PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Channel Islands

jonkil
4th Nov 2006, 20:31
What procedure do I need to follow to fly VFR to Channel Islands, Jersey to be exact?
Is it the same as flying to the Isle of Man ?
Planning a flight to France and wish to stop off overnight in Jersey to visit friends.

Thanks
Jon

vulcanpilot
5th Nov 2006, 18:35
What procedure do I need to follow to fly VFR to Channel Islands, Jersey to be exact?
Is it the same as flying to the Isle of Man ?
Planning a flight to France and wish to stop off overnight in Jersey to visit friends.

Thanks
Jon

FWIR, file a 'Special Branch' clearance at least 24 hours before departure & standard flight plan. You will need Mode C (realistically). Call Jersey Zone well before reaching 50°N & request zone entry (50°N is usually easy to spot as it's like a motorway for shipping :yuk: ). You will get a SVFR clearance and your routing will depend where you left the UK (I always went out via BHD & OH EGJB) - depending on rwy in use you should route to the NW corner for 09 (left base) or to the north coast with the TV mast on your right for a 27 right base join. Alternatively ask - Jersey ATC are more than helpful.

Hope this helps - ask if you need more specifics.

jonkil
5th Nov 2006, 21:08
Thanks VP,
I recall reading somewhere it was special VFR clearence... you have confirmed this.
Have been into Jersey Airport site and the aero club's site also and have found info regarding visiting.
Many thanks..... trip is during 2007 !.... so may well be back here popping some questions before travelling.
Trying to hold off installing mode C , just to establish if mode S will be a definate requirement anytime in the near future.

Thanks again,
Jon

IO540
6th Nov 2006, 09:23
No special branch "clearance" is needed - just a notification.

Send them a fax, keep the acknowledgement of it having been sent, and be prepared for some Plod to phone you in the early hours of the morning with a 3-digit "permission number". The Brits just love their job creation schemes.

The flight itself is a non-event. You have to be VFR, and yes being into Class A it is strictly speaking "Special VFR" and this is the clearance you get from Jersey or whatever. But the actual flight is just like any old VFR flight.

vulcanpilot
6th Nov 2006, 20:06
No special branch "clearance" is needed - just a notification.

Send them a fax, keep the acknowledgement of it having been sent, and be prepared for some Plod to phone you in the early hours of the morning with a 3-digit "permission number". The Brits just love their job creation schemes.

The flight itself is a non-event. You have to be VFR, and yes being into Class A it is strictly speaking "Special VFR" and this is the clearance you get from Jersey or whatever. But the actual flight is just like any old VFR flight.

Well, I tend to consider it a 'clearance' as the 'suited plods' have been known in the past to refuse the request (not me btw).

When I did my VP & retract checkout in our Arrow several years ago (1998 I think), we flew down to Jersey for lunch. I stupidly left the SB clearance to my instructor - he didn't and I had a message from ATC on our return to contact the local constabulary. They were quite quite nasty about it :mad: !

@Jon, the aero club are extremely friendly - they do all the handling now (used to be Aviation Beauport :ugh:) which means that you park on the grass at the areo club end of the field and its just a short walk down the slope (or steps) to the clubhouse. No fannying about waiting for the minibus. The just pop upstairs for a comfort break and a beer in the 'Millibar'. Say hello to Marcel :ok:

May see you there in 2007!

Cheers.

dublinpilot
6th Nov 2006, 21:57
several years ago (1998 I think)

The Terrorism Act is a 2000 act, so the legislation is different to what applied then......though you still need to give Special Branch 12 hours notification.

You need their permission if you are carrying passengers for reward.

On top of this, you will need to get Customs & Excise's permission. Notification is not good enough. The alternative is to leave from a customs designated airport (no notice required), or leave from a GAA aerodrome (12 hours notice required). This is because the CI are outside of the EU.

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/916/image1bx8.jpg