PDA

View Full Version : Solentflight - Lee on Solent

Dave Gittins
6th Nov 2006, 08:11
I normally fly from Fairoaks but spend a lot of weekends in Gosport and when I came across an organisation on the internet called Solentflight, operating from Lee on Solent, they seemed well suited for me to maybe hire their aeroplanes.

Have had a couple of telephone conversations with them and agreed I'd make contact at the start of November. As I couldn't contact them by phone last week (answering machine) and my email was not answered, I visited Lee on S airfield on Saturday morning (as they had invited me to do a few weeks ago before their apparently temporary displacement to another airfield as a result of unexploded ordnance at L on S).

The security guard on the gate wouldn't let me on the airfield and told me that the organisation was not working at present and their offices were locked up.

Can anybody throw any light on this and let me know if I can expect them back in business in the near future.

Sky Wave
8th Nov 2006, 05:04
Very strange. All of the unexploded bombs have been removed and Lee-On-Solent has been back to normal for the past couple of weeks as far as I know.

I'm not sure which other airfield they would be operating from. Their aircraft were maintained at Bournemouth however I have not seen or heard them at Bournemouth whenever I've been flying there (not often I admit.)

Has anyone else heard the "Saints" callsign recently whilst flying around Hampshire or Dorset?

SW

foxmoth
8th Nov 2006, 08:24
Their web site is still up & running so not sure WIHIH:confused:

Dave Gittins
8th Nov 2006, 13:00
I understood that they were temporarily somewhere north of Fareham in the region of Bishop's Waltham, from a conversation I had with them about a month ago. The web site is indeed still running but seems a little out of date as some parts of it still refer to being based at Southampton. It also had reference to a fireworks night fly out ... which I am sure did not happen.

I just hope they re-appear soon as I am trying to avoid being the source of unfounded rumour just looking for info re somewhere to fly.

jdaley
8th Nov 2006, 14:16
I understood that they were temporarily somewhere north of Fareham in the region of Bishop's Waltham,

Whilst the pipe bombs were being removed they were operating out of Bembridge IOW - ferrying to and from Lower Upham - I flew with them on 12/10 when amusingly? Bembridge ran out of avgas (primarily because of Solent Flight activity)

At that time they expected to be back at lee from 23rdish.

lee is a superb location to fly out of and solent appeared to be very busy - I'm back in the south next week and hope to fly with them again!

Dave Gittins
8th Nov 2006, 16:24
Well they were nowhere to be seen last weekend, according to security at Lee on S. haven't been seen for some time but I sincerely hope they are back soon too.

:ok:

TCAS FAN
8th Nov 2006, 18:19
Seen last weekend at a private strip, Lower Upham, about 3 miles east of Southampton Airport. As with Lee its unlicensed, but with only a 600 metre grass runway, so not much training going on there. Still seem to be commuting to Bembridge for training.

Nipper2
8th Nov 2006, 20:50
I have a mobile number for them which I know works. PM me if you need it.

Dave Gittins
9th Nov 2006, 11:50
TA for the PM .. have replied

The green baron
10th Nov 2006, 18:03
Ive just joined Slolent Flight and they are currently operating from Lower Upham just outside Eastleigh in Southampton. Solent are normally based at Lee on Solent but due to essential work (removing pipe bombs!!!) they relocated temporarily to Lower Upham.
Andrew Temple, the owner, has been braking his back to try and keep all the regulars and new customers happy and ensure that training goes on as normal. This has resulted in Andy providing ferry flights to Bembridge so the lessons can commence.
I dont know all the ins and outs but Andrew has been waiting to get back to Lee for some time.
My advice is keep trying to get a hold of Andy if you want a lesson or continue your PPL. The FI's are great, the take off from Lower Upham is quite exciting and the school is really welcoming. I got a 45 minute post flight breifing from one FI which was really helpfull.
Good luck.
TGB:}

Sky Wave
11th Nov 2006, 22:54
TBG

Glad to hear they are still operating. Andy and his team run a superb school and I have nothing but good things to say about them. It was such a shame that Southampton airport couldn't manage to accommodate their 4 to 5 aircraft. It's also a shame that no sooner they settled in at Lee-on-Solent. they had to move away whilst some bombs got destroyed. Still I guess they’ll soon be back at Lee and everyone will be able to enjoy flying from Lee again.

SW

Cabin doors 2 manual
14th Nov 2006, 13:48
The other flight school there, Carill Aviation, has been operating out of Lee normally for weeks now. The ban on Solent Flight affects them only.

What I have heard today is Solent Flight may be allowed back in next week, but with limited numbers of aircraft and restricted movements.

I heard rumours of why Solent Flight haven't been allowed back from many sources and it has nothing to do with restrictions on aircraft movements or total numbers of aircraft.

Sky Wave
14th Nov 2006, 16:55
Cabin doors 2 manual

What a tease. Since this is a rumour network perhaps you could spill the beans.

SW

fradu
14th Nov 2006, 20:48
I live about five minutes drive from Lower Upham, and thought I saw some familiar aeroplanes on the grass as I drove past the other day.
Isn't there another strip somewhere in the area?

Nipper2
15th Nov 2006, 17:20
There are several other strips in the local area, one of them very close.

In the nicest possible way, please can you all stay away unless you really need to come to this part of the world. We have operated without a single complaint for over 20 years until Lower Upham got busy during the Lee-on-Solent horlicks. Sadly, the last few months have not been so happy for us.

It's a harsh truth, but our worst enemies seem to be other pilots!

Thanks

stickandrudderman
15th Nov 2006, 20:42
In the nicest possible way, please can you all stay away unless you really need to come to this part of the world. We have operated without a single complaint for over 20 years until Lower Upham got busy during the Lee-on-Solent horlicks. Sadly, the last few months have not been so happy for us.

Nipper, please clarify. Do you want us to stay away from Lower Upham?:ooh:

Cabin doors 2 manual
16th Nov 2006, 09:08
Hmmm...those complaints seem to follow that fleet of red and white aircraft where ever they go! :E

BEXIL160
16th Nov 2006, 15:29
those complaints seem to follow that fleet of red and white aircraft where ever they go!

and could this possibly be why they're not being allowed back at Lee? I wonder.......

Sky Wave
16th Nov 2006, 16:07
Cabin doors 2 manual

I've always found Solent Flight a very professional outfit. If something has happened that other people should know about then tell us and let everyone make up their own minds. Don't insinuate that there have been incidents or complaints if you can't substantiate them.

SW

BEXIL160
16th Nov 2006, 16:16
Perhaps not everyone has found Solent flight quite so "Professional".

Ask yourself why most other operators have been allowed back at Lee,. but not Solent Flight.

jammydonut
16th Nov 2006, 16:33
Carill don't exactly have a distinguished history

Sky Wave
16th Nov 2006, 17:17
I don't know that they haven't been allowed back. Do you? Who is stopping them returning? Is it temporary? Why?

Do they take off on taxiways, fly low level past the Coastguard helicopter, do aerobatics in the overhead?? Tell us what the problem is. From the information given we have no idea of what you are accusing them of. As for Carill, whenever I've been to Lee the place looks deserted and Carill aviation aircraft have their covers on.

BEXIL160
16th Nov 2006, 17:31
I am accusing no-body.

I am speculating as to why other owners and operators ARE back at Lee. Solent aren't.. Curious is it not?

those complaints seem to follow that fleet of red and white aircraft where ever they go! Not MY words, but I too have heard similar Rumours (this is, after all, a Rumour network).

Maybe the two ARE connected, maybe not.

BEX

eghi r20
16th Nov 2006, 18:37
The bashing GA is getting may result in the fullness of time that only airfields where the schools own and operate will survive, like goodwood etc. B'mth may opt out and Lee shut !

GA should be local, not a 60 mile drive etc.

lets stick together and ALL keep on flying.

all PA28's make the same noise whatever their colour.........

Cabin doors 2 manual
17th Nov 2006, 13:45
all PA28's make the same noise whatever their colour.........

Yes, but then some of them backtrack when not allowed and also crash in to the new fences!

Sky Wave
17th Nov 2006, 15:26
At last, we are getting some information.

Yes, but then some of them backtrack when not allowed and also crash in to the new fences!

Was this at Lee on Solent? I have to say having taxied next to that fence it was bound to happen. I suspect the only reason it hadn't happened previously was because they didn't have the amount of new PPL's using the taxyway. Are they allowed to send students solo from Lee on Solent? If they are then that increases the risk even more.

As far as backtracking goes most Solent Flight pilots renting aircraft would have done 95% of their flying from Southampton where ATC will tell them exactly what to do. They would have more than likely flown to airfields with at least an Air to Ground Radio operator who would also help out. Changing from that to an uncontrolled airfield where you self announce is a bit of a culture shock. Mistakes like these will happen with inexperienced pilots but the problems will reduce as people become more familiar with the procedures and as a new bread of pilots, trained solely at Lee-on-Solent start to rent Solent’s aircraft.

Just my opinion

SW

TCAS FAN
17th Nov 2006, 16:07
There appears to be an increasingly heard rumour that Solent Flight are moving out of Upham, could this be following one of their aircraft landing there last Saturday after sunset?

eyeinthesky
17th Nov 2006, 20:05
Are they allowed to send students solo from Lee on Solent?
UNQUOTE

As the airfield is unlicensed, that would not be legal.

What a stupid place to build a fence: right next to a taxiway used by 'vehicles' with wings either side.:rolleyes:

It was always interesting to taxy the twin along there whilst trying to keep on the centreline of the taxiway AND keep the wingtip out of the fence!:hmm:

CaptAirProx
17th Nov 2006, 22:09
TCAS it is certainly fact that the aircraft you mention had nothing to do with Solent Flight. It was a private aircraft there.

As to speculation regarding Lee On Solent - it is all speculation until all the necessary pieces are put into place. One must remember that Solent Flight were the last operators that moved into Lee and amoungst many other issues surrounding this situation, the phrase "last in - first out" has as much to do with it.

BEXIL160
17th Nov 2006, 23:53
Solent Flight were the last operators that moved into Lee and amoungst many other issues surrounding this situation, the phrase "last in - first out" has as much to do with it.

I wonder what the other issues were? Non compliance with the HPASU airfield manual perhaps?

???????

CaptAirProx
18th Nov 2006, 09:34
Nope, afraid not.

Sky Wave
18th Nov 2006, 09:51
Locals complaining about noise levels?

If Solent had as many people fly with them at Lee as they did in Southampton that would certainly represent a significant increase in air traffic in the area.

It would be nice if someone in the know could shed some more light on the situation since the speculation could be doing Solent Flight a great injustice.

SW

BEXIL160
18th Nov 2006, 10:46
CaptAirProx,

You seem to be very close to this. WIHIH then?

BEX

TCAS FAN
18th Nov 2006, 13:05
CaptAirProx

With a callsign "Saints 44", sounded like one of Solent Flight's!

Pilot Billy
18th Nov 2006, 17:43
CaptAirProx

With a callsign "Saints 44", sounded like one of Solent Flight's!

Think you must be mistaken, was there actually at the field that day, Saints 44 landed well before sunset. There's lots of other whittnesses too. It was a private owner some time after that appears to be the cause of concern.

Andy, the owner, is being very upfront with everyone, explaining exactly what is going on, the reasons behind the problems and what the future is likely to have in store...... All you have to do is go down and ask. He's explained it to me and everyone else thats supporting Solent Flight. Yes, things arn't ideal at the moment but not thru any lack of effort from Andy and the Instructors who are busting a gut to keep everyone flying.

TCAS FAN
18th Nov 2006, 18:17
Sorry chaps, got the wrong day, it was the 12 th November, ie Sunday, local sunset in Southampton was about 1620, "Saints 22" seen landing around 1635on a return flight from Bembridge - well after sunset.

Pilot Billy
18th Nov 2006, 18:29
Now its Saints 22?

You sure you're not just making this up? :cool:

TCAS FAN
18th Nov 2006, 18:48
It's been a long day, was Saints 44, was Sunday 12 th, was after sunset. Lower Upham is a great place to fly into, don't want people taking the p**s by flouting the operating rules. There aren't many places that GA can get into for a reasonable price on the south coast. Upham has against all the odds managed to keep flying, they deserve support, not abuse.

BEXIL160
18th Nov 2006, 18:54
Billy says :Andy, the owner, is being very upfront with everyone, explaining exactly what is going on, the reasons behind the problems and what the future is likely to have in store...... He's explained it to me

Okay, so will you please explain it to us, just to set the record straight and quash the "rumours"?

Thanks

BEX

CaptAirProx
18th Nov 2006, 20:52
TCAS - and any others.

Any movements made or proposed to be made at Lower Upham are made with prior consent with the airfield owner....End of.

If you have issue, please take it up with the owner.

TCAS FAN
19th Nov 2006, 08:17
CaptAirProx

The "out of hours" operation isn't a rumour, it happened.

If you have flown from Upham, if my memory is correct, there is an Airfield OPS Manual, published by the owner. I believe that there is an indication therein which indicates that flying must not take place before 8.00AM or after sunset. This is apparently a condition of the planning consent for the site. If idiots are permitted to abuse this, what next a thread "Save Lower Upham?"

Its a great place place to fly from, one of a dying breed on the south coast.

I sincerely doubt that out of hours flying is taking place with the knowledge of the owner.

CaptAirProx
19th Nov 2006, 09:38
Yes my point entirely.

By shouting it out on here do you really think this is going to help the "save Lower Upham Campaign"?

If you are not happy - don't shout it to the locals from here but go and speak to the owner in private and discuss your fears.

At the moment mud slinging is the last thing anyone would wish for.

ee61re
19th Nov 2006, 13:23
In an attempt to get the thread back towards the original topic....

I have a trial flight voucher to use at Solentflight, and having done some research on them, I intend to use them to get a PPL.

I have tried calling their office number a few times today to book a flight, but it just rings for ages then goes to voicemail.

Is the expectation still that they will be back on site from tomorrow (Monday 20th) or what?

Does anyone know what their normal opening hours are during the winter months? Their website is a jumble of current and not so current information!

Rob

The green baron
19th Nov 2006, 19:56
The website will be getting updated as soon as Solent have a better of understanding of where they will be operating from on a more permanant basis. They wont be back at Solent tomorrow (20th Nov) but might be back soon (we hope).
Okay, I will try and make clear my understanding of things to date. Firstly, Solent Flight are currently opertating out of Lower Upham and in ordered to meet PPL requirements are providing ferry flights for students to Bembridge for the lesson to commence.
The reasons that Solent are struggling to get back to Lee is down to, in my opinion, small minded individuals who should concentrate on building their own buisness as opposed to trying to destroy Andy's. I use the word 'trying' deliberatly as it would be understandable for Andy to toss in the towel but hes working 24/7 to keep us all in the air and enjoying our time.
I dont know much about the "flouting rules" with regard to the operating times but im sure that it would have been a simple mistake and no more, if it was as bad as some on here make it out to be.
Anyway, Happy flying folks. Andy and the club treat new members well and as ive said before, the FI's are superb, the atmosphere is great and the training is well planned.

ee61re
19th Nov 2006, 20:11
Thanks for the update green baron.

Bearing all that in mind, what is the best method of me contacting Solentflight to arrange my lesson, taking into account that their office is unmanned until further notice, and emails seem to go unanswered?

Add to that the fact that the trial lesson voucher is time limited (expires on Boxing day actually), means that potentially I may be unable to use the voucher, bought by my wife as a wedding gift.

Rob

Sky Wave
19th Nov 2006, 21:59
Try the Solent Flight Mobile:07916 163417

SW

Cabin doors 2 manual
20th Nov 2006, 12:40
My contacts this weekend now say there are loads of complaints at Lower Upham now although this may be increase in noise.

The arguement of saying Solent Flight may have made a mistake by back tracking a few times and not really understanding the rules, what does that show the students? Don't bother reading the airfield rules as some other stranger will hilight the mistakes we make? Not so good if the mistake is busting Heathrow airspace (I'm not saying Solent have done that, just an example).

Dave Gittins
20th Nov 2006, 13:18
Have finally made contact with Solentflight who are even more peeved at not being able to pursue their legit business at Lee on Solent than I was by not being able to locate them. They are hoping to be back at Lee in the near future on a sound and permanent basis and I joint in their desire that it happens quickly.

As is often the case on PPRuNe, my original simple enquiry has spawned some interesting and divergent views, ah the richness of the span of aspirations and intentions one sees across these forums :D .

Thanks for all the help and the contact details and for the time being at least .. from my point of view .. it's subject closed.

DGG
:ok:

Cabin doors 2 manual
20th Nov 2006, 14:44
Ahem....did you get either of the following pieces of information when you made contact:

1) Why are they not allowed back in when Carill and gliding club are? There must be an official reason whether its overcrowding, noise complaints or rule breaking etc.

2) An exact date of when they expect to be back.

TCAS FAN
20th Nov 2006, 15:51
Dave Gittins

Thanks for starting the thread, have a nice day - we now have control!

Another one for the pot - microlight flying from Upham with a "Saints" callsign? Is this where it is going, microlight training = unlicensed training opportunity=Solent Flight to see out their twilight years at Upham? Wish them luck with Southampton ATC agreeing to that in their own backyard.

Hopefully they will not be permitted to again p**s off Southampton ATC who go out of their way to accomodate the responsible flyers at Upham, Roughay, Longwood and Uncle Ron at Durley. A mate of mine witnessed the day when a Solent instructor, in a PA 28, beat up the tower at Southampton, instantly removing them from the tower Christmas card list!

Doors in automatic - looking forward to going manual!

Bandit650
20th Nov 2006, 16:45
I did a lot of hours with SolentFlight in 2000 (IMC + hire) and from my perspective they were absolutely brilliant. Can't help but annoyed at, what appears to be, nothing more than malicious gossip.

S-Works
20th Nov 2006, 17:20
Wow you really do have it in for them........

The green baron
20th Nov 2006, 19:04
Dave Gittins

Thanks for starting the thread, have a nice day - we now have control!

Another one for the pot - microlight flying from Upham with a "Saints" callsign? Is this where it is going, microlight training = unlicensed training opportunity=Solent Flight to see out their twilight years at Upham? Wish them luck with Southampton ATC agreeing to that in their own backyard.

Hopefully they will not be permitted to again p**s off Southampton ATC who go out of their way to accomodate the responsible flyers at Upham, Roughay, Longwood and Uncle Ron at Durley. A mate of mine witnessed the day when a Solent instructor, in a PA 28, beat up the tower at Southampton, instantly removing them from the tower Christmas card list!

Doors in automatic - looking forward to going manual!

The pot? Would that be a microlight that Solent was looking to purchase, phoned their PPL's who came in to get checked out on it. A phone call to Andy would have removed that one from the pot...do you know the people at Solent?
Which Solent FI caused the problem at So'ton ATC? Id love to know. And they got removed from the Christmas card list...this is like an episode of a bad Australlian soap. How do you get "permitted" to p*** off an ATC? Whats the R/T call for that "Southampton ATC, Saints XX, currently at Lower Upham, requesting permission to p*** you off?" Im only just getting into R/T so ive probally got that wrong!
Keep us updated TCAS...
Oh, where are you flying from? What club are you with? Just so we all understand the motivating factors here.

foxmoth
20th Nov 2006, 19:29
Oh, where are you flying from? What club are you with? Just so we all understand the motivating factors here.

Especially as he is saying
we now have control!
Made me think he was Solent Flyers management until I read what followed!:=

RonAir
20th Nov 2006, 19:38
Crikey people, surely you must have better things to do than just slag off other operations. Luckily, those that are close to the SF operation at LU, know exactly what is going on and can but laugh and gaffaw at the ludicrous speculation.

Both the Owners of the respective organisations are extremely able and responsible businessmen, any hiccups have been outside of their control, but rest assured the ship is being further tightened as we speak.

For those supporters of SF, get on down to LU and give the Boss your support. For those that take a perverse satisfaction in trying to wreck other peoples enjoyment, take a good look at yourself and ask why you are not part of a team trying to keep GA active and affordable.

Rant over

The green baron
20th Nov 2006, 19:56
For those supporters of SF, get on down to LU and give the Boss your support. For those that take a perverse satisfaction in trying to wreck other peoples enjoyment, take a good look at yourself and ask why you are not part of a team trying to keep GA active and affordable.

Could'nt agree more RonAir. Well said.

Sky Wave
20th Nov 2006, 22:35
Unbelievable. It seems some people really have an axe to grind.

Since gaining my PPL with Solent Flight in 2003 I have had cause to check out with a few different flying clubs when working away from home. None of the clubs that I have flown with have ever measured up to Solent Flight in terms of professionalism, friendliness, instruction and quality of aircraft.

It's very easy for people to mouth off on pprune because perhaps someone backtracked when they shouldn't have done, perhaps an instructor showed a lack of judgment and landed after sunset, maybe one of their aircraft did clip the fence at Lee. I'm sure most of us have made mistakes or errors of judgment when we're flying and anyone who thinks they don't are extremely arrogant and will get a shock one day when they discover they are human too.

I guess if the rumours are true and the incidents did occur it's just unfortunate that 3 people flying with Solent made their mistakes in the same month giving ammunition to anyone who has a personal agenda against Solent. I don't believe for one minute any of this has anything to do with them returning to Lee on Solent.

For anyone considering flying with Solent, go and visit them, speak to people who have trained with them and don’t be put off my the small minded individuals trying to ruin Solent Flights great reputation.

SW

Cabin doors 2 manual
21st Nov 2006, 09:31
Rumours and gossip to one side.... Does anyone know why they are not allowed back in? What is the official reason?

Saying SF are very professional etc etc is fine but they must have been told themselves why they are not allowed in. Come on SF supporters tell us the official reason.

As I've said, the facts are Carill and gliders are back and SF is not, why is that?

RonAir
21st Nov 2006, 10:52
I am lead to believe that the return to LoS of all GA was accompanied by a severe limitation on a/c movements imposed by the police on all parties. Once they had been doled out on a 'longest in/most movements allocated' basis, SF, last in, were left with barely enough to run 1 a/c, let alone a school & rental a/c.

Cabin doors 2 manual
21st Nov 2006, 11:45
But even if they only had a one aircraft limit they would be back wouldn't they?

I have heard (rumour) that SF may be allowed back with movement restrictions but these were not applied to Carill at all.

super salesman
21st Nov 2006, 12:02
I passed my ppl with solentflight in march 05,and my imc in oct 06 and have flown with them at southampton, lee and now lower upham. I find them all to be very professional and friendly, i look at andy as a friend as well as owning solentflight. I am shocked that some people have nothing better to do than to try and character assasinate both him and the school, nothing is too much trouble for him.
This year has been a hard year for him and karen and its times like this that we should all rally round and show our support for what must be the best flying school on the south coast. I would like to tell the narrow minded idiots to shut up and let an honest hard working man run his business.

S-Works
21st Nov 2006, 12:26
who cares, you are **** stirring. If you have something to say about them come out and say it. put up or shut up.

Cabin doors 2 manual
21st Nov 2006, 14:53
who cares, you are **** stirring. If you have something to say about them come out and say it. put up or shut up.

Well Andy and SF students care! Also any other person in GA should care as this could happen to them too.

Comments such as 'we should all stick together and support them' are pointless as no matter what the views on this forum are, it will make no difference to SF return to Lee, that decision is with the police at Lee.

I'm amazed at the people here accepting that things 'just happen for no reason' and that if we stick together it will be OK. It's our duty as pilots to find out why GA is getting a hard time and when things like this happen, ask why and how can we avoid it in future, not just shout '**** stirrer'. Arrogant comments like that are the main reason GA is having a hard time, everyone else is to blame apart from ourselves.

Fuji Abound
21st Nov 2006, 15:04
I have only taken a fleeting interest in this thread and I cant say I have totally worked out who is who and who might have an axe to grind.

However, I think what is potentially far more damaging and seen occasionally in the past on other threads, is dealing with an issue by innuendo.

Put simply if you have an issue or know about some concerns that may have been expressed tell everyone what they are and let the other party have an opportunity to defend themselves. If you cant do that dont bother.

.. .. .. and so I may have got the wrong end of the stick but if some beleive there is a good reason why this school has not be allowed back, for goodness sake say what it is or else it all gets completely tedious.

Also do not forget there is no such thing as bad publicity so at the moment all this school is getting is plently of good advertising :) .

RAPA Pilot
23rd Nov 2006, 15:19
I have been following this thread for a while now and feel it is time to add my two pence worth. I have absolutely no real idea why SFL are not back in LoS. But I imagine it has something to do with other operators upset and maybe a little jealous as to how well Solent is doing. They have always done well because Andy and Karen have always put there heart into it and the instructors are dedicated professionals who work long hours for low pay. It’s a hard job requiring piloting skills, people skills, and many other skills too. Mistakes happen. They happen in the heady world of commercial aviation all the time as well. These mistakes are made by Pilots and Air Traffic Controllers and everyone else. Never believe anyone who says they haven't. I know this because it is I who "beat up the Tower at EGHI" but you will have to read my response to the MOR to know the full facts and this is not the place. And I have seen some real howlers made by Southampton Tower controllers and many others the world over, accept it because we are all human. If indeed a Saints did land after hours at LU (and has that actually been proven) then it was probably a mistake. They happen, so you would hardly call it an after hours operation.
I think there are a few jealous people around fearful that LU might get shut down because SFL are using it. Why the hell don't you all get together and discuss your concerns and iron out what’s troubling you. As for LoS, why don’t some of the loyal Solent flight customers get together and apply some pressure to the police and find out what’s going on.

And as for some of you on this thread, stop insinuating things on this thread. If you have something to say, an opinion based on fact or some actual facts then be up standing, stick your neck out and say it like it is and stop hiding behind your username.

I learned to fly at Solent Flight long before Andy had it, I worked as an Instructor for a few years working along side Andy and Karen to help make the school a success. I have since moved on to bigger things but one thing I can absolutely guarantee is that you will not find a better flying school any where on the south coast if for nothing else than for the enthusiasm shown by everyone evolved in the club, weather that be the Boss the instructors or the legions of good and loyal members.
My very best wishes and good luck to Andy and Karen and all the current instructors there.
Brooksie.

jammydonut
23rd Nov 2006, 15:38
I am curious as to why the Police have anything whatsoever to do with running the airfield ?

ee61re
24th Nov 2006, 09:28
I am curious as to why the Police have anything whatsoever to do with running the airfield ?

Hampshire Police Air Support Unit have an aircraft (Islander?) based at LoS.

Rob

Sky Wave
24th Nov 2006, 15:00
RAPA Pilot

Please check your PM's

SW

ee61re
27th Nov 2006, 12:27
I see their website is in the process of having a makeover, and the new news page explains the status quo.

http://www.solentflight.com

Looking good.

However, their voicemail system is evidently full up, and it won't allow me to leave a message.

Basil Smallpiece
28th Nov 2006, 19:28
He (or she?) rammed the fence at very high speed.

Not a good advert for SF instruction or supervision and probably a contributory factor in their continued absence from EGHF...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e143/scalesoarer/DSC02706.jpg

The green baron
28th Nov 2006, 20:03
Thats pathetic smallpiece. I cant believe you posted an image of a damaged wing that probally cost the confidence of a student pilot not to mention SF alot of money to repair. Its people like you who ruin GA.
Get a life!!!!.

Doctor Mopp
29th Nov 2006, 02:05
What a pity that there exists a tiny minority of people who feel compelled to post detrimental and uncomplimentary comments and photographs with respect to Solent Flight. I can only imagine that those individuals who are resorting to such desperate measures are ever-so-slightly envious of Solent's success and excellent reputation.
In the time I have been with them, I have found Solent Flight to be a very friendly and welcoming flight school. They manage to strike exactly the right balance between professionalism and enjoyment of flying. For anybody who might be interested, I suggest you pay them a visit. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
The website is currently undergoing maintenance, but should be up and running properly in the very near future.
I would like to wish everybody at Solent Flight all the very best and keep up the good work! You have my full support.

Cabin doors 2 manual
29th Nov 2006, 09:31
Thats pathetic smallpiece. I cant believe you posted an image of a damaged wing that probally cost the confidence of a student pilot not to mention SF alot of money to repair. Its people like you who ruin GA.
Get a life!!!!.

Actually it would still cost SF money whether or not this photo was published. The pilot who did this was actually a PPL (ex) hirer and his confidence was probably shattered when he was asked to leave and quite rightly so. There is a grass taxiway which avoids the area of the narrow gate where this incident happen. Perhaps if clear instructions/proper checkouts were performed by the school as to where it is safe to taxi this wouldn't happen.

Smallpiece is not the sort of person who ruins GA, it's the other people who refuse to acknowledge problems within GA and do something about them, just saying a flight school has your support does not change past events or excuse incident/accidents.

jdaley
29th Nov 2006, 11:26
Perhaps if clear instructions/proper checkouts were performed by the school as to where it is safe to taxi this wouldn't happen.

sheesh - As a ppl who has hired from SF in the past and will do so again, my checkout there certainly briefed on the grass taxiway and the avoidance of the gate - & this was only a week or two prior to this specific incident.

Your message implies that such a briefing doesn't happen - is that with no evidence? IMHO the professionalism of the team is at least as good as any of the seven schools I've dealt with.

There are actually two similar fences & gates at Lee - one on the taxiway from SF, prior to the 23 runway and one on the taxiway about 2/3 of the way back from the 05 end - both are built in the same way and finished in the same shade of blue. Its just that the 05 gate is too narrow for a pa28 (by a metre or so) and a non-parallell grass taxiway needs to be used - plus the taxiway centrelines aren't so you do have to be awake even on the wider gate. :)

The fences appear somewhat substantial and given it would be the gate post that was hit - I'd be surprised if it even had a paint scratch from a pa28 wing - let alone cause any disruption.

Cabin doors 2 manual
29th Nov 2006, 13:00
My point exactly, the grass taxiway should have been used to avoid the small gate. Also, taxiing any aircraft in tight areas should be as slow as possible, the damge shown on the photo shows some considerable speed at the moment of impact.

The green baron
29th Nov 2006, 19:52
Actually it would still cost SF money whether or not this photo was published. The pilot who did this was actually a PPL (ex) hirer and his confidence was probably shattered when he was asked to leave and quite rightly so. There is a grass taxiway which avoids the area of the narrow gate where this incident happen. Perhaps if clear instructions/proper checkouts were performed by the school as to where it is safe to taxi this wouldn't happen.

Smallpiece is not the sort of person who ruins GA, it's the other people who refuse to acknowledge problems within GA and do something about them, just saying a flight school has your support does not change past events or excuse incident/accidents.

I wasnt suggesting that the published photo cost SF anything! Who was trying to excuse anything either? I just think its pathetic to publish a photo of an incident that had already been well established earlier in the thread.
This thread is getting very boring with the same moronic minority trying to stain a good FS with some very dodgy arguments i might add. It really is people like smallpiece that ruin GA for alot of people Cabin doors. Constantly whinging and brining up past mistakes that im sure have already been analysed in greater depth by the authorities just to score points is poor show, no argument.

ee61re
30th Nov 2006, 09:11
None of this cheery banter changes the fact that I am still unable to contact or leave a message for Solentflight on their office number, and they are still not responding to emails.

I have heard many good things about them, and I want to spend money with them in order to learn to fly.

Not withstanding the current issues, what does their booking list look like, on average? I would generally look to fly at weekends, and possibly during the week as well (I'm an IT contractor - Boo! Hiss! - So in theory I can take a day off if I feel like it!)

swhitt
30th Nov 2006, 16:17
For all the doubting Thomas's out there, I visited Solent Flight at Lower Upham today to discuss booking a PPl package. The telephone didn't stop ringing for most of the time I was there so rest assured you will get through eventually.
First impressions:- Very professional outfit, friendly, patient and happy to talk about anything (including the issues surrounding LOS joint site ownership).
My son, a military pilot, introduced me to this flight school with nothing but praise.
Now I have met the people involved I couldn,t agree with him more.

Living close to LOS airfield I am surprised that only the fence incident involving SF has been discussed and not the other 5 that have occurred with other operators.

Green Spitfire
30th Nov 2006, 16:45
For all the doubting Thomas's out there, I visited Solent Flight at Lower Upham today to discuss booking a PPl package. The telephone didn't stop ringing for most of the time I was there so rest assured you will get through eventually.
First impressions:- Very professional outfit, friendly, patient and happy to talk about anything (including the issues surrounding LOS joint site ownership).
My son, a military pilot, introduced me to this flight school with nothing but praise.
Now I have met the people involved I couldn,t agree with him more.

Living close to LOS airfield I am surprised that only the fence incident involving SF has been discussed and not the other 5 that have occurred with other operators.
:D I am really pleased that you are considering a PPL course with Solent Flight, everything you have mentioned about their professionalism and friendliness, is what I have encountered since becoming a student pilot with them. As you say, it is amazing how only Solent Flight's misfortunes with gates have been mentioned on this thread as there have definitely been others - you only have to read the local newspapers to find that out!

The green baron
30th Nov 2006, 19:38
Well said gents.
:D

eghi r20
1st Dec 2006, 08:11
As far as I am aware all operators including Both schools were initially told to go through the gates until such a time that they were finally locked and airfield opps would be fully revised to include backtracks etc. Having taxied through ALL of the gates, yes it is VERY tight. Although a taxing accident in almost un-forgivable it was always going to happen with such a tight gap.

Both of the schools from Lee are very good at what they do, they just have a different feel to them. It is the choice of the individual as to which you prefer. Talk to them both and make up your own mind. Let’s not join the us and them brigade and fling mud around. Reading these posts it is clear who has issues with Solent Flight, it sounds a bit like sour grapes to me.

Having worked at both flying schools from Lee I can say that both Andy and Caroline are VERY hard working and both run a tight ship.

Why don’t we change this thread to talk about the bigger issues like which is best (Daddy or Chips)

Come on people get a life…………no more mud flinging.
:ugh:

RAPA Pilot
1st Dec 2006, 14:45
eghi r20. Daddy is best. Ask my daughter!!!!!:O

eghi r20
1st Dec 2006, 15:02
Now this is more like it.:)

nice one.......RAPA Pilot

liquid sunshine
1st Dec 2006, 22:33
If everything i have read on this thread is to be believed then SF and any other operators who have come to grief at these "gates" at Lee would quite be quite within their rights to throw a hefty amount of mud ( not to say look for compensation) back at the aerodrome operator. Whilst I appreciate the aerodrome is unlicensed the aoerodrome operator still has a duty of care towards its clients. These gates would never be permitted at a licensed airfield as CAA rules and regs insist on minimum clearances to avoid exactly these situations. It would also be interesting to know whether the aerodrome operator risk assessed the operation of these gates. If they had done it properly then surely the operation of gates with insufficient clearances would have been a red flag issue especially as there appears to be limited alternatives. If the aerome owners take money from these companies then I would suggest that they have a duty of care to provide a facility which, outside any formal CAA rules & regs, is at the very least fit for purpose! :=

Steve.tyas
4th Dec 2006, 17:32
Sorry guys, I know little of Solent Flight other than they fly red planes.
However when I started my PPL course I wanted to fly locally as I live 3 miles from the airfield. Lee seemed the perfect place so I sought out the local school which at that time was Carrill Avation. I have been flying out of Lee with Carrill Avation all summer with out poblem (save for the bomb disposal issue). I am now nearing the end of my training (or so I am informed) and looking forward to flying chartered planes from Carrill for the forseeable future.
I can say nothing bad about Carrill Avation or indeed Solent Flight. However it would be a great shame if we lost access to Lee for future GA flying. Perhaps we should all try and think more positively and try and maintain access to this local facility which is very much needed in this area.

han1
6th Dec 2006, 17:35
just wondering if cabin doors 2 manual has ever flown out of lee and seen how small the gap is in the fencing? you seem very bitter for some reason! Solent flight is a very good school and the instructors are extremely professional and well trained. They simply can't get back to lee as they were the last ones in so they will be the first ones out. Alot of the land around the airfield is going to be built on and its rumoured that eventually it will just be the police and the rescue helicopter that will operate out of it.

CPLORBUST
4th May 2007, 20:51
:ugh:Han has got it right! As a current customer of the subject and an employee at Daedalus (Lee) I can asure you that Solent Flight was not engaged in any dodgy activities, scams or other similar factors!! Last in first out, and they will NOT be the last to leave!! There are big plans for Daedalus, and quite simply alot of business' do not feature in the plans.

Dysonsphere
6th May 2007, 00:23
Does this mean Lee is open for GA or just for training as its very handy for Portsmouth

Dave Gittins
8th May 2007, 09:07
Can confirm that Lee is open for GA as I flew one of Carill's Warriors on Saturday morning. .. dodging the gliders and Plod and bumping down a devlish taxiway

However as it is not licensed it is not performing training which is done by an instructor flying Lee to Bembridge and upon a touich and go there, the lesson starts.

For more info, why not call Caroline Rabson at Carill ? She can confirm whether visitor's may be allowed or whether it is restricted to residents only.

DGG

Nipper2
8th May 2007, 17:03
Unless I am seriously mistaken, the gates of hell will freeze over before any non-based aircraft are ever allowed into Lee.

It's run by Hampshire Police Air Service and whatever the question is the answer is 'no'. A more unpleasant arrogant bunch of people you would be hard pressed to meet.....

Dysonsphere
8th May 2007, 18:54
Cant say im suprised if the Police are involved all that nice Tarmac and wasted on a few movements a day