PDA

View Full Version : PAY

JB10
4th Nov 2006, 16:23
Hey There,

Just thinking of switching from airline and converting to helis. Wonder what the pay scales are like in the diff sectors i.e charter, oil rigs etc..

Thanks in advance

HeliComparator
4th Nov 2006, 18:17
N Sea oil support aprox figures (depending on seniority) - copilots 40-55k, captains 65-85k. Probably a pay-cut for you but its a much better lifestyle due to the airport being closed at night and virtually no nightstops - you are tucked up at home in bed every night!

And a predictable roster - you know which days you are working and which are "off" for the forseeable future. Down-side is its likely to take some time to get command depending on the company.

HC

HOGE
4th Nov 2006, 20:46
Are you mad?

Use your better take home pay from the airlines to go and fly helicopters when it suits you!

HeliComparator
4th Nov 2006, 20:56
HOGE - unfortunately as an airline pilot you are too tired from 02:00 starts etc to enjoy your better takehome pay - that is why we have had a number of people return from airline work to fly the N Sea again - its the lifestyle issue.
HC

JB10
5th Nov 2006, 09:28
Thanks for the replies guys. Heli has hit the nail right on the head, too many early starts etc and want a new challenge. Only trouble is the money to train. Shame that none of my airline IFR time will count towards a license.:ugh:

Cheers

N Arslow
5th Nov 2006, 10:26
Good luck, JB10 - and also to Liftman in the other thread.

Doesn't it say something that pay isn't the be-all and end-all. Things I like about my job:

Variety
The roster
Hands on flying (still, after nearly 3000hrs)
My manager recognizing my voice over the phone (because the company is small enough - not because I am always in the guano!)
Finding some things still a challenge and meeting them often enough to keep me interested.
Boarding an airliner waiting for the drinks trolley to come down the aisle...:)

212man
5th Nov 2006, 23:02
JB10, not sure about your comment about time and licence. You can use FW time to count towards half of the 1500 hours for an ATPL(H), and with a FW IR you can effectively 'train to pass standard' for the IR(H) rather than doing the full approved course. You'll also be exempt the MCC course requirements.

Impress to inflate
6th Nov 2006, 12:13
It's the wearing of rubber that does it for me, not the great pay, brilliant roster or as many bacon butties one can scoff.