PDA

View Full Version : Dambusters in Deutschland

deltahotel
6th Nov 2006, 12:40
Sitting in my hotel room in cologne flicking throught the channels and happened upon The Dambusters dubbed into German! They got the voices about right - my German not good enough but have seen the film often enough to fill in the gaps. Dog still called N*****.

dakkg651
6th Nov 2006, 14:10
Good on em.

I bet the French have never screened Waterloo or any other of the countless number of films involving British successes.

Tin hats please gentlemen.

BEagle
6th Nov 2006, 14:49
A Luftwaffe mate of mine has '633 Sqn' as his mobile ringtone (Hi Juergen!) - I tell him it's because the Brits all get shot down in the movie!

GlosMikeP
6th Nov 2006, 18:32
They've dubbed battle of Britain in German too. Saw it a few years back while living in Holland.

Two's in
6th Nov 2006, 21:08
Always used to cringe a bit when taking the visitors on the Mohnesee pleasure cruise, when the German tour guide invariably got to the "Englisher Luftwaffe" bit, looked uncomfortably at the Dam, and accusingly at anyone with short hair and a smirk. You go Gibbo.

movadinkampa747
6th Nov 2006, 21:11
and accusingly at anyone with short hair and a smirk.

I dont know why, they started it.

vecvechookattack
6th Nov 2006, 23:29
No they didnt.......

Yes you did.....

next line please

JT Eagle
7th Nov 2006, 02:16
When in Berlin in 2004 I was surprised to see 'Hogan's Heroes' on Jerry TV. So they do have a sense of humour (or maybe not).

JT

str12
7th Nov 2006, 10:38
Have to agree JT.

I recently persuaded a visiting German colleague whose English was not great - hence the strong German accent - to march into my office and demand to see my papers, then state "They are not in order". This happened in front of stunned colleagues after I spent the day making subtle comments about the war etc. Cheers Sven!

Well I thought it was funny...:}

Zoom
7th Nov 2006, 11:10
I have just suffered the acute embarrassment of having a 40 year-old Englishman interrupt a conversation between a 21 year-old German girl (a colleague from his German parent company) and me while we were discussing local architecture. I mentioned that a particular building was built between the Wars and this t*ss*r interrupted to say to the girl, 'We beat you in those. In fact we beat you twice. Yes, it's a big joke over here, ha ha!' He kept on digging himself into the cr*p while we sat there stunned, and I couldn't think quickly enough to do anything about it.

So what with idiots like him and the jingoistic tripe spewed out by the redtops every time we have a football match, it's no wonder that so many Germans - especially the young - think that we're all total tw*ts with nothing better to occupy our minds.

Roguedent
7th Nov 2006, 21:32
Still like the old story of a pilot in the 70's I think.

Old Guy

' BA2345 - Request taxiing instructions':)

Tower

'BA2345 - Taxi via B,E,F3,etc.....blah blah':confused:

The pilot begins to taxi very slowly
Tower controller, seeing that the AC is starting to cause a delay to other responds in a firm tone

'BA2345 - Confirm you are familiar with Berlin!!':*

Old Guy

'My dear chap, the last time I visited Berlin it was at night and we didn't stop':D

pzu
7th Nov 2006, 23:39
Good on em.
I bet the French have never screened Waterloo or any other of the countless number of films involving British successes.
Tin hats please gentlemen.

A few years back, whilst working for a French oil company (was a 3 letter midget) we had Cedric from Biarritz over as a Trainee;

Sharpe's 'Waterloo' was on TV that night, obviously this was reccomended to Cedric as suitable viewing!!!

Next morning Cedric was asked his opinion of the programme, his response!!!

"I switched off whilst we were winning!!!"

One Frenchman with a sense of humour!!!

PZU - Out of Africa

The Ferret
8th Nov 2006, 01:45
No they didnt.......

Yes you did.....

next line please

...........No they didn't........they invaded Poland!

If I am not mistaken!:cool: :cool: :cool:

ORAC
8th Nov 2006, 06:20
....Well, speaking personally, IŽd annex the Sudetenland....

Rigex
8th Nov 2006, 10:54
...seem to recall a story in the press some years ago regarding a BA flight to LHR asking for start clearance at Frankfurt (?)...was refused told to stand by and expect possible delay. Seconds later, Lufthasa (also to LHR)asked for start clearance told OK.

BA capt. asks what is going on, LH capt replies "Ve haf had a towel on ze runvay since 05:00".

German with SoH.

ps. They have not had 'Allo, 'Allo on the TV tho'

Footless Halls
8th Nov 2006, 12:41
Mate of mine (English) worked for a German firm. Everyone very tackful and 'nobody mentioned the war'.

One evening he was having a long dinner in the Fatherland with a very sensitive German type. After discussing every other topic under the Sun ad nauseam, the German guy eventually gets on to this taboo subject and the conversation goes something like this:

Germany guy: "We know you English think about the war all the time, and so do we in Germany, even though you are all far too polite to discuss it with us".

My mate: "Oh no... long in the past....never crossed my mind ... bla, bla bla."

Germany guy: "But what you forget is that we too suffered in the War. Not all Germans were bad. In fact my own father died in the Death Camps".

My mate: "Oh gosh, oh dear, I'm terribly sorry... I didn't know... etc., etc."

German guy: "Well it was his own fault. Silly fool had too much schnapps and fell off his watchtower."

Also a German with a sense of humour...

Smudger552
8th Nov 2006, 13:08
During a recent NATO tour a bunch of us were having a coffee and generally chatting. Make up of the party was UK (me), German, Italian, US, Greek and Turkish and all good mates. Not sure how, but the conversation turned to who (which country) started the most wars....not surprisingly the Brits/France got a kicking due to those memorable scraps many centuries ago, however when Germany was voted as a good candidate for modern history our German colleague (a naval officer) protested that they had only started a war once in the 20th Century. After having been reminded loudly by the gathered throng that there had been a 1st WW before the 2nd the deflated Jerry solomnly proclaimed ' zat it vas sometimes difficult being a German!' Bless. Working in a multinational environ does expose one to some surreal discussions......

Smudge