PDA

View Full Version : Incapacitated crew

apaddyinuk
5th Nov 2006, 11:22
Hello all,
Well this muppet here has fallen out of the attic and given myself a rather serious injury to my right Humurous (funny name for a not so funny bone to break) and I have now been told that I could be out of work for up to 3 months.
Great that I will now be given christmas and New Years off but crappy cos I now have to survive (fortunately Im back in my parents pad so no rent to pay) on only basic pay for the duration. I fortunately have adequate financial insurance and private medical care so Im not bothered about missing loan payments etc however Im more worried about getting extremely bored.

Can anyone offer tips for things to do while Im off sick that could perhaps earn me a little extra pocket money. Asking the company for ground work is not an option as I am now commuting from Ireland.

Thanks for the tips all.

T

slide blower
5th Nov 2006, 16:53
i donated my kidney to my sister just under 12 months ago and was sat on my ar#e for 3 months.the first 3 weeks i was not at my best (something of a understatement!).
when i was getting back up to speed the playstation got a hammering and the manager of my local blockbuster said i was his best customer!.
BEWARE!.dont let the local pub be your new best friend!.i almost did and when your body is just getttin used to the fact it has only one kidney it can get a bit messy (but thats a whole differernt story!).
good luck to you and happy mending.

tiggerific_69
5th Nov 2006, 16:59
make sure you try and keep as active as possible,otherwise you'll be asking for a bigger uniform size in a month.walking would definitely be one option.obviously,pprune is another one,maybe speak to an employment agency and see if you can get some call centre work or something similar for the time being.

cckat
6th Nov 2006, 21:09
Or, if you are interested in the gambling route, you can just post me your money instead. :p

My brother is an exceptionally active person who's just had an ankle reconstruction (too active, obviously) and he's going stir crazy, so I feel for you. Go for walks, take the chance to start a study - maybe a language, or anything else that will make your CV look prettier - here we have adult learning classes for everything from gardening to hairdressing to make up to dancing, go crazy, until you retire this will probably be the biggest (if not most comfortable) break you've had.

Call Centre work is an option (Hey, we've all done it - some of us returned to it in a misguided belief they didnt need to fly any more :(

I'd resist any dodgy internet WORK FROM HOME schemes!

kmp1
7th Nov 2006, 01:24
EBAY!!

I started it when I moved and posted adds for some junk I had lying around..... It's amazing what people will buy!

homesick rae
7th Nov 2006, 07:27
In a previous airline I was "seconded" to Crewing for 10 days when unable to fly....15 months later!!! Always worth asking if you can help in another department IMHO.

Good luck Paddy.

Cheers

HR

sinala1
7th Nov 2006, 07:45
Its a nice thought for paddy Homesick Rae, but paddy is currently commuting from Ireland so a ground job is apparently out of the question! :{

flybywire
7th Nov 2006, 10:11
Oh Paddy!!!!!! What's happened!!! Poor you, I really feel for you, my Dr has just signed me off for 2 weeks (I know, it'll go quick) and I already feel like I'll go nuts!!

Well, I have a solution for you, get pregnant :E and as you commute you won't be asked to go to work (too distant!) but will still get paid ;)

ShesGreatintheGalley
7th Nov 2006, 12:39
A) get pregnant
B) go on a holiday
C) stay home and earn money through eBay, get a local casual job etc
D) perhaps go and enrol in a language course or something full time for 2 months? i would love to have the time avail to be able to do something like that

A300Man-2005
7th Nov 2006, 14:31
Hello all,
Well this muppet here has fallen out of the attic and given myself a rather serious injury to my right Humurous (funny name for a not so funny bone to break) and I have now been told that I could be out of work for up to 3 months.
Great that I will now be given christmas and New Years off but crappy cos I now have to survive (fortunately Im back in my parents pad so no rent to pay) on only basic pay for the duration. I fortunately have adequate financial insurance and private medical care so Im not bothered about missing loan payments etc however Im more worried about getting extremely bored.
Can anyone offer tips for things to do while Im off sick that could perhaps earn me a little extra pocket money. Asking the company for ground work is not an option as I am now commuting from Ireland.
Thanks for the tips all.
T

Paddy,

Even with all those injuries and incapacitation, I know an airline in the Middle East who would gladly take you as CSD for three months temporary contract, doing double sectors every day to such lovely places as DXB/JED and CAI/BAH and so on............even if you are plastered up and unable to use your arms, you could still arm the doors with your feet, surely??????? ;)

Get well soon buddy xxxxx

Sensible
7th Nov 2006, 15:04
Originally posted by flybywireWell, I have a solution for you, get pregnant and as you commute you won't be asked to go to work (too distant!) but will still get paid

well, here is apaddyinuk's public profile "Irish Lad in UK, Ex Aerlingus and an airline in the Middle East now with a British one!!!! " So I'm not sure if he wants to try to take your advice there or not!:eek: :eek:

tiggerific_69
7th Nov 2006, 15:37
open uni do some short courses,have a look on their website www.open.ac.uk theyre very good and i would definitely recommend them,but for making money ebay is definitely a winner!

flybywire
7th Nov 2006, 16:22
Originally posted by flybywire
well, here is apaddyinuk's public profile "Irish Lad in UK, Ex Aerlingus and an airline in the Middle East now with a British one!!!! " So I'm not sure if he wants to try to take your advice there or not!:eek: :eek:#

As if I didn't know :E It was just a joke!! :ooh:

But seriously Paddy, with a bit of luck BA might even sponsor you through this amazing journey, just give the BANews a call and they'll come for an interview in no time!!! ;)

Rick Storm
7th Nov 2006, 16:23
Apaddyinuk....."Can anyone offer tips for things to do while Im off sick that could perhaps earn me a little extra pocket money"

Hi.....I have an expendable buget of about £500 per week, do you have a Santa/cheer leader costume? PM:E

RS

tescoapp
7th Nov 2006, 17:27
I would go and visit the local kids hospital to see if they want some organisers for xmas or see if the smaritians or childline need some help. Xmas is a busy time for both

slide blower
7th Nov 2006, 22:49
TESCOAPP.
comments like that could give me faith again in the humanity.

tescoapp
8th Nov 2006, 13:44
Nah the kids hospital is pure and simple good fun.

You could also see if the company is looking for CRM facilitators.

The course is only a week and you would release someone back to the line. And its another bonus for your CV.

apaddyinuk
13th Nov 2006, 19:53
Thanks all for you tips...It was a fun read.

Well Im on the route to becoming a gambeling addict now which is great. Im also trying to figure out if its feasible for this man to become pregnant as that would really tie me over for a while. I actually am already an OU student in my third year so I have that at least to tie me over for a few hours a day.

A300MAN 2005....Your going to laugh but I have decided to pop down to Doha on Saturday for a few weeks for a bit of TLC from the folks...maybe ill get a few Double BAH shifts...think I still have my old QR uniform hanging in the wardrobe!

Well all, I have decided that I actually rather like being off sick. Yes life is a tad limited when your missing use of an arm but im enjoying having no jetlag and not sparking up the same conversations with strangers every week I go to work!!! I now fully intend on kicking back and making the mkost of my time off. It is made even more sweet because I dont have BA screaming down the phone to ask when Ill be fit enough to come back to work because at least the have the brains to know that a broken arm is a broken arm!!!

So to you all...keep me updated as to whats happening in the flying world and have fun!

A300Man-2005
14th Nov 2006, 13:55
Wow! I will pop over to Doha to see you then! LOL. By the way, are you flying down on the Speedbird via BAH, or coming directly on the Grey Goat?

If it is the latter, I highly recommend the QR012 from LHR at 1400hrs. It will be on the new A340-600. Amazing ride. (There is an A330-300 departing just ten minutes later too.) Arriving DOH at midnight and just early enough to catch last orders at Paloma.

Or else take the QR076 from LGW, arriving DOH at 19:45, in which case you will be at Paloma even BEFORE it opens.

Have a great time.

apaddyinuk
15th Nov 2006, 11:20
Ill be popping down on the 330 for a reason However I plan hopefully on sampling the lovely F lounge on the ol 340 on my return back!!!...Just incase your wondering why Im not going with my own airline....I dont do stopovers! mwahahahahaha!

A300Man-2005
16th Nov 2006, 11:48
My dear, I think I know EXACTLY the reason why you are taking the A330 flight.......let's hope Doha rostering doesn't spoil your theory. :ok:

So, are you flying down in F, J or Y?? And back in F???

The lounge in F class is nice and exclusive, as there is only a maximum of 8 pax in the cabin.

However, in J, there are 48 seats (I think) and the lounge area can get a bit crowded from time to time with loitering passengers, making it difficult for the crew to get any rest whatsoever in that area (you will see what I mean).

"Welcome to the State of Qatar. We have just landed at...........you know the rest!"