.

There should be some piccies of the sim landing in the next edition of heli*** ;). Or at least flying down the Sheikh Zayeed road!

Phil

Degreeless
7th Nov 2006, 07:27
About 3 years ago Abu Dhabi Aviation landed a Bell 412 on the Burj Al Arab at night with 2 pax off an International flight from Dubai

Mikeb
7th Nov 2006, 15:19
Heli Dubai have said in the local papers that they are the exclusive operator for all helicopter operations involving the Burj Al Arab.

I see them landing on the pad a few times every day. Not seen anything but the Heli Dubai 109's landing there for a few years.

dxbpilot
7th Nov 2006, 18:43
Hi , thanks for all the info

i found a vid of the landing/take off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9sMWEB9Zc

great stuff

HOGE
7th Nov 2006, 18:51
Why's the helicopter taking off downwind?:confused:

paco
7th Nov 2006, 21:11
As I said, whoever designed the pad didn't ask a helicopter pilot! :(

Phil

Aser
7th Nov 2006, 22:18
By the shadow in the vid. it's a dauphin...

bwm85
8th Nov 2006, 05:21
Here in Aus the latest Emirates Airlines advertisment shows a Dauphin landing and taking off from the pad with an elderly japanese woman onboard. White and red i think the machine was????

Daifly
8th Nov 2006, 12:18
I was told that because of the design at the top the wind changed 180 degrees in the last few feet of the approach.

Might explain the wind issue?

Looks pretty "sporting" though!

dxbpilot
8th Nov 2006, 14:15
I have a few pics from the other day at the beach if anyone wants them let me know ;)

spinwing
9th Nov 2006, 04:19
Flew a 412 on to the Burj about 6 months ago... in company with a AW139 on a VIP trip ...

You must get permission from the Hotel.

You are required to shut down the aircraft on arrival to drop or pick-up passengers (this may be subject to arguement ie difficult to re-start etc??).

There were NO problems with winds on landing or take-off .... though you do need to know what your doing of course!

You do have to be in contact with Dubai Approach for clearances and traffic advisories.

I believe the Dauphin used in the Emirates ad was the Dubai Royal Flight machine.

Cheers :cool:

Brilliant Stuff
11th Nov 2006, 10:46
I believe the Dauphin used in the Emirates ad was the Dubai Royal Flight machine.
Cheers :cool:

Spinwing you are correct. And the machine in the ad was flown by a formidable pilot who can land on elevated platforms with turbulent winds with his eyes closed. Thank god he does not choose to close his eyes though.:ok:

bogey@6
12th Nov 2006, 03:17
Try Manila high rise helipads. Don't get lost which pad to land on-- they're just every few meters all over the place. I've seen two Agusta emergencies (both T/R failure) & both luckily landed on a building helipad. Local VIPs think a helicopter is a car so they crisscross from one appt to the other!