PDA

View Full Version : Market Forces...

canuck revenger
4th Nov 2006, 20:42
Well, as you can see by this article...the potential supply of Pilots worldwide is arguably shrinking rapidly. CX can continue to think that they are the 'employer of choice'..but I think the new year will see a much different picture starting to develop. When pilots have a choice....I believe the antics of the past few years (once the public is made aware) will see CX as a pretty poor choice in comparison to other major airlines around the world.

Northwest may recall hundreds of pilots

EAGAN, Minn. - Northwest Airlines Corp., which is working to emerge from bankruptcy, is planning to recall hundreds of furloughed pilots this year and next, more than it initially said it would recall, the pilot's union said.

Northwest, the nation's fifth-largest airline, sent letters to at least 425 pilots seeking to recall them as of Oct. 10 and expects to recall about 150 pilots more in the first half of 2007, according to a letter from Tim Campbell, Northwest vice president to pilots that was obtained by the Pioneer Press.

That is a large increase over the 40 or 50 pilots it told its pilots' union in August it would recall this year, the union said.

"We have been recalling pilots for the past three months to meet our needs," Northwest spokesman Roman Blahoski told the St. Paul newspaper.

The airline, which laid off up to 729 pilots after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, reduced service and filed for bankruptcy reorganization in September 2005, said it was recalling the pilots because of increased business and to fill spots vacated by pilots who had left the company.

The union said the pilot shortage had caused an increase in flight cancellations.

Bureau of Transportation Statistics show Northwest reported 693 canceled flights in September_1.9 percent of 36,358 scheduled flights. That compared with 492 canceled flights, or 1.3 percent, a year earlier.

:D

cpdude
4th Nov 2006, 21:11
Well, as you can see by this article...the potential supply of Pilots worldwide is arguably shrinking rapidly. CX can continue to think that they are the 'employer of choice'..but I think the new year will see a much different picture starting to develop. When pilots have a choice....I believe the antics of the past few years (once the public is made aware) will see CX as a pretty poor choice in comparison to other major airlines around the world.

I agree and wonder why an American would not want to build seniority in a USA major or Freight airline. Quality of life and life-long medical would be reason enough for me. Unless of course there is a reason they want out of the US!:eek:

Mink
5th Nov 2006, 04:26
Things do seem to be starting to head the other direction (up, that is) in the US industry. FDX, UPS, CAL, SWA, Alaska all hiring; UAL, AA, NWA and others recalling. Would be interesting to know how many no shows CX has been having for interviews, or worse yet, for training dates. Also wonder if any furloughed US guys have left CX for recall back in the US.

All that being said, if pilots think they'll have "security" - retirement, medical and whatnot - in the US, think again. Maybe at UPS or FDX, but rumors of those pensions going away are out there. The good old days are long gone. No news flash there, I'm sure.

CX still has plenty to offer in terms of pay, prestige and stability, but if any of the negative stuff posted here about upgrade selection and the training environment is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), then it would seem the troubles for CX in recruiting and/or keeping US pilots might become significant.

There are undoubtedly those that will find a very happy home at CX no matter what goes on in the US market, but in general, I would think the company would have to start thinking about doing more to "lure" folks there as things continue to recover in the US.

But, I could be all wrong....:rolleyes:

Stereolab
5th Nov 2006, 17:04
I think the biggest problem here in the States is the large supply of Regional CA's and FO's. There isn't any movement at all. Getting into UPS, FEDEX and SWA?...you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice. Still way too many pilots in the States. Things are getting better though...but it will take some time to clear-up the backlog of pilots. Regionals treat their pilots very poorly...so CX looks pretty good to many here in the States.

I keep hearing these CX training dept horror stories. Some say it's exagerated, other say they are true. I can't see how a company can fire people on a "whim" after spending all that time and money on training. Any clarifications on these stories?

All-in all, I would rather take my chances at CX, than battling it out in regional airline hell...

cpdude
5th Nov 2006, 18:17
I can't see how a company can fire people on a "whim" after spending all that time and money on training. Any clarifications on these stories?

It's not on a "whim", but it is at times, for reasons that would NOT get you fired in a North American airline.

Stability..thats the best one of them all. A rolling three month contract at CX that can be terminated at a whim. At least five sims a year that are jeopardy rides, and a three leg check ride thats done single pilot. Say the wrong thing around management, have a ride that the checker doesnt like the way you speak...oh yeah, very secure enviorment.

That is very exaggerated! If you show up, do your job and prepare for your checks like you should...you will never get fired!
You may still get challenged, frustrated, Cat B'd and possibly have a rough time at CX, but do your job and you won't get fired. What happens is the frustration of the crap at times gets to the best of us and before you know it you snap at crew control or make a dumb remark to a manager/checker and all of a sudden that door gets a little closer.:oh:

CMOTDibler
6th Nov 2006, 05:43
Perhaps a good indicator of how CX is perceived, and the current state of the aviation market, will be how quickly and to what standard CX can fill all the new DEFO slots in OZ and Europe.

Although things have picked up in the States will that effect CX's ability to recruit downunder and from European regionals?

Pilots from NZ and OZ in particular are not spoilt for choice with an inability to work in either the US or Europe. Still if CX have difficulty in filling DEFO slots in Nth America it may lead to an improvement in the AOA's negotiating position wrt pay and conditions. Is this the point that you are infering Canuck A? Or have I mis-construed.

Numero Crunchero
6th Nov 2006, 19:01
You North american types are lucky..us ozzies, kiwis and yarpies have much more limited range