PDA

View Full Version : Mouse irritations

tlf
4th Nov 2006, 16:19
Does anybody else find the little descriptive box that pops up in Windows XP and other versions when you put the mouse cursor on something irritating?
It sure annoys the crap out of me.
Anyone know of a way to turn this feature off?

Saab Dastard
4th Nov 2006, 16:39
Yes -

Disable Balloon Tips (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729/en-us)

Usual caveats apply about editing registry.

SD

Farrell
4th Nov 2006, 17:04
Actually quite handy for this forum. Hover mouse over thread titles in the main menu to see the first few lines of the thread. Saves loads of time if it's not worth opening!

tlf
13th Nov 2006, 11:38
Yes -

Disable Balloon Tips (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729/en-us)

Usual caveats apply about editing registry.

SD

Well that didn't seem to work, strange.

tlf
13th Nov 2006, 11:40
Actually quite handy for this forum. Hover mouse over thread titles in the main menu to see the first few lines of the thread. Saves loads of time if it's not worth opening!

It's actually on this site that I seem to find it most irritating.
Oh well, different people have different opinions I guess.

spannersatcx
13th Nov 2006, 17:48
That's different, that is to do with the html coding, "on mouse over". Don't think you can turn that off.

BOAC
13th Nov 2006, 20:47
tlf - can you be a bit more specific about what you are seeing? EG on the forum main page, tell us which particular 'balloon' on which word it is you want rid of.

tlf
13th Nov 2006, 22:16
It happens everywhere in XP
On the desktop if you put the mouse on an icon it tells you the path associated with that icon.
Open up control panel and put it on an icon another little box pops open telling me what the icon is.
As Spannersatcx said I think what occurs on this site is a function of this site and although I find it irritating that I can't have the mouse anywhere in the thread column without a description occurring there's probably nothing I can do about that.
It's just that after all these years of using windows I really don't need to be told what the icons are before I click on them.
:hmm:

Keef
13th Nov 2006, 22:45
I can't remember how I did it now (too many days ago), but I edited the "descriptions" on the icons to be blank. If the little window pops up, I don't see it!

tlf
14th Nov 2006, 00:22
BINGO!

Did a help search for descriptions and found the answer.

Setting is under Folder Options in control panel.

Thanks very much for the help :)