PDA

View Full Version : PC keeps freezing

Suppers Ready
3rd Nov 2006, 16:48
Hi guys - hope you can help.
For the past 2-3 weeks it takes 5-8 attempts to start up my home pc.
I did have Norton everything on it, but reading how mince (fine Scottish word!) it is, I have uninstalled - except for Utilities which keep s coming up 'file corrupted, unable to uninstall".
The constant freezing is driving me insane.
Help!!!
Thanks

Forgot to say - Im runnng XP home

Mercenary Pilot
3rd Nov 2006, 16:57
Hi

I take it the "lock-ups" started happening AFTER you uninstalled norton?

Check this thread out, it contains a link to the norton removal tool. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248985)

frostbite
3rd Nov 2006, 16:57
Have a look in your startup - Start>Run> type msconfig then go to startup tab and see if there's anything Norton related.

Use a registry checker/cleaner to see if there's anything N related left over.

Suppers Ready
3rd Nov 2006, 17:01
hI MP
Started before removing Norton. I thought removing it all would stop the lock up - Thanks - used the tool to remove as much as I could...except the Utilities.

Frostbite
I will try that and see whats there.
....if I can get it started!

Thanks for your help

Suppers Ready
3rd Nov 2006, 21:23
Me again. Home now

Still locking up - 7 times before I could get in.

Frostbite - the only thing was Norton protected files.

Any ideas for a registry checker/cleaner.
Pls also bear in mind that my knowledge of the workings of computer land is veeeerrry limited.

thanks

SR

IO540
4th Nov 2006, 07:23
If it locks up solid, it's probably either a low level driver issue, or a hardware issue and that can just be a bad connection.

I have just cured one such PC, by unplugging all connectors and re-plugging them, and doing the same with all PCI cards and memory modules.

In extreme cases, the best thing is to purchase an exact identical motherboard (on Ebay; always a good place for old computer gear) and just swap it out.

Mac the Knife
4th Nov 2006, 10:21
Pull the memory modules, clean the connectors with circuit cleaner and replug.

Mantra: PCs MUST be able to run MemTest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ - overnight with no errors, otherwise they'll never be stable.

Most of the unstable systems I see have memory misconfigured in the BIOS setup - usually with overaggressive or innappropriate timings.

:ok:

Suppers Ready
4th Nov 2006, 11:43
Mac and IO
Please bear with me.
Where are the memory modules and PCI cards?
As I have said - I'm totally pc illiterate.
Thanks again
SR

Saab Dastard
4th Nov 2006, 16:54
Suppers Ready,

If you are not comfortable opening the PC case and extracting the innards, you should bring it to a PC repair shop (they are not all cowboys!). Most independent PC shops will be glad to get a few quid to strip, reassemble and test.

Analogy is with cars - if you aren't able to get under the hood (bonnet) to fix things, then take it to a garage.

SD

spannersatcx
4th Nov 2006, 17:05
Just like my car went back to the garage 6 times before they fixed it:{ or have they:eek:

I use registrybooster (http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/)

Suppers Ready
4th Nov 2006, 19:41
OK - thanks for all your help
Cheers
SR