PDA

View Full Version : Firework Safety

tyne
6th Nov 2006, 08:22
I was at an official fire work display at Whitley Bay - north East England last night. It was right under the flightpath to RW 25 at EGNT. Aircaft tend to come North up the coast and turn West At St Mary's Lightbouse.

Height is about 15-1700 feet or so.

Last night as the fireworks were takeing palce, a jet - 737 or 320 came up on it's normal Northerly track A very big display firework exploded close to it and it appeared to bank to it's left to avoid it.

Well that is how it looked from the ground. However heights speeds and angles can be very deceptive I know.

After that flight though I did notice other aircraft either taking a wider route - over the sea, or fly much higher.

One came over minus landing lights and strobes. All that was visible was red beacons and nav lights.

I'm just wondering what the score is? Do councils tell ATC about displays? Do flights get different routing? Any ideas why the aircraft came in with so few lights?

Lots of questions I know.

Cheers

Tyne.

luoto
6th Nov 2006, 09:22
They are normally NOTAMable over a certain height.

http://www.ela.org.uk/caa-r3.htm was a quick google (easier than wadng through CAA site.. especially when in bed with cold)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Nov 2006, 09:30
Average firework displays cause few problems... there are large numbers on the approaches to Heathrow every year and some raise comments from crews. Hence a true story about a flight approaching Heathrow along the Thames one 5th November:

Lufthansa: "We see lots of fireworks; what is the reason please"
Heathrow: "It's a traditional thing in the UK when we celebrate attempts by Guy Fawkes to blow up the Houses of Parliament"
Lufthansa: "Hmmmm.. we see he was not too successful"

CHIVILCOY
6th Nov 2006, 11:31
A young scallywag was taken to court and found guilty last year for aiming fireworks on short finals at EDI.
The court had heard how air traffic controllers noticed the rockets exploding from about 7.30pm for several hours until police detained the man. The controllers started to warn crews of the hazard and one pilot reported back: "If the last firework had happened a second later we would have been very close to it."
Prosecutor ........... said that the rockets, which were of the highest category which could be legally sold to the public, could have harmed the landing gear or wiring of the planes or disturbed the pilots at a difficult time of the flight.
Malcolm Robertson, spokesman for airport operators BAA, said: "Clearly we regard any behaviour of the kind which places aircraft and communities at danger as grossly irresponsible."

adz555666
6th Nov 2006, 20:44
Hello!

I was thinking the same whilst at this years Download Rock Festival at Castle Donnington. The position of the main stage was directly beneath the flight path, and when Metallica were playing they used a lot of pyro's.

Coudn't help but think, what would have happened if a plane was going over the stage as they started the intro to "One" (Fans of Metallica would know what I'm on about!!)

Best Wishes

Adam

Regular Cappuccino
6th Nov 2006, 23:15
Because of its proximity to the runway, displays at Donington park are very tightly regulated and co-ordinated with ATC to avoid any problems. We get a grandstand view from the tower though! :ok:
RC

adz555666
8th Nov 2006, 11:44
Regular,

So does ATC get told of approx what time the pyro's are going off so you guys can hold off any arriving or departing A/C?

What would happen then if the show is running late?
Do the organisers get fined for delaying A/C?

Best Wishes

Adam

Saturday afternoon, Kallita 747, very low arrival, straight over the main stage, everybody ignores the band onstage and looks to the skys, brilliant!!

Regular Cappuccino
9th Nov 2006, 21:36
Regular,

So does ATC get told of approx what time the pyro's are going off so you guys can hold off any arriving or departing A/C?

What would happen then if the show is running late?
Do the organisers get fined for delaying A/C?

It's all planned ahead of time, and slots are planned to integrate with gaps in the traffic. ATC's explicit permission is required, both in principle and immediately prior to firing & ATC have absolute authority to delay or halt the firing if traffic is imminent or in emergency.
Mind you, at midnight on New Year's Eve, the sky all around the airport erupts with pyrotechnics - great show! ;)
RC

almost professional
9th Nov 2006, 21:55
when did you last work new years eve!

Regular Cappuccino
9th Nov 2006, 22:09
I knew that would elicit a response!
But I have it on very good authority from those who have done, more recently than I however, especially at Millenium New Year.
I did my bit while watch-keeping though, both Christmas & New Year.
(And I worked one of your night duties recently to help out while you were sunning yourself in warmer climes....:E )
Like the brass plaque says.......
RC

smokey2
9th Nov 2006, 22:33
Went to Canberra airport the othe night to look at the Antanov AN-124. Drove up toward the old Fairbairn air base gates and turned 200m up a dirt track at a construction site. Surprised to find myself almost airside with no bollards, fences or signage to restrict me from ending up airside. Maybe there is a moat constructed further along to restrict movement. Appears very poor security seeing this is where Little johnny the PM parks his transport. I was not the only one there as others were doing the same.

Regular Cappuccino
10th Nov 2006, 07:20
Fireworks? What Fireworks......?