PDA

View Full Version : LHR-AKL and back in 5 days

TightSlot
4th Nov 2006, 12:00
For reasons too complicated to go into, I'm rostered out to NZ and back on a very short trip - I hoped that you folks could help out with a couple of questions please?

Air NZ outbound via LAX, returning via HKG in business class round trip - do I need to ration the movies I watch outbound so that there is something to see on the inbound, or are the westerly/easterly IFE programmes different.
Air NZ web site says that US style plugs will fit into their laptop sockets - anyone know if a UK to US adapter will fit or are there size restrictions on the actual socket?
2 hours in HKG on the way home - is there somewhere I can take a shower and freshen up?
Do Air NZ carry any amenity packs with a razor in so that I can shave, or should I invest in a cheapie electric razor? I assume that you're not allowed to bring your own razor in cabin baggage?
Any comment on the nature of J class seats on Air NZ?

I'm sorry if these questions strike some of you as naive - it is very, very rare for me to travel as a passenger on longhaul, and I'm a little out of touch. Thanks in anticipation.

The_Banking_Scot
4th Nov 2006, 20:14
Hi Tightslot,

The NZ J class seat ( Business premier) is the same as the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Suite ( it was licensed from VS ie a seat which folds over to a fully flat bed. ( it is an excellent flat bed albeit it could do with a bit more recline in seat mode but overall very good- you should enjoy it

Details on the NZ business product can be found here;

http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/travelinfo/ontheplane/business/business_premier.htm

Details on the AVOD IFE can be found;

http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/travelinfo/ontheplane/inflightentertainment/new_digital_system.htm

You probably will not get bored!

Regards

TBS

PAXboy
4th Nov 2006, 20:32
My sympathies for such a trip, even in Biz.
With regards to HKG in transit. There is a Plaza Premium Lounge

Location: Airside - take escalators near Gate 40 to West Hall, Departures Level 7. Transit passengers can access the Lounge via the escalators near W1 to reach Departures the Level.
Opening Hours: 06:00 - 00:00 daily.

Looking at: Check Lap Kok (http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/index.html) Follow the Passenger Guide tab then see:
Waiting for a connecting flight and feeling tired? A stopover at the beauty salon or the foot massage centres could make the rest of your journey more enjoyable. Or you can take a shower at our shower rooms located on the Departure Level 7, West Hall.

Plaza Shower & Relaxation Lounge
After flying a long and tiring flight, you will find the Plaza Shower and Relaxation lounge a lovely place to freshen yourself up. Occupying an area of 2,000 sq. ft., the lounge consists of eight shower rooms, two hair blow-dry rooms, and nine semi-private rooms for napping. The lounge is located at the Level 7 Departures West Hall, near Gate 60. Enjoy the facilities and relax before your next journey.

For more information, please visit the lounge's website www.plaza-asia.com or write an email to [email protected].

Hope this helps and make sure that you have NOTHING booked for at least two days after you get back. :zzz: :zzz:

Middle Seat
4th Nov 2006, 20:33
Review the inflight enteretainment guide when you board to LAX. Look at what's being offered on what legs, and plan accordingly. Take a book just in case. Nothing to complex, I'd think. And since its AVOD, all the better!

TightSlot
4th Nov 2006, 21:09
Thanks so much - I knew that you folks would have all of the answers. Very kind of you.

I'll post back in here if I come across anything of note during the trip.

Thanks again

Globaliser
6th Nov 2006, 19:13
2 hours in HKG on the way home - is there somewhere I can take a shower and freshen up?As you're in J, the fare ought to include access to a business class lounge. Unfortunately, it looks like NZ uses the UA lounge (http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/airline_lounges.html) at HKG. More unfortunately, the UA page (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,50359,00.html) is silent about showers.

You might want to search another FTorum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=504) to see whether there's better news about that lounge. Otherwise, paying for a different lounge may be the only option.

As for strategy on board, my top tip is to sleep as much as possible, to the extent of ignoring meals and movies if you can. There is nothing like a lot of sleep to help the process of recovery from the flight.

Leezyjet
7th Nov 2006, 01:30
As far as I'm aware there are no restrctions with regards to razors in hand luggage, so you should be ok. I've never had a problem when I take mine.

:)

TightSlot
10th Nov 2006, 22:47
Just wishing you all well from crew hotel in Fiji (a hardship posting) - half way round more or less - astonishing how little sleep the human body can endure. My today is probably your tomorrow, unless you too are here in which case it is still today.

Thanks again for the advice - AKL beckons in 2 hours time - rugby shopping fro kids.

TightSlot
18th Nov 2006, 07:58
Well, i'm back - actually I've been back for some time, but only now have I regained the powers of speech, thought and writing. Thanks all for the advice and here is what I learned.

AVOD is impressive, but it doesn't always work. There was a fair amount of resetting of individual screens required, and one one sector, a server reboot with the system u/s for much of the time. A worry, given that my aircraft was positioning out for maintenance, including the fitting of an AVOD system. It is also worth noting that the best AVOD system in the world is not much use if the featured movie content is anodyne, or just plain old.
Air New Zealand struck me as highly impressive, striking a pleasant balance between oriental fawning, american brashness and british reserve (generalisations, I know) - I just like the relaxed but efficient way they manage their flights. The crew were consistently attentive and charming, without being obtrusive. I like them
Lie flat beds were invented by God for longhaul - I i'll probably never see them again!
Nobody in their right mind would transit LAX or any other US airport when HKG exists as an alternative. I know that folk have commented in here about US transits before, but seeing the reasons why the process is so unpleasant first hand is educational. LAX treats you as some form of human contamination, HAZMAT if you will - HKG treats you as a welcome guest and shopper.
Skype was invented for crew, and is worth its' weight in gold - macbooks and Skype are even better.

So that's it for now on longhaul - back to Euro shorts and family life with nights in my own pit. I'm not sure I'd want longhaul all the time, but it sure is nice to get out occasionally