PDA

View Full Version : Exploding body parts ...

FullyFlapped
4th Nov 2006, 19:30
OK. I'll get straight to the point (no, honest, missus). I have a potentially delicate problem which has just come to my attention.

I am shortly to take some pax on a flight during which we will reach and maintain, for a short while, oxygen levels in my unpressurised aircraft. It has been brought to my attention that one of the pax has ... err ... well, they look most excellent, but they're obviously not "originals".

I remember reading somewhere about problems with implants and altitude. Is this just nonsense, or is there a genuine potential problem here ?

FF :ok:

IO540
4th Nov 2006, 19:45
Silicone b00bs are little (well, in the case of Jordan, not so little) plastic bags with liquid in them. Some, I believe those used for facial enhancement, are solid silicone mouldings.

None of this is going to go "pop" at altitude; there is no gas involved.

tescoapp
4th Nov 2006, 20:03
they tried this out on Myth busters on sky.

No explosions.

shortstripper
4th Nov 2006, 20:12
And if it were true? ....

Can you imagine the look of joy on her face as they grew and grew ... then the horror as the realisation of the inevitable dawned! :E

SS

FullyFlapped
4th Nov 2006, 21:01
Thanks guys ... We're all used to letting potential pax down, due to bad weather etc ... but can you imagine having to explain that to someone ?

:O :O :O :O :ouch:

FF :ok:

BRL
4th Nov 2006, 22:21
This thread is no good without pictures etc etc etc :D

Jinkster
4th Nov 2006, 23:14
I'll take her instead and then you dont get the blame ;)

chevvron
5th Nov 2006, 08:55
Many years ago, there was a 'confection' called a 'Munchmallow'. These had a biscuit base, topped with a dome of gooey cream like stuff, the entire thing then being covered in chocolate. Apparently either BEA or BOAC used to serve these as a 'snack'. It was found however that in some cases, even in pressurised aircraft, the internal pressure would cause the filling to expand and thus the chocolate to burst, exposing an unsightly 'ring' of white when it was unwrapped.
Research was carried out in the high altitude chamber (decompression chamber) at IAM Farnborough; this resulted in the makers developing a porous biscuit which allowed pressure to equalise inside and outside the chocolate thus keepimg the whole thing intact!

scooter boy
5th Nov 2006, 09:11
Doesn't happen - high cohesive gel filled form-stable heavily textured implants do NOT explode at altitude.

How do I know - well I'm a plastic surgeon and this is the most popular operation I do. (in other words breast implants pay for my flying addiction!)

I have augmented many cabin crew and a couple of pilots. The best way to think of the implants is as built in airbags - they protect your ribs in the event of a crash.

Happy flying - no guesses about who gets to sit next to the pilot and press a few buttons!

SB

tescoapp
5th Nov 2006, 09:35
Just tell the lady pax that you have to perform a TUBE on her just to be safe.

If you don't know what TUBE is I am sure scooter boy can fill you in on the required method to make it look proffesional

Farmer 1
5th Nov 2006, 09:44
You should regard this as an opportunity, Mr Flapped.

As part of the preflight brief, you could mention certain risks involved with the drop in pressure. Throw in a couple of technical phrases - those intended to confuse the unknowing - and stress that in some cases a physical examination needs to be carried out. Lay on the responsibilities of the aircraft commander, etc, etc. towards his passengers. Just think of the possibilities - the world could be your lobster.

Kinky - moi?

What colour hair does the lady have, by the way?

chevvron
5th Nov 2006, 10:19
God isn't that Scooter Boy a lucky b.....d!

shortstripper
5th Nov 2006, 10:30
God isn't that Scooter Boy a lucky b.....d!

I can think of MANY MANY less desirable occupations .... me jealous? :hmm: :\ :ugh: :{

SS

BEagle
5th Nov 2006, 12:09
Just explain that any 'expansion', although slight, would be uncomfortable if the items in question were to be trussed up in constricting undergarments. Whereas a bra-less t-shirt would be ideal....:E

ShyTorque
5th Nov 2006, 12:46
I would be satisfied with a visual inspection every 1,000ft in the climb and a FEEL check every ten minutes in the cruise. :E

Lister Noble
5th Nov 2006, 16:04
I have augmented many cabin crew and a couple of pilots. SB

The mind boggles!
Dare we ask which sex?;) ;) ;) well the original one anyway:} :E
Lister:)