PDA

View Full Version : Andy Gutteridge honoured by Guild of Air Pilots

Flying Lawyer
3rd Nov 2006, 18:00
http://www.gapan.org/images/guild.gif

The Pike Trophy
Awarded to the individual who, in the opinion of the Court of the Guild, has made an outstanding contribution to the maintenance of high standards of basic flying instruction and safety. The award, which is bestowed on candidates not on active service in Her Majesty’s Regular Forces, takes into account working conditions and opportunities.

Awarded to: CAPTAIN ANDREW GUTTERIDGE

Citation:

Captain Andy Gutteridge joined the RAF as a Halton Apprentice in 1962, completed fixed wing flying training on the Jet Provost in 1965 and shortly after moved on to helicopters. He subsequently flew in many operational theatres around the world instructing and examining various Air Forces on numerous rotary types.

On leaving the Royal Air Force, he joined Oxford Aviation Training eventually running an AOC and training operation at Oxford. Until his retirement earlier this year, he was the CFI(H) and Helicopter Training Manager providing most types of rotary courses, including type rating training on eight types of helicopter for military and civil customers from all over the world. He is a Type Rating Instructor, Type Rating Examiner, Flight Examiner and Flight Instructor Examiner and has been responsible for the Private, Commercial and Military training and testing of several hundred helicopter pilots accumulating over 5,500 hrs of instruction.

A much respected, consummate, compassionate and highly experienced instructor, admired by his peers, and who has made an outstanding contribution to the maintenance of high standards of basic flying instruction and safety, Captain Andrew Gutteridge is awarded The Pike Trophy.

The Trophy was presented at the Guildhall, London.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Banquet7.jpg

More details here: Trophies & Awards Banquet (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249880)

Other awards here: Awards (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250869)

Link: Guild of Air Pilots (http://www.gapan.org/)

(Picture © Gerald Sharp Photography)

Blade Wake
3rd Nov 2006, 21:38
Delighted to hear the news. A first class individual, an excellent role model, no ego, not condescending, just a perfect gentleman who brought joy in learning to fly helicopters to so many. His exuberance, kindness and that wonderful sense of humour forged memories that shall always accompany me in my career.

verticalhold
4th Nov 2006, 08:18
A very well deserved reward for a superb pilot and one of the all time great instructors.

I last flew with Andy for an LPC in May this year. As ever it was a useful learning experience carried out with his usual humour and aplomb, and many references to my utter incompetence as an original Gutteridge product.

A long and happy retirement Andy, your standards have helped make my career happy and interesting, thank you.

VH

Thud_and_Blunder
6th Nov 2006, 04:39
"Admired by his peers" - well, in my opinion there are very few people around who can truly claim the accolade of being one of Andy's equivalents. A very well deserved award.

I had the pleasure of being taught how to fly the AB205 by Andy in the early 1980s. However, it was the knowledge he imparted on how to operate the aircraft - in an environment vastly different from the normal RAF NW Europe/ Hong Kong versions I was used to - that really helped. All this while he was running a unit made up of serving- and ex-UK military, ex-Rhodesian Air Force and brand-new Omani pilots. He made it look easy.

Later, I also had the pleasure of working with some of Andy's more recent ex-students. Notwithstanding the "interesting" features of the job brought about by purely local considerations, it was clear that they had been taught incredibly thoroughly. The notable point, though, was that every single one of these ex-OAT students still held their time training with Andy to have been the most enjoyable part of their working lives. Thanks, Andy, for having given those 8 lads the best possible start to a career in flying.

puntosaurus
6th Nov 2006, 06:16
A good man, no doubt about it. Happy retirement. Has Glenda taken over at Oxford or have they got someone new in ?

oldbeefer
6th Nov 2006, 08:11
Have known Andy since the late '60s - a smashing bloke and a thoroughly well deserved award.

SEL
8th Nov 2006, 00:35
Definately well deserved! He's simply a legend. He had to be to have got me through my CPL and FI, despite my best efforts!

His expertise showed in his relaxed manner and teaching style whilst always getting the lesson across. Not to mention being a truly nice bloke! In retiring he has left a big gap and I second the earlier comment on his peers!

Well done Wing.Co.!!

Steve

Helipilot1982
9th Nov 2006, 11:30
Couldn't agree with you all any more. Andy Gutteridge - a top chap and a pleasure to be taught by him. Good luck Andy and we all wish you well with your retirement.
Quote;

"A good man, no doubt about it. Happy retirement. Has Glenda taken over at Oxford or have they got someone new in ?"

It looks like there is no one to replace him and last I heard is that OAT are stopping their helicopter training and selling their H269's

heliski22
19th Oct 2007, 07:46
Did my FI test with Andy many moons ago! Congratulations, very well deserved!

Bravo73
19th Oct 2007, 07:50
Keep up, heliski.

Andy won the award nearly a year ago! ;)